Jan 1, 2020 - Chiang Mai to Amsterdam (stage1 of my 5 year plan)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by TRX Rally, Dec 5, 2019.

1. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, not everything was free. They are brands i trust and believe in so happy to promote.
  2. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 4 - Dec 31 2019
    Thailand - Kyaikto to Bagan
    Long day through the center of Myanmar
    Distance today ~575km / 12 hours
    Sleep > Bagan Sense Hotel > https://www.facebook.com/BaganSenseHotel/

Was a long and beautiful ride through the center of Myanmar. Countless villages, views of the countryside, farmers working their fields, animals roaming freely and a really view of the traditional life which is still rooted in Myanmar. Horse and OX drawn carts with traditional wooden trailers hauling labors from the day to and from the market. Makeshift trucks with tractor engines slowly rolling down the country road with grains, livestock and people packed inside. Notable change in landscape and people after leaving Kyaikto.

Things i saw today: Children working all different jobs (field/farm work, petrol stations, cleaning shops, food service, roadside begging, herding farm animals) - Saw a greased Pole climbing contest with +50 on lookers, +5 football (soccer) matches, countless people requesting donations for the town temples & pagodas when entering and exiting the villages. A truck carrying numerous tones of broken glass losing it’s load and spilling glass across 2 lanes of highway… and then impatient drivers driving across over the glass 1 minute later..

Had a great 80km stretch with local motorcyclists from outside Meiktila to Kyaukpadaung area with the slowly setting sun and us ripping through the mountain roads and villages. TRXRally “woke” up soon as the temperature dropped a few degrees.

The #RigidIndustries / #Motostuff “Daylighter” paid for itself last night.. Being in the middle of Myanmar in the dark of night, instantly i appreciated the power of 7000 lumens and the ability to change pitch black night back to daylight. Thank you @scott at Motostuff! https://www.motostuff.com/rigid-daylighter-led-driving-light-kit-2017-2018-honda-crf-250l-rally.html

NYE party at our hotel was interesting to say the least. Loud music doesn’t always make for a great party. Happy 2020.

Special thanks to those helping me directly and indirectly.
    #DoubleTakeMirror #ProGrip #ProTaper #EBC #CoreMoto #coremotousa #Galfer #GalferBrakes #SeatConcepts #DRC #ZetaRacing #dirtbikeplus #FMF #Ohlins #ohlinsusa #CRF250Rally #TRXRally #titanium #TRON #Motorex #KNFilters #Kriega
    #ridekriega #RideMitas #MitasTires #MitasTyres #AraiHelmets #Alpinestars #FoxRacing #SKDA #Motoskill #SRCUSA #DIDChain #Talonhubs #talonengineering #MitasMoto #mitase07 #ElectronicJetKit #Advrider

939E0389-0446-4000-8BE5-5C5F18FCF904.JPG IMG_1408.jpg IMG_1411.jpg IMG_1412.jpg IMG_2472.JPG IMG_3226.JPG Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 11.05.01 PM.PNG Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 7.56.40 AM.PNG
  3. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 5 - Jan 1 2020

Happy New Year
    Tour day in Bagan
    Distance today 0
    Sleep > Bagan Sense Hotel > https://www.facebook.com/BaganSenseHotel/

Today was great. Relaxing day in Bagan with a tour of the local market - almost sensory overload if it wasn’t for plenty of market visits in Thailand and other countries. Although Jan 1 (New Years Day) - at the market it was just another regular day for the locals. I’m always amazed how so many (vendors) can selling seemingly the same product one next to the other and yet they all seem to have customers. Thankfully our guide keep us on schedule as I can get lost in the local markets for hours on end. Endless colors and aromas as you walk down the aisles. All wonderful until you get to the fish area...

After the market we visited two Pagodas with Buddha artifacts dating back to the 11th and 13th century. Our Guide referenced “treasure hunters” at least a dozen times. Informing us the reason most of the Buddha statues were behind bars and locks. Interesting and

Ironic to see Buddha locked up.

#ProGrip #ProTaper #EBC #CoreMoto #coremotousa #Galfer #GalferBrakes #Betfury_io #BetfurySuccess #BetfuryMiner #SeatConcepts #DRC #ZetaRacing #dirtbikeplus #FMF #Ohlins #ohlinsusa #CRF250Rally #TRXRally #titanium #TRON #Motorex #KNFilters #Kriega #ridekriega #RideMitas #MitasTires #MitasTyres #AraiHelmets #Alpinestars #FoxRacing #SKDA #Motoskill #SRCUSA #DIDChain #Talonhubs #talonengineering #MitasMoto #mitase07 #ElectronicJetKit #Advrider #DoubleTakeMirror

IMG_5555.jpg IMG_5513.JPG IMG_5516.jpg IMG_5518.jpg IMG_5519.jpg IMG_5521.jpg IMG_5525.jpg IMG_5527.jpg IMG_5529.jpg

Attached Files:

4. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 6 - Jan 2 2020
    Bagan to Kale
    Farms & Fields to Mountain villages
    Distance today ~404km / 8 hours
    Sleep > Hotel Majesty > https://web.facebook.com/Majesty-Hotel-Kalaymyo-262586421248637/

Today was one of those days on the bike that you don’t want to end.. Some call it Flow state others call it being one with your bike. The harmonious sound of the motor rev’ing at 6500, 7000, 7500 RPM and the echo of the exhaust off the mountain side. Sweeping through corners and rolling on and off the throttle as the road is an endless roller coaster… This was the Myanmar i was envisioning.. Typically when you think of a country, you have a preconception of what the roads, the terrain might be like.. I was hoping for today and what came to be.. Endless country roads with farms and fields as far as you could see. Traditional villages and Ox pulling carts to and from the fields. Men, women and children perched above their wagons being pulled by farm animals as they ride to/from town and the fields. Row after row after row of palm trees slightly bent over from the constant wind. Fields of BIG BRIGHT YELLOW Sunflowers stretching tall toward the sunshine. Kids of all ages playing in front of their traditional wooden homes.. And then came the mountain roads… rough and bumpy in most places but always a line to be found. Today was either a video game called #TRON or it was Flow state.

and LOVING the #MitasE07 #MitasTyres on the mountain roads.. Tarmac, to gravel, to rough roads to concrete to village red dirt..

