Jammin thru the Global South

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jammin, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Molonlabemike

Molonlabemike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm with Tae...thankfully my boss doesn't track my iPad use :deal

See you soon Jay!
  2. Keating

Keating Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    XDs come in plane colours, Silver, White, Black, etc.
    White and black are the cheapest, other colours cost $10 more, then the fancy styled ones usually cost another $25-50 or something.
    I'm guessing Jay got his via ebay, super discounted, as NOS since people buy the plain models and the stylized ones languish in warehouses...
  3. Jammin

Jammin Living on a DR

Oddometer:
    Haha. My mission of disrupting work continues! :lol3 See you next week :freaky

Excellent!

Yup, exactly. And I have an XS head (?) so this XD3 was lying unsold for a long time I guess. Graphics are cool but not for me.
  4. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    excellent ride report.

hope to see you on the 24th at century bmw.
  5. Jammin

Jammin Living on a DR

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Joel. See you in LA.

Packing my bags and getting ready for some long haul flights...

[​IMG]

If you're in the Bay Area, see you Thursday
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1425703524390654/
  6. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:
    Hey Jayanth! I'm in SF while you are here. I'll try to make it to your event!
    Hopefully we get to meet this time since we missed each other in Africa.
    Let me know if you want to organize a tour in Central America - i got the bikes in Nicaragua :deal
  7. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jay:
    That photo is epic. :clap :freaky
  8. Jammin

Jammin Living on a DR

Oddometer:
  9. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid Supporter

Oddometer:
    How'd it go with the talks?

Wish I had been able to make the one in Houston.
  10. Jammin

Jammin Living on a DR

Oddometer:
    The talks went well. Biggest turnout was in San Francisco and then Houston was next. I loved presenting against a motorhome in Death Valley :wink:
  11. Jammin

Jammin Living on a DR

Oddometer:
    Howdy folks! Just moved to Austin, Texas from India. The wife is doing a PhD at UT and I found a gig with this startup and the Jammin tours are still on (Peru next April). Good to be back! :ricky

I'm slowly getting settled in - still need to get a Texas license. And if you're wondering, I didn't bring sanDRina back with me. She's in India with a good friend who will take care of her and keep her running when I visit. So, I'm on the hunt for some new bikes and riding friends here in central Texas.

Might get another DR or might get something smaller and lighter. Any suggestions?

And if you're in Austin or around here, message me for some :beer

[​IMG]
    Getting on the plane with all my riding gear. Can't believe they let me on with motocross boots!

[​IMG]
    My buddy in India, Santosh, who I've left sanDRina with. He's going to be riding her in all these beautiful lands of southern India.

[​IMG]
    sanDRina will be enjoying the company of Santosh's other bikes.

[​IMG]
    Saying goodbye to the old gal for now. She's still running just great (almost 20 years old!). She'll be there waiting for me whenever I visit India next.
  12. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid Supporter

Oddometer:
    You got here, to Texas, just in time for the "cold" weather :lol3
  13. F.P.

F.P. Clown who is sick

Oddometer:
    Jammin Jay? Stateside?
    Welcome back!
  14. Jammin

Jammin Living on a DR

Oddometer:
    Ah right. It's going to be great to have almost year-round riding weather compared to Chicago :D

Yes, sir-ey! Now on the hunt for some new wheels... Thinking WR250R and maybe a sport bike... :brow
    Rotten Ronnie likes this.
  15. Kegler

Kegler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro and get some sumo wheels and you can kill two birds with one stone:) That's what I did after my DR650 gave up the ghost.
  16. Jammin

Jammin Living on a DR

Oddometer:
    Hmm, interesting. Hadn't considered Huskies. How do they handle on the highway (getting to the good stuff)?

I'm looking at ads for XR650R, WR250R, 690 Enduro R. I know the 250R is the odd ball here but it seems like an interesting idea (lighter bike for the trails). But then I'm probably going to head into Mehico every now and then and that's a fair bit of tarmac to ride to get there.

Need to learn more about the Husqvarna 701 :*sip*
  17. Kegler

Kegler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Husky 701 is basically a KTM 690 with some Husky refinements. The 2016 models have the 690 Enduro motor and for 2017 they installed the 690 Duke motor..........more horsepower and less vibration. That being said, my '16 model has plenty of power and I don't notice anymore vibration than my DR650 had. As for long distance riding the motor can handle it with no problem, but the plank they call a seat is the big issue:)

I have a friend (RoadDad here on AdvRider) that has over 100,000 miles on a WR250R and he is still riding it everyday. The only issue with the little WR, from my perspective, is the lack of power for interstate riding. Now granted, nobody wants to ride a dual sport on the interstate if they don't have to, but sometimes you do what you have to do and it is a little under powered for that. Combine that with the weight of the 701 (not much more than a WR) and the 701 wins.

I loved the simplicity of the DR650, but felt the need to move up in technology when I replaced the DR. Was it a good switch? Time will tell, but I can truthfully say every time I twist the throttle on the 701 I have a bigger smile on my face than I did with my DR. Top of the line brakes and much more sophisticated suspension make it heads and shoulders above my beloved DR. Oh, and strap on those SM wheels and you will become a hooligan in a New York second.......
  18. XTWalt

XTWalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome back Jay. It will be interesting to see what you decide on, being an experienced RTW guy. You should be able to see through the BS and emotions and make a methodical decision based on your needs. I went for the WR250R. If lots of "power" is your thing, look elsewhere. But otherwise, I find it an excellent adventure bike. Very capable in the dirt and smooth as silk on the slab. Strong sub-frame for racks, plenty of wattage for all you goodies. All that combined with exceptional reliability makes its something to consider.

Walt
  19. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    If you subscribe to the less is more philosophy and end up in the 250 range be sure and

See what the RX3 has to offer.Serious bang for the buck.....and a going on 3 year newcomer

That is gaining a durable,reliable reputation....along with a company,CSC that thoroughly and

Wholeheartedly backs their product.

Delphi FI,Siemens instrumentation,6-speed,twin radiators,USD forks

Low seat height,front and rear crash bars,side and top boxes

Dual row needlebearings suspension linkage in places

1 1/8 fat bars,gear indicator,dual accessory switch on handlebar

Steel braided brake lines,250 mile fuel range,cushioned rear hub

Windscreen,wide footpegs,3 oil filters/mag drain plug,all standard....

If this sounds like a sales pitch it could be....I have 2 and yeah I’ll sell you one.....

But 1st just come ride one....I’m in the hill country 45 minutes from you.
  20. Jammin

Jammin Living on a DR

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the perspective on the 701. Now I remember that there's a connection between the revival of Husky and KTM. I can imagine it has a lot more grunt than the DR, haha.

Hi Walt, thanks for the welcome. Feels good to be back. I'll tell you though, feels strange to meet people here in Texas who have never been over into Mexico. It's right there. Going to help the good folks at twtex get more riders south of the border.

I'm not looking for lots of power on the dirt but I do love speed and I'm coming down on the side of separating those riding needs - get a lighter dirt bike and a proper sports bike and don't mix the two and end up with a compromise. That's me now. But if I was setting off on a long adventure ride again, without a doubt I'd choose the DR.

The WR250R is looking like a great candidate. I rode one in 2015 in the Bay Area when I visited and another friend toured two-up all over the US on a WR. There's a new riding friend in Austin who said I can try his bike. Going to take him up on that.

I do subscribe to that philosophy :D
    Hey James, I'm going to come down and try that CSC of yours.