JacO's 04 KTM 950 Build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by JacoBeRacing, Jan 19, 2019.

1. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello!

My name is Jacob and I am new to the whole adventure riding thing but I am very excited to get out there and experience it. Back in August sometime I purchased this 2004 KTM 950 Adventure from a good buddy of mine for a whopping $2,400. It has 50,000 miles but runs well. I knew when I bought it that it needed some work, but I am finding out that practically nothing was done to this bike since the day he started riding it outside of overdue oil changes now and then. Also, this bike is quite the handful when it comes to access for regular maintenance items. Anyways, on to some pictures.

Here are a few of the bike in the state that I got it:
    lA2iYcB.jpg PPALiJ2.jpg rfH0x4r.jpg 8TqSS9W - Imgur.jpg

It has your usual modes like crash bars, luggage rack, Richs seat (PO took out a bunch of foam), throttle lock cruise control, 12V aux port, bark busters, hand warmers, and a touring windscreen. My buddy also tossed in an OEM tank bag and the grey KTM hard side bags along with the stock windscreen and tool kit.

As you can more than likely see, the tread on the rear tire was practically non existent. Some things that aren't very visible is the leaking fork seals, leaking clutch master cylinder, leaking slave cylinder, and bad battery. The bike also has a few electrical gremlins like a flickering oil light when cold and a temperamental neutral safety switch that will kill the bike when you put the kick stand down even though your in neutral. The last thing that really bothered me was the valve tick and the overall filthiness.

Honestly, I could have probably just gotten new tires, slapped in a new battery, resealed the forks, and replaced the clutch master/slave cylinder and been on my merry way, but I tend to overdue things...

My plans for this bike are as follows:
    - Deep clean the entire bike
    - New tires (done)
    - New wheel/sprocket hub bearings (done)
    - Brake caliper rebuild (done)
    - New brake pads (done)
    - Fork and shock rebuild and resprung (done)
    - New Magura clutch master cylinder (done)
    - New Oberon clutch slave cylinder and mounting plate (done)
    - Valve check/adjustment (done)
    - New cam chain tensioners (done)
    - CJ Designs water pump upgrade (done)
    - SAS removal and cannisterectomy
    - New neutral safety switch (cleaned)
    - Shorai lithium ion battery
    - Additional 12V aux
    - Oil change
    - K&N air filter
    - New spark plugs
    - Dynamic Motorcycle Accessories long luggage rack
    - Dynamic Motorcycle Accessories passenger backrest
    - High fender conversion
    - New grips (done)
    - Fix the tank bubbles (at some point)
    - Fork mounted fog lights (at some point)
    Jeff Sichoe and oic like this.
  2. NVTS

NVTS Are you ennen oh eff tee Supporter

Oddometer:
    JacoBeRacing likes this.
  3. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I have found that site many times just through random searches, and it has some great info. Now I know how to get there, thanks!
  4. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I started by taking the forks, shock, wheels, and front brake calipers off and then took the gas tank and the rest of the fairings off as well. Then I took the lot down to our local race shop and my sponsor, KFG Racing so that they could rebuild everything and put new rubber on. I went with the Heidnau K60 Scout tire’s cause I heard good things about them.

Excuse the messy garage, we’re renting and it’s all I got right now.
    CBA94E76-7FE1-41CC-8864-64ABE63F864A.jpeg B0CBB601-CAB8-4B7B-81E8-F89170BB6FDA.jpeg B2CFA1B1-F561-4EEE-B0EF-CAC9572FDD6F.jpeg FDC79CE9-17E4-403B-8AF1-736FE20FB8BE.jpeg

After that I removed the air box and throttle bodies which was quite the PITA! But I got it taken care of. I cleaned each piece of the air box and every fairing I took off, which were covered in dust and caked in road grime. Now that they have been sitting so long they are no doubt covered in dust again.
    hock2e likes this.
  5. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I got the top of the air box off and removed the air filter I saw this nasty sludge in the front intake port, but the rear was completely clear. I’m hoping it’s not a serious issue. I’m thinking more like bad gas. What do you guys think?
    7B42AD56-1660-4629-A038-6F05CCE2D9BA.jpeg 22BF3323-C6CC-4339-9DFF-6DD610F60B54.jpeg
  6. dsrtuckteezy

dsrtuckteezy BLEEDING ORANGE

Oddometer:
    that "sludge" is from the crankcase breather/vent

also consider moving this thread to "orange crush" sub-forum. you'll get a lot of help there
    JimVonBaden and JacoBeRacing like this.
  7. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok cool. So that’s normal then right?
  8. dsrtuckteezy

