Jacksonville and North Florida Classic Adventure Dual Sport (CADS) Club

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by twthinking, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philip Kuntz

Philip Kuntz Fleasy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, there are rules here, but wheelies are allowed. I am so confused. :cry
    [​IMG]
  2. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
    Nice wheelie. You and Inept ought to compare notes! :deal
  3. twthinking

twthinking Shut up and ride

Oddometer:
    Allowed and encouraged!!!:D Just not on the public streets of Florida. That picture was taken on the Blue Ridge Parkway at about 5200ft elevation. Harder to do there but still just as much fun as at sea level.:evil
  4. Dr.Z

Oddometer:

Why, is it illegal or something? :augie
  5. twthinking

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm glad you didn't see the wheelies that I did on the Saturday ride. I was in "stealth mode":evil and only doing them when I was waiting on the rest of the group. Don't tell Bill, he hates it when I do them, esp. when I ride them for a short distance. We'll make it our little secret.:nono
  6. twthinking

Oddometer:
    Yes, in Florida it is illegal. $1000.00 fine first time $3000.00 fine second time and $5000.00 third time and a free trip to visit the local iron gate hotel for each occurrence.:puke1
  7. Dr.Z

Oddometer:

Riding wheelies is a lot like cheating... It ain't cheating if you don't get caught. :deal
  8. twthinking

Oddometer:
    I like the way you think!!!:evil
  9. Dr.Z

Oddometer:

There's a lot of peeps that have the same views. :deal You need to make it to BQF to find out. :nod
  10. twthinking

Oddometer:
    Some of our club members are going. I may make it if this week goes well. Got to get work things done first you know.:eek1
  11. twthinking

Oddometer:
    There seems to be some confusion about the ride tomorrow.
    Yes ,we will have a ride on Sunday the 31<SUP>st</SUP> of January. Bill will lead a ride Sunday, January 31<SUP>st</SUP> 2010. Meet at Orangedale on Sunday 1-31-10 at 10:30AM. Kickstands up at 11:00AM (planned). Due to rain on Saturday we have no idea what to expect of trail conditions. So buck up and join us and we'll find out together. We may even have another adventure like last Sunday, you just never know. This will be the last announcement of the CADS club ride on Sunday January 31<SUP>st</SUP> 2010.
    Hope to see you there!
    Dean

This posting is a copy of the email sent to the membership.
  12. Mugwest

Mugwest "You mean the REAL world!?"

Oddometer:
    "I'd never be a member of a club that would let someone like me in." --Groucho

Good energy going on in Jax looks like. Y'all def have the posts-per-day thing down :lol3

:thumb
  13. twthinking

Oddometer:
    Thanks, come over to Jax and join us for a ride sometime.:beer
  14. HelenWheels

HelenWheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This was one of the sweetest rides I've ever had, but from what I'd been lead to believe about Florida rides, I sure didn't think that the sugar sand was as much of a concern as I'd imagined. I believe yesterday's rain must have been holding those little grains together for this North Georgia visitor. There were definately times during the ride that I yearned for the sheer power of my DR 650, alternating with gratitude for the lightness of the XT 225. Feminine pride precludes me making anybody wait for me at start ups as well as on the road: I don't want to be "the chick in the group." Any group. Thank goodness I was able, finally, to accept an oft-given invitation to a CADS ride of this caliber and find that they excelled at the difficult balance between treating me like a female and a rider at the same time.

Special thanks go to Wolfgang, the most spirited, competent, and entertaining riding partner I've ever had. YZ2KLR for his encouragement and expertise through the sand despite his street tires, Mr. Bill for his outstanding leadership and knowledge of the area's fine dirt roads, the tall gentleman on the red KLR (another first time CADS rider) who made me feel very welcome and provided quite a few good lines to follow through some of the more technical bits, the Anthony Hopkins look alike with his sand blistering KTM 9?? who's mud is still on the front of my jacket, and for Dean, who's thankless picture taking will be entertaining us on this site for days (a thinly disguised plea for posting at least one picture of myself riding with a great group of guys today).

