JacO's 04 KTM 950 Build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by JacoBeRacing, Jan 19, 2019.

1. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I drained, removed, and cleaned the oil tank today. What came out was not pretty... It looked like coagulated blood/jelly for the first second or two, not to mention like the heaviest oil I’ve ever seen. Reassuring my thoughts that the services to this thing were more thank likely completed as half assedly as possible and irregularly. Before removing the oil tank I removed the front header since I have to take it off anyways for access to the side cover later. It also makes it easier for cleaning.

By the way, does any one replace these pinch style hose clamps that the factory uses? I am thinking about putting standard hose clamps on them.
    198C5DA9-D159-4595-8A18-41A34FD34E4E.jpeg
    Here is what the connection underneath the oil screen looked like, reminds me of diesel oil:
    2B0EC44A-9823-4FC4-966E-CC761A5B8DF9.jpeg
    Here’s some examples of just how dirty this thing is:
    C75F0A95-5FA0-443C-A5A8-7907D10BAD44.jpeg 77704805-101D-48F9-A8B1-FC63984E5E2A.jpeg
    Next up is the front valve clearances and possibly replacing the shims. What takes some a few hours is taking me several hours on several days... Hahahaha. Mainly cause I’m not in a rush and want to get everything cleaned up.
  2. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also, I thought it would be interesting to note that everything I was uncertain of how to reconnect is all going to be removed with the SAS removal and cannisterectomy. So I don’t have to worry about it anyways!! I cannot wait to get rid of all of this emissions crap, it is going to be so clean after it’s all gone. 76697FAD-6715-4FEE-93A0-33BCC66BA5A2.jpeg
  3. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    IMO, that's not normal and indicative to me that your water pump seal is leaking coolant into the engine oil (seems to follow since your oil looked nasty). Was the radiator / coolant tank full when you drained it? If the bike had been losing coolant it was probably going into the case. I would definitely replace the water pump assembly (shaft, seal, impeller, bearings). Not bad since you already have the bike apart.
    JacoBeRacing and MAXVERT like this.
  4. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    As above you need to have a mod move this to the OC and you will get better feed back on what need to be done
    to get this bike buffed out .

Max
  5. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea that’s on the to-do list as part of this build. More so for peace of mind because the oil did not look milky at all and the radiator was full of bright green antifreeze.
    GoGoGavin41 likes this.
  6. Pedec

Pedec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow your buddy who owned bike before really pushed the durability of the bike with zero maintenance. Going to nice bike when done and you will know bike really well.
    JacoBeRacing likes this.
  7. neil w

neil w Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Personally I would buy a cheap oil filter and oil and then when you put it back together stick it and the oil in then run it up to temperature before dropping the oil and putting in the new genuine filter and better oil.

Even then I would consider a further oil and filter change after 500 miles or so just to clean all of the crap out of the system
    JacoBeRacing likes this.
  8. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea that was my plan, but I was thinking of only doing one quick flush and filter change. Now that you made me feel like a dirt bag, I may have to do 2. Hahaha jkin.
  9. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea I have a knack for making bikes pretty and reliable haha. The fiancé is under the impression this is going to be our cheap intermediate bike to get us into adventure riding, but that may be changing :p
  10. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would add an SH847 RR to the list.
  11. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its been a while since posting, and not only because I haven't touched the bike in forever, but I am also way behind on updating this thread. Cliff notes version, finished the valve adjustment, installed the new CCT's, installed the CJ Designs upgraded water pump and impeller kit, cleaned up the neutral sensor switch, replaced the oil filter, installed the oberon clutch slave M/C and mounting plate, installed the block off plates, replaced the grips, and cleaned up a lot more gunk. I also reinstalled the oil tank, radiator, shock, forks, and wheels with brand new rubber and wheel seals and transported it to our new home. Thats part of the reason I have been moving so slow, we have been settling into our new house. Getting motivated now to start working on the stead again, so more updates should be coming soon. The worst part is going to be figuring out how to route all the wires, cables, and gas lines again... I have been dreading that for some time. I also broke the resistor for the grip warmers, so I need to figure out what type of resistor I need to reinstall to get them working again. I couldn't make out what the numbers on the side said but it was the big white block style. I would rather go with a small resistor if I could. Any thoughts?

Pic's below!!

