James bay Tran-taiga 2019 sept 2nd.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Fusa, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Fusa

Fusa My Ticket to Some Day

Oddometer:
    It is has begun.

Loaded up fusa and heading to James bay and trans taiga.

Doing the trip solo. Will wright a ride report when home and try to update a bit where I ca. B52F80CF-0DEB-41CA-AB98-F7251AE86454.jpeg
    Brenski, bobw, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  2. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. C.Hensley

C.Hensley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in :D
  4. Fusa

Oddometer:
    Ya know sometimes the universe is against you.

Took me for ever to get my head and bike into gear. Could not find anything around the house as I prepped the bike and looked for my gear that I didn't take the time to sort and store at the end of last season. Given I am in the middle of a 1 year reno on the house I have not ridden much and really wanted and needed this trip.

I had been putting it off and off as there was always something that needed to be done regarding the remodel but also realized I was out of time as the season ends quick in Canada given the weather.

So that is the backdrop as I left for the trip. Frustrated but packed I headed out.

I quickly settled into the rhythm of a long ride and enjoyed the early start to my journey not knowing what you happen.....you know the drill.

Started the day later than I want 7 something when I left and found that I was approaching Matagami around 8pm with the sun behind me that had set some 20 minutes earlier.

As the sun set I noticed my larger Clearwater lights were not on which significantly impacted my ability to see down the road. Funny thing was the lower set on the same power supply were operational. I looked at the switch and realized it didn't have power so put it down to a faulty switch and would seek to fix when I could. I do rely on these lights for trips like this.

What I also noticed is just how cold I was on the ride. I am from Canada so used to the cold...heck I used to scuba dive under the ice for hours at a time but I thought my oxford grips and Olympia headed jacket liner would fend off the cold. This was marginal on day 1.

When I woke in the morning I saw a beautiful day. Not a cloud in the sky lots of sun but then also noticed the water on the ground looked frozen? Stepping outside.....I was hit with the cold, could see my breath and saw frost on all of the vehicals. It was -2 Celcius. Yikes.

I checked the weather forecasts made a quick decision that the gear I had would not allow me to ride hour after hour in the middle of nowhere at those temperatures.

I had missed my window for this epic ride by 8 days. I was not a happy camper.

Defeated I headed home and lucky for me found a 7 hour rain storm to ride through at 11 degrees. Gear on full heat I found it manageable but less than ideal for a 12 hour ride home.

Once home I got a good nights rest and when I woke I decided to mitigate my losses and ride the MABDR. Bike was already loaded so at 2 pm I headed off to the US knowing I didn't have time to ride it all but would start.

3.jpg

Got to within an hour or so of Lawerenceville the start and made camp in a wind farm.

Next day was great. Perfect weather and quickly got the start of the MABDR riding it backwards. The opening section was amazing and just what I was looking for. Gravel / dirt but all easy and just the right amount of slide. Winding / up down loved it.

0.jpg

After a roughly 3 hours I reached and impass on the trail.

5.jpg

7.jpg

Seems a bridge was being rebuild so needed to backtrack and find a way around. This wasted about 45 minute but I found a way around. Things were going my way and was loving this ride. Oooppps spoke too soon.

For some unknown reason my bike started to surge. Now the night before I put regular in from a small station and immediately thought perhaps it was a bad batch. The surge was pretty bad. I drained the tank and put in premium and kept riding but the surge got worse?????

It was at that point I had to make a decision....go further into the US on small trail roads with little / no support / head to a dealer / or head home.

Given how all of these events compiled in my brain I decided after riding 2500 kms or so to head home to fight / right another day.

Then entire ride home the bike bucked and kicked making me feel any minute it would die but she kept going. As long as I had the throttle open to a sizable aperture it seemed fine but the second I was on minimal throttle it kicked and bucked which made me think perhaps a coil was going.

I am going to have to take it to the dealer as I just don't feeling like digging into with all on my plate.

So all in all heck of an experience and long days in the saddle but neither trip completed. Still always fun just not as satisfying as I expected.
    bobw and B10Dave like this.
  5. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Sucks when we DNF, but no injuries, etc. so the silver lining is a chance to get bike and gear sorted with Winter providing time for tidying details on the remodel and prepping for a proper Spring run!

Cheers
  6. Fusa

Oddometer:
    100% correct. Was still a fun venture and still met some cool people so time well spent. I purchased a DRZ400 new and expect to ride that on the COBDR mid summer. Would be nice to get one more ride that is sizable in but both of the others I tried likely too long. Still the James Bay I wish to complete so will look to try that one August when weather still warm but black flies are no longer and issue.

Did the Trans Lab a year ago and the black flies were something out of a Stephen King film.

Thanks for dropping by this thread even though it stopped before it really began.
    FirecrackerRed likes this.