Oddometer:
    more or less. you can re-route that hose out of the airbox and put a small breather on the end if youd like
    JacoBeRacing likes this.
  9. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I may look into that, would be nice to extend it to a place where you can easily change out the breather on it.
  10. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After cleaning up the mess in the throttle bodies I took the rear cylinder valve cover off and measured the clearances and made notes of the adjustments I had to make. To avoid knocking loose a bunch of debris after taking the front valve cover off I decided to remove the radiator and eventually the oil tank. I didn’t want to knock a bunch of crap down into the skid plate area, so I decided to remove that and start cleaning the components down there. Check this out:

574F8A0B-AF59-451E-AAA2-5F40239375DA.jpeg EF82CC5D-7DCB-42FA-986F-EBA03D4F7F4F.jpeg CFD62B78-53DA-42FA-A3FB-79542142002E.jpeg AE28F15A-1390-4825-9994-1932EA2FA7EC.jpeg

I figured most of the electrical issues were probably just bad/dirty connectors, so I had to clean all this crud up.
  11. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And the battery box:
    A726CDA7-6022-4C53-B361-C419BAD60857.jpeg

Amongst all of these dirty parts I did manage to find one of the r/r wires was cut and probably caused the burnt wire you can see in these photos.
    C4A22317-4355-40EA-8558-C5A7573AE6A0.jpeg

I cleaned the plug, removed 6,000 pounds of dielectric grease, and covered up the exposed wire and taped it all up.

Afterwards I sat there and cleaned all this up for hours and came up with this end result: 791535F4-2A0B-4132-80F2-5B95C976798F.jpeg

Attached Files:

12. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    CC59C9DE-D23C-4C6A-A73F-CAB156AEDBAE.jpeg 63EEAFD3-0858-4B14-AC26-ECEE894307DB.jpeg 5D3FE3C9-E553-4DEF-B0A2-EE9CA14F246D.jpeg
    81D81657-C1A5-4AF8-971B-0142A118FFA9.jpeg
    Here’s a good shot of the half and half since I haven’t touched the heads yet.
    nzrian and Power Band Junkie like this.
  13. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    That discolored wire closest to your thumb in that picture looks like overheating from INSIDE the plug connection. The wire missing the insulation in a spot is a rub thru from the wire vibrating against something. I would be very wary of that plug. I know nothing about your bike, but three larger gauge wires like that says "stator wiring" to me. If it was mine, I would cut the thing out and solder/shrink wrap all three wires. And they need to be in some sort of armor to prevent rub thru. I usually just slit an appropriate length of thick wall vinyl tubing or automotive water hose and secure it with tie wraps.

Being a former Buell owner, I am familiar with the spooge in the throttle body thing. You need a catch can with a filtered vent and drain. If you just unhook the vent tube and put a filter on it, it will blow spooge on your motorcycle. The catch can with drain controls when and where you want to drain it.

And great work on cleaning that mess out. Crap like that is breeding ground for gremilns, especially the electrical ones.
    JacoBeRacing likes this.
  14. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Then I drained and removed the radiator as well as the kickstand and exposed a whole lot more crap that needs to be cleaned off. 8FBDE9E6-7594-48DD-97B3-AC95FD6B0A13.jpeg DCF37C6C-F64E-42C9-8887-342206D52AF3.jpeg F24374E7-F5B5-4D13-8D54-70823FA83C7D.jpeg
    The next step for me is to clean the radiator, do a general clean up of everything I run into, remove the oil tank, and measure the valve clearances on the front cylinder. That’s pretty much where I am at now. I have received all of the parts back from KFG so once I have the valve adjustment done I am going to remove the water pump cover and send it to CJs for him to rebuild. In the meantime I am going to change out the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder and once it’s back I should be ready to throw everything together and call it a wrap!
  15. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea for sure! I insulated the wires separately and then wrapped them all up tight with electrical tape. I will make sure that they are zip tied away from any danger zones as well. They are the wires that go from the stator plug to the regulator rectifier. I’ve had a few of them with cooked looking wires from a short or bad connections on previous bikes and I’ve just kept my eye on them. I plan to do the same with this one, and if I have to I can replace the stator and r/r as a combo deal later down the line.
  16. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I updated the “to-do” list at the beginning of this thread to include the SAS removal and cannisterectomy, and maybe I’ll eventually put some different cans on it. The SAS and EBC removal seems like it makes the whole tank/air box/throttle body removal a whole lot more straight forward and overall much neater.
  17. dsrtuckteezy

Oddometer:
    a rottweiler intake makes it REALLY straight forward!
  18. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw on that site that he had some premade connections along with the block off plates so you don’t have to solder in resistors, is that what your talking about?

Also I realized I never acknowledged what you said earlier about putting this in the orange crush section, is this not a good spot for builds?
  19. dsrtuckteezy

Oddometer:
    JacoBeRacing likes this.
  20. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh yea, I see what your saying. Yea that definitely makes it easier haha. A little spendier than I would like, especially since I already bought my K&N air filter... but something to think about.