James Bay Road. Mozzies?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by djmase, Dec 31, 2007.

1. djmase

djmase something catchy.

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me what the situation is with the James Bay Road in regards to:
    -Mosquitos
    -Place to camp
    -Terrain
    -Vistas
    -Fresh water
    -etc.
    I am debating at what point in the summer of '08 to make a trip from SE Wisconsin to Hudson Bay with my dad...any info would be great.
    I have already been all over the James Bay Road webpage, looking for real rider reports.
    Bikes are 950adv and Wee-Strom. Looking to camp and rough-it more or less the entire trip.
    Cheers.
  2. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    T'were it me and my son attempting a little ADV together, I'd opt for Goose Bay over James Bay.

Why; you might wonder?

a) Goose Bay is a far more interesting trek if you are willing to spend the xtra time and $ to do the "maritimes". True, the "maritimes" are more touristy then 1000 miles of gravel road, but hey... you still get 700 miles of remote gravel anyways! Besides that...a couple restful ferry boat rides across northern blue water and a couple wood-grain motel rooms after that will be a rewarding triumph for old farts like your dad and me. :nod

The best ride report for Goose in my opinion: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92207&highlight=goose

The author (Munn) was most excellent in discribing what he experienced aboard a touring motorcycle. But more important for us is his assessment for fuel range and road surfaces.

b) I can assure you that Dad wants to do this trip with you more then you do. For him it is about sharing worthy experiences. James Bay is certainly worthy, but if you can give the old coot a little bit more "color" in the doing, he'll be grateful.

Think about it.

-another dad

PS: The word is September is better for bugs. However, I may try May....
  3. MZcountryboy

MZcountryboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great ride, no problem camping almost anywhere you like, bugs weren't too bad in august. Go for the Hydro Quebec tour. It's worth it.

If you like solitude, James bay is the place.

https://rider27.smugmug.com/gallery/3512099

I enjoyed the trip thoroughly, and want to do it again someday when I have more time to take side trips up in that region.

Bring a gas can.

Not a helluva lot of scenery, but the Hydro Quebec tour will excite anyone remotely interested in engineering or hydro power.
  4. djmase

djmase something catchy.

Oddometer:
    Pantah.
    Thanks for the thoughts. We are looking for a bit more of a vista trip, but do want some offroad riding. Suprisingly, I roped my dad into this trip. He loves bikes but has not ridden much his I was about 7, now I am 27 and I was itching to do a longer haul. He was all in when I suggested it. I will check out the goose bay thread, sounds right up our alley. We were thinking a straight Nova Scotia trip, but from home to there it is pretty straight forward tarmac, and people. We want to be able to camp along the way...anyhow.
    Cheers.