James Bay Trans Taiga 2011

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by klondike1, Aug 19, 2011.

1. klondike1

klondike1 Nobody in particular

Oddometer:
    Just starting off a ride report so I can possibly update from phone when out on trip. Leaving crack of dawn next Friday the 26<sup>th</sup> of August and hope to make Matagami the first night.

This map shows rest of route from there and back towards home.
    transtaiga.jpg
    [​IMG]

If interested in seeing where I am you can follow me here
    http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=34924e3291520f650
  2. Lionheart007

Lionheart007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll certainly follow your trip but, if I may ask a purely academic question, after your first night camping how would I know whether your SPOT device was in the belly of a wandering polar bear or with you on your bike?
  3. klondike1

Oddometer:
    Well my spot is not set up for auto track. So unless the bear knows which button to push. Then it will be me.
  4. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    not much traffic on the trans taiga at this time last season, which made for some challenging road conditions. watch for vehicles approaching in your lane on those banked curves, they do it all the time. road in rougher shape above the dam at Brisay, including poorly marked washouts. out and back from the outfitter is 650km, know your fuel situation.
  5. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Safe travels, we did a similar trip a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I did a rr on it that has a bunch of info that might help in your planning.

Subscribed :lurk
  6. klondike1

Oddometer:
    I think i read your report. If not i have read a few and thanks for all the tips. I'll have 44 litres on board. 33 in tank(i can actually get more) and 2 5 litre jugs that i get about 5.5 in. I can ask this? Do you think it is worth bringing a spare set of tires? I put brand new TKC 80 on it for the trip. Since solo i would like the spares but don't want the load either. Thoughts?
  7. klondike1

Oddometer:
    First run with test packing today.
    [​IMG] IMG_0843.JPG IMG_0845.JPG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  8. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    One set will be fine I'd think :thumb

Take the time to stop along the TT, very cool remote feeling up there. The price at Mirage Outiftters sucks but the shower and included dinner, breakfast and a bag lunch for the next day are tasty and make up for it given your proximity to well....anywhere.

:freaky
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  9. klondike1

Oddometer:
    Thanks. was leaning that way i can patch or plug but was worried about a gash. I plan on camping and hotel/outfitter if raining
  10. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    the road above the Brisay dam gets little attention and is of different character than the rest of the road. plenty of boulders poking through and easy to damage a wheel if you're carrying any kind of speed. saw no vehicles except an outbound grader near the dam.

[​IMG]

if the weather is decent, there's a real nice spot to camp about 100km past Mirage on the right at a river bridge. some soft sand/gravel, careful where you point the bike. i didn't stay, it started raining just as i was about to unpack the bike.

[​IMG]

i carry tubes for travel on these somewhat remote roads in case of a cut tire. you need to be able to do your own tire work if necessary.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  11. klondike1

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I had read your report last year i think. I am looking forward to and with some apprehension.
  12. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    if you remember the report, riding into a sand hole was nearly my undoing on that road. i call them sand holes, but they're really just soft sections in the road surface where the fines from the aggregate have accumulated. could be 2m or 200m in length. found on all the northern gravel, they are troublesome on this road.

i read a report where a rider had wrecked in a big sand hole on a bridge approach two years earlier. i swear that hole was still there when i went through, and i could understand why he went down.

two 12GSAs were on that road two days ahead of me. they got fuel at Mirage, but not at Air Saguenay, so they were out and back with the fuel on the bike.
  13. klondike1

Oddometer:
    Thanks again.
  14. klondike1

Oddometer:
    Well at matagami campground. Bit of an iphone update. Good first day just over 1000kms. Looks like rains coming
  15. Dinski

Dinski n00b

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip. Looking forward to hearing more about James Bay.
  16. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  17. klondike1

Oddometer:
    I'ts coming. Just back to the land of the internet. It was awesome BTW
  18. Litespeed602

Litespeed602 Going in Circles

Oddometer:
    Have fun, I will be watching your progress. If you want to see a bear stop at the dump south of the Radisson airport
  19. klondike1

Oddometer:
    Day 1 Get the Hell out of Dodge 1030kms
    Well had quite the start to the trip. Off I went at 5:45 and got to the end of driveway to find out my tire was almost flat. Turn around and back I go. My wife happened to be in garage a said a loud &#8220;Great you decided not to go and spend time with me&#8221; tire fixed up and never an issue from there. The ride up was pretty much uneventful and put in 1030 kms to get myself to Matagami campground at about 7-7:30. Tent up and food in belly and beer I hand. It was a long day but really broke the back on getting myself up there post haste. Gas in Matagami was 1.33/l which I thought was fine for premium. My log makes note that I was not too keen on knobbies on pavement.(more on this later) Bed by 8:30 and lights out!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] JBRTTday1 (1).JPG JBRTTday1 (3).JPG
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  20. klondike1

Oddometer:
    Day 2 James Bay road 622kms
    Don’t drink anything carbonate before you get on this road!
    I was bumpy and may yumps spectacular scenery and hard to ride and look at same time. This roads need your attention.
    JBRTTday2 (28).JPG
    [​IMG]
    How to beat the weather
    Weather well my best description is if you wanted it to be sunny take off your sunglasses and if you wanted it to rain put on the leather gloves. To reverse this put sunglasses on if you wanted it to go grey and put on rain gloves if you wanted it to be nice. This progressed throughout the whole day like this. (I never won)

Multiple stops along way for photos including the Rupert. That must have been some torrent coming down . I would have a hard time believing it.
    [​IMG] JBRTTday2 (12).JPG
    Had lunch at Relais Outfitters and got gas. The gas guy handed me the pump and away I went. It started one of it’s rain showers again and when I went to give it back he was gone. Could see him from his shed looking out at me. I guess he does not have to work in the rain. 1.33/l for reg. I am not complaining. Over to the cafeteria for some lunch. I was cold from all the rain clear rain clear. Ordered a club poutin and had a coffee. Coffee was bad and no cream just some whitener. I guess I roughing it now. Club poutin was gone in about 2 minutes. Guess I was a bit more hungry than I thought.
    Stopped at the Trans Taiga road and decided to run down to the 10km marker just to see what it was like. Saw 2 vehicles I this distance. Got there no problems and thought great just 66 more of those and yer at the end!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got up to Radisson and had told myself I was going to camp if nice but hotel if not. Well it was not. Still raining on and off. Got gas at 1.66/l for premium and then over to the hotel. No answer. Waited around about 15-30 minutes still no one. Off to the campground to see what was up. Nature was calling! Everything was closed and no one around. Off to the woods. Much better now. Back to the hotel and nobody still there. I was a little ticked.
    Over to Chez Mikas for a bite to eat and practice my French. Got a Caesar salad and coffee(with cream) and then asked about when open for breakfast. Open at 6 was great to get me on the road early. Back to hotel and still no one. Screw it I will head back to TT and see if I can get down to a gravel pit and camp. Got about 10 kms down roads and decided it was a poor idea since it was getting late.
    JBRTTday2 (4).JPG JBRTTday2 (19).JPG
    Decided to go back to Radisson and just camp. If they give me trouble since it is closed well so be it. Back in town I thought well stop at hotel again and see and eureka there she was and said she was expecting me???? Then found out she was expecting someone else. Got a room and was fine. Won’t get into thread count on the sheets or anything but in warm and out of the rain.
    [​IMG]
    CavReconSGT likes this.