Here's hoping that I see most of you again soon when you come up to my end of the world to ride - free camping for CADS in the paddocks, barn, or near the stream, in the middle of world class mountain riding.
  15. yz2klr

yz2klr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was great to ride with you again. :wave It seems like it is always cold when you come down here for a ride. :vardy

:ricky The riding conditons were spectacular today. Despite the lower displacement of your XT, you dropped me like a bad habit on that last sandy section.

I thought the group rode very well together.

I appreciate the ride leader/sweep efforts keeping the group together. GREAT JOB:clap
  16. twthinking

Oddometer:
    It was a pleasure to have you join us on our ride today. You can join us again anytime, I don&#8217;t care what that mean old Wolfgang says about you.:evil He just didn&#8217;t want me to bring any beads.:lol3 But seriously you don&#8217;t have to worry about that &#8220;chick in the group&#8221; thing. You held your own quite nicely. Every time that I rode around you, you were doing very well, better than some of the guys, but as a male I can&#8217;t admit that in public. Oops is that in writing? Anyway you may be female but you are a rider as well! As for that &#8220;thinly disguised plea for posting at least one picture&#8221; I&#8217;ll do you a few better and up you a video to boot! I really hope that you do come back and join us again. Next time though you can leave Wolfgang behind. Just kidding Wolfgang, you know a ride just wouldn&#8217;t be the same without you. Thanks for your kind words, hope to see you again soon.
    Dean
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm uploading the videos so keep looking for a link to the video that you're in. I'll post it as soon as it's ready.
    Dean
  17. twthinking

Oddometer:
  18. kaosrider

kaosrider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pictures and video Dean.. Phil looked like he has his hands full in some of that sand :clap

That looks like some nice new stomping grounds. :wink:
  19. VTWINtoxicated

VTWINtoxicated Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kaos... You don't know the half of it. I almost busted more times than I can remember. Seeing this video really emphasises the need to discipline myself to keep my damn feet on the pegs. This GS is my first dirt bike - what I mean to say is it's the first bike I've ridden off road - period. So everything is an adventure for me. I did ride a dirt bike some as a kid, but that doesn't help me much. I also used to mountain bike pretty seriously, $4000 bike and all. The mountain bike experience is really helping me until I put the kick stand up.

I can't believe how cool the GS is. I absolutely love the bike. However, I will be purchasing something a little easier to take off road. That way I'm not beating the GS too much.

I've enjoyed the rides and the people on them. Everyone is always helpful, supportive and positive in advising me anytime it looks like I may need some help. I remember the first ride I went on with these guys, they really helped me out. I felt like a moron, but I didn't care, I want what they have. That experience and skill off road. The only way I'm going to get it is to help Dean produce more "almost busted" videos until I learn.

You know, when you really take a good honest look at yourself, with the ego and the over confidence put aside, you can really identify where you need improvement. I can see I have allot to learn and I'm enjoying the process.

It really takes me back to June of 2002. I had just purchased my very first true sport bike, an '02 Honda RC51 (Dean will tell you I should have got the Gixer) and rode it every night until I got the 300 mile service interval completed. Then I loaded it with soft luggage and rode it with 4 friends (they were on their own bike of course) to the Honda Hoot in Ashville. I put 2800 miles on that RC in 5 days. I won't tell you how much my backside hurt, but it was hell getting home. I'll never forget - we went through Deals Gap on the way up. While I'm riding the Gap on my brand new RC51, felling like the baddest Moe Foe on the planet, a guy passes me, in the corner, riding an ST1100 with a chick on the back. Man, all of a sudden my feet couldn't touch the pegs, I was just a small man hanging on to the tank bag. My ego shrunk so much that I felt like an idiot for thinking I could really ride. In that brief moment, that rider changed my life (motor cycle life anyway). He made me look at myself in an honest way, with out my ego and over confidence clouding my self image, I was able to set new goals to truly be a good rider.

So I've come full circle. I'm reliving that experience every time I ride with the group - every time I try to get better - every time Wolfman seems to go faster - and every time I laugh in my helmat at how much fun it all is.

See you next time...:D
  20. Dr.Z

Oddometer:
    Well said. :thumb

It doesn't matter how good a rider you think you are, there's always somebody that will humble you with their skills whether its on the dirt or on the tarmac. The most important thing to remember is to ride your own ride and try not to get hurt. BTW, there's no substitute for peg time. The more you have, the better your skills will be. :deal
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.