1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Jacket advice

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Amphib, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    Agreed. That said, my jacket does seem to make things moist as of late in a big downpour..might mention that to Klim when I send the jacket in for repair.
    Old gerbings jacket here too. Inner pockets are coming apart, but it still works as intended. Getting good mileage out of that one for sure!
    Amphib likes this.
  2. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also wear the Thor impact rig. Love it.
    Amphib likes this.
  3. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Man, I'm loving all the input. I really appreciate it guys... Thank you!
    CaseyB likes this.
  4. SASteve

SASteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't you report that to Gore and get a replacement jacket? Thought that was one of the big deals about Goretex
  5. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm thinking. The goretex might be letting water through. So will mention it when the jacket goes in for warranty.
  6. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Been wearing my 2018 Latitude the last few days, 70° in the morning and 90°-92° in the afternoons. With just a cotton polo shirt on, absolutely no issue being too warm. I'm not even needing to open any of the vents, although I have done it just to see how easy or difficult it was while riding. No probs - this will be a keeper. :) I will need to get some better short-cuff gloves though, the jacket is better suited for the sleeves being over the gloves. I am also going to upgrade the armor to Level 2, as I am just more at ease with the higher rated pads. Disclaimer on the temp thing - everyone has different heat tolerance levels, I'm very comfortable in 90° weather, some folks can't tolerate it. Conversely, I will be putting my heated liner on when it hits around 55°, lol.
    Amphib likes this.
  7. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    I had a Darien for a few years, back in 2014. Great jacket for all weather but one flaw for me was no liner. It was like wearing an old Army surplus tent. Now I've got a Latitude. Much more comfy, and feels more painted onto my hourglass figure.
    Huckwheat and Amphib like this.
  8. Amphib

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  9. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    Not sure this is the issue with your case, but Goretex needs to be clean and able to breath to work correctly. Perhaps the pores are dirty (jacket needs washed), and depending on how many times its been wet, a re-application of DWR. The Goretex itself really never wears out, it’s just a material with microscopic holes that let moist air out, but are too small to let rain drops in.
    Amphib likes this.
  10. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    it's relatively clean. I rarely wash it, unless absolutely needed. Might give that a go 1st, as they are washer safe, or can go in the washwer.
    I do wear an airbag vest over the jacket, so that may have something to do with it. There's something in contact of the jacket on about 40% of the jacket.
  11. YourPal

YourPal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really wanted KLIM gear and tried several different jackets. I was between sizes. I needed the large for room in the arms and chest to layer if necessary. I needed the medium for the length of arms and torso.
    I came across an inmate selling the Rukka ROR and decided to try it. The fit was perfect, amazing quality, goretex, could add pads or wear armor underneath, great venting, and light weight. Before this jacket I had never thought about Rukka but now I'm sold on it. KLIM is great stuff if you can find one that fits. Rukka has a broader range of sizing in jackets and pants.
    Amphib, Junglejeff1 and STLR like this.
  12. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A wicking base layer may be a better choice,especially in humid climates.
    Cotton tends to hold the moisture and dries slowly.

JR356
  13. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gore Tex needs to be washed and dried per directions, or it will eventually stop working just from road grime. Then dwr to make water bead up.
    Cheap and easy. Sold on amazon.
    https://www.nikwax.com/en-us/products/productdetail.php?productid=677&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1
  14. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    :). The cotton polo’s are just to work. I normally wear polyester tech shirts when riding for pleasure.
  15. Motogasoline

Motogasoline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a heated liner and heated gloves. Simply having a long sleeve thermal shirt, the e liner, and a riding jacket is good as it gets. I ride in well below freezing temps amd have never bought a super expensive jacket.
  16. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv 2016 Africa Twin DCT No.272

Oddometer:
    Good experience with Sand 3 here. Can be hot in summer but lots of vents. I took out knee armor and use leatte dual axis knee guards before I out on pants. I would buy it again. I put liner in late fall and keep in until late March. Ride all year with just an additional layer of polar fleece and hot hands stuffed in the gloves. I don’t worry about getting wet in the summer. In fact I pull over and dump water on my shirt because it’s my AC.
    Amphib likes this.
  17. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    my go-to 3 season (cool, cold and wet) touring jacket for the last 23 years has been a Darien jacket.
    I'm on my third. My first one is fine, it just shrunk a little, my second one lasted me for years of a daily commute.
    until it de-laminated, and my current one I got in 2014.

It's an unlined, laminated shell, for comfort I wear either a liner jacket or at least a long sleeve shirt under the jacket.
    It's boring, it's boxy, it is totally unflattering.
    It's also durable, waterproof, comfortable and most important to me, utterly forgettable while on the bike.

Next time around I don't know if I'd replace it with another. but I thought that about my Dairen pants and after a year of looking for a decent replacement, I broke down and ordered up another pair.

I get about 8-11 years out of my Darien jackets and about 4 years out of the pants, (I wear the pants on just about every ride I take, where the jacket is only about every other or every third one)
    Amphib likes this.
  18. Amphib

Oddometer:
  19. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    I gave that jacket a good look and a couple things removed it from the list for me. One, the "monkey paw" thingy on the ends of the jacket sleeves is a joke, WTF, but I'm guessing you could cut it off (and hope the jacket doesn't come unraveled, lol). Two, every review I have seen states that it's not very comfortable above 75°. I know heat tolerance is pretty personal to each person (mine is very high), but if just about everyone is saying 75°, then I was willing to bet it'd be miserable above 90°, lol.
    Amphib likes this.
  20. Amphib

Oddometer:
    Yeah, was just reading that. Also just watched the video and the fit and finish does not look as good as in the photo. Looks all bunched up in the armpits.

Hoping there was going to be a late entry to come in and keep me from drinking the expensive kool-aid, but not sure it's gonna happen. :lol3