Jackson, WY trail info

Discussion in 'Sports' started by slowarc, Aug 13, 2019.

1. slowarc

slowarc Mind-Body Experiment Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am now living half or more of my time in Jackson, WY. I currently have my gravel and cross country bikes with me. Been riding the Game Creek area a bit because it is close to where I am staying. As of 8-15, I have a home in Hidden Ranch across from the Jackson Whole Grocer and on the bike path. It appears as though Cache is a popular riding area but I have yet to get to explore it. I will next week I am sure. Any advice or guidance from someone with local knowledge would be greatly appreciated. I will bring a SS and roadie out soon.
    mick likes this.
  2. Bappo

Bappo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Game Creek trail to cache Creek trail then bike path back to start was a fav of mine and the only one I know right out of town. You already know the paved bike paths go about anywhere. Ummm, Blacks Canyon is great as are about anything starting at the top of Teton Pass. I know Victor/Driggs trails better though.

An XC bike will have troubles on Blacks though. Most of the pickups will haul you back up the pass, nice folks.
    mick likes this.
  3. slowarc

Oddometer:
    Yeah, seems like all mountain and downhill is bigger here than the XC stuff. In the Ozarks of NW AR it is all XC for days and days. I would just hate to have to buy another toy! :lol3

I am working from the Teton Co Library today, still no internet at the house. I plan hit Cache from the bike path when done.
    Thanks!
    mick and Bappo like this.
  4. Bappo

Bappo Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you get over to Driggs, the Bighole Challenge is a great 17 or so mile XC trail that would also be fun on a gravel bike if it is is good shape. 5 mile uphill gravel road followed by a 7 mile singletrack descent and then gravel and paved back.

There are a lot of road bikers in your area as well. And don't forget LOTOJA.
  5. SnipTheDog

SnipTheDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why is this in Sports?
  6. slowarc

Oddometer:
    Because that is where I put it. Any other questions noob?
  7. SnipTheDog

SnipTheDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, we got another internet tough guy here.
    KSO likes this.
  8. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m a western movie fan, and found myself in Jackson Hole about 10 yrs ago with 2 days to spare and throughly entertained myself with a little 8x11 map of filming sites of old westerns....favorite was “Shane”...apparently totally filmed in Jackson...below link should help find a number of movie filming sites...Also Moose Pond just north of Jackson will almost always have several moose grazing the bottoms of the lake. Go to Moose Pond at 8-9:00PM if here a 100+ elk bugling.

https://www.bestofthetetons.com/2014/12/16/shane-the-epic-western-movie-filmed-in-jackson-hole/

Isn’t this supposed to be in SPORTS?
  9. pratered

pratered Jackpiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Used to live in Hidden Ranch, we would ride up Snow King and come down on Josie’s Ridge, or drop into Leeks Canyon then to Game Creek and ride the road home.
    Admittedly it’s been years since I’ve done Blacks Canyon so things may have changed but, our XC bikes of the day handled it fine. And, they were rigid frame.
    Also Shadow Mtn has some nice riding. Or, Munger Mtn.
    Sink or Swim goes across Snow King so you can ride it to Cache Creek and the Putt Putt back.
    Welcome to the Hole!
  10. slowarc

Oddometer:
    I did KC to Sink or Swim yesterday. Great climbs. I hiked Josie's this morning. Most of it is off limits to bikes now. A local that has been riding here a while turned me on to a great app, Trail Forks. It has helped immensely. Thanks for the welcome. I think Hidden Ranch is going to be a great hood.
    mick, pratered and Bappo like this.
  11. slowarc

Oddometer:
    Great info, thanks! And yes, it is a SPORT! Some people just wanna shit on stuff. Go figure.
    LewisNClark likes this.
  12. pratered

pratered Jackpiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wish I could honestly say ‘I’ll go Mtn. Biking’ with you but, it’s been too long. Last time I did the Cache-Game Creek race I was 45, over twenty years ago, and haven’t been on one in at least ten years. Wish I’d never stopped.
    If you ride dirt bikes though, I still do that. Going to ride Horsetail Creek tomorrow, gotta get a few more loops in before it closes Sept. 9 - season is going fast!
    Like your Avatar, is it a selfie?
  13. slowarc

Oddometer:
    That is my "before" photo!
    About done with this move. Hope to be back on the trails soon. My bikes are in AR for now.
    pratered likes this.
  14. mick

mick speedtrippy

Oddometer:
    PM Sent.