*edit, figured out the photos*

9DB1663F-4D16-4F79-8367-DDA77111B5A4.jpeg

364F7459-A6F9-4AC5-A282-CF0800A29A30.jpeg

41F83BAB-23B4-42D0-979E-AEC6CA2C42F5.jpeg

96408E07-4EFF-4290-ABF7-6818ED5D7F58.jpeg
    JagLite likes this.
  12. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Any thoughts.....yep...…restart this in the Orange Crush section of ADV rider......as other have said...you will receive more experienced help from riders who own / ride KTM.....

I have the same year, 04, and color 950 with 79,000 miles.
    I also have a 990 with less miles I just picked up a few months ago, that I put 175 miles on it today.

There are some KTM riders that visit this "Some Assembly Required" directory, but you will be missing a wealth of information to be had from a more focused KTM viewers.

One of the pains of a typical oil change is having to remove the gas tank to access the oil tank drain.
    That is one reason owns of thies bike put off a oil change, and bad mouth the bike as being a PITA to work on.
    I own 4 KTM's and do most all of my maintenance, and don't find them a pain to work on.
    Both of my bikes have quick flip valves that can be opened / closed without removing the gas tanks.
    There other tips / suggestions the KTM guys in OC know that the average rider will not have experience with.

Attaching photo is a snap when you figure it out.....only 4 at a time unless you pay the man...

Oh...good luck on keeping your dirt bike...clean as a street bike, if used proper.
    Not saying that bike you got was maintained proper.

Have fun on all the gravel roads that you did not ride your street bikes on.
    Cheers!

P8220087.JPG
    JagLite and JacoBeRacing like this.
  13. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Figured out the pictures again haha. I asked an Admin to move this thread to the Orange Crush, hope that helps. Just now realizing that is the KTM specific section of this forum lol. I don’t plan on keeping the bike sparkly clean all the time, just wanted to clean off the years of caked on crap so that I can just maintain it with monthly washes more or less.

More pictures below!

4EAA8116-4E5D-458C-A9D7-0940B17D81C7.jpeg
    09A37E90-AAE6-4F16-9A92-B29FC65C5DDA.jpeg
    7CE6413A-48CE-4112-8BD9-85855F13FD15.jpeg
    JagLite likes this.
  14. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be sure to pull the cams out and check the bearings in the heads. It's the canary, first thing to be starved for oil. Next thing is the tips on the cams and the bucket's tops. If they are ok, then everything else is probably ok.
    JacoBeRacing likes this.
  15. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea they all looked good, and I just so happen to have a photo to prove it lol.

42F99AE2-A162-4BD1-9A3A-DB00BCC4159B.jpeg
    JagLite likes this.
  16. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tips of the cams pitted? Probably not, looks good.
    JacoBeRacing likes this.
  17. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is the only photo I have of the tips of the cams, but they all looked pretty good to me.

A45F9CF7-B16C-4F29-9463-5520DF1742DA.jpeg
    JagLite likes this.
  18. tinwelp

tinwelp Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    All looks great to me... except maybe the regulator/rectifier connector, the crank breather seal, the tyres (obviously) and a bit of dirt. Invest in a steam washer... it'll be the best thing you've ever bought if you like things spangly. All those hours of cleaning could have been done in a few minutes!

I suggest you read through the HOW and yep, moving the thread to OC will improve the response rate to your questions.

Cheers... Paul
  19. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Follow all the update bulletins KTM put out, like the water pump seal material update.
    Looks like the PO did nota.
    There is a screen to pull out and clean in the oil tank...not sure if you found that one yet.
    I did see the fitting that fits up into it...pull it back off and stick your finger up the hole and pull the filter out and clean it, if not done already.
    I liked my 950 so much and up dated with a fresher one...felt so good riding it yesterday...really bonded with it the month...3K miles or more.
    You got a hell of a bike IMHO.

Oh...suspension fluids...need refreshed.
    Sorry if you did all this ...but better off reminding than not mentioning.
  20. JacoBeRacing

JacoBeRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha no worries! Redundancy is a good thing. I did the water pump seal and impeller update already, cleaned the oil screen in the tank and in the engine, and rebuilt and re-sprung the suspension completely, front and rear. I just purchased some Core Moto custom brake lines to compliment the high fender conversion. Seems like some people had lots of questions with the brake line routing and lengths etc... So if my set up works good I will be sure to post an update.