Limited photos due to being consumed by the road..

#ProGrip #ProTaper #EBC #CoreMoto #coremotousa #Galfer #GalferBrakes #Betfury_io #BetfurySuccess #BetfuryMiner #SeatConcepts #DRC #ZetaRacing #dirtbikeplus #FMF #Ohlins #ohlinsusa #CRF250Rally #TRXRally #titanium #TRON #Motorex #KNFilters #Kriega #ridekriega #RideMitas #MitasTires #MitasTyres #AraiHelmets #Alpinestars #FoxRacing #SKDA #Motoskill #SRCUSA #DIDChain #Talonhubs #talonengineering #MitasMoto #mitase07 #ElectronicJetKit #Advrider #DoubleTakeMirror

IMG_5573.jpg Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 10.09.47 PM.png IMG_9005.JPG IMG_2457.JPG IMG_3594.JPG

Attached Files:

Lost Cartographer likes this.
  5. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 7 - Jan 3 2020
    Kale to Tamu / Moreh Border to Imphal
    Myanmar to India Border crossing
    Distance today ~240km / 8 hours
    Sleep > https://www.facebook.com/thesangaihotel

The group agreed to an early start today in order to cross the border as early as possible and get into India with time to get to Imphal or beyond. The day started out with Bridges, and more bridges, some didn’t go over water, some had roads parallel to them…. We wondered why ~120km from or hotel to the border was showing 3+ hours… well, with at least 49 bridges, yes 49 was the last count in approximately 120km it made for hurry up and slow down.. that along with the 2 “mountains” we had to cross, it took a little while.. Joy of being on a motorcycle, the mountain roads are actually a pleasure to ride.. Roads on the Myanmar side were decent, consistent to what we had experienced the previous days.. just a lot of bridges to cross.. There’s a different feeling and energy in the NW part of Myanmar…. There’s a happiness and contentment to the people you come across, most will smile and the children are quick to say hello or wave as you go by.. The road was single or 1.5 wide the majority of the way.. and a lot of bridges.. Which is enjoyable for me as there’s a special connection between bridges and someone i’ve know for 35 years, so it was a morning and ride thinking about a friend.

Border crossing on the Myanmar side was simple and quick.. Osuga Myanmar Travels & Tours (our guide) handled the Customs / Vehicle documents and then 200 meters down the road was the check point for Immigration, fill out the departure card and smile for the camera, and your done.. Immigration needed USD 1’s for a 10 for some reason i only had 7 ones and they accepted that.. so first time i was paid by Immigration at a border to depart..

Cross “Friendship Bridge” (#50) take the obligatory photos and then drive over the hill threw the gate to the Immigration and Customs building on the Indian side.. Immediately you feel the Indian Army presence as they have AK47 armed forces every 20-30 meters around the property.. Indian Immigration and Customs are in the same building… Immigration officer (completely informal) was friendly and nice.. The Customs guy couldn’t be bothered much other than asking for Passport and “Carnet” - handed me a document to complete, - no bike check, no bag check, didn’t move from his chair, just filled out the documents (correctly) and talked with his daughter on speaker phone at the same time..

The real adventure starts about 15KM outside of Moreh (border town) - you have to get through 8 different police and military check points, of which you have to stop at 3 of them, show documents again, and then you can proceed, and then there is massive road construction - joy of my CRF, zip around traffic and use the dirt roads as your own personal moto track.. but have to take it slow.. there’s something crazy about the dirt when it rains here, and it rained and rained and rained about 30km inside India all the way to Imphal.. .The roads become a crazy combo of (red) black ice, super slippery mud, small lakes to cross in the road and traffic coming at you, in all directions… Tuk-Tuks doing 3 wheel sides and earth movers crushing and moving sides of the mountain to build new roads..

Stop in a small town to change USD and the bank manager was super helpful, calling the Imphal branch for me to ensure they would take USD.. gave me directions and down the wet road i went.. 90 minutes later i was in “city” traffic looking for a bank.. soaked to the bone from head to toe, and pouring down rain, i walked into the bank in Imphal and was greeted with 6 friendly smiles. 30 minute later, Ruppes in hand and 3 new friends.. The Indian people are most helpful, i find.. A few laughs later about me “standing” for 30 minutes dripping wet in the bank while they processed the exchange, and a dozen questions from a dozen people if i was on the “red” moto downstairs, and if i was riding solo and where i came from and where i was going i had a 4 news friend.. “James” the new account rep at the bank invited me to dinner tonight.. Again, my experience, the Indian people are very friendly. Welcome to Day 1 in India.. India is ALWAYS an adventure..

#Betfury_io #SeatConcepts #DRC #ZetaRacing #dirtbikeplus #FMF #Ohlins #ohlinsusa #CRF250Rally #TRXRally #titanium #TRON #Motorex #KNFilters #Kriega #ridekriega #RideMitas #MitasTires #MitasTyres #AraiHelmets #Alpinestars #FoxRacing #SKDA #Motoskill #SRCUSA #DIDChain #Talonhubs #talonengineering #MitasMoto #mitase07 #ElectronicJetKit #Advrider #DoubleTakeMirror #ProGrip #ProTaper #EBC #CoreMoto #coremotousa #Galfer #GalferBrakes

IMG_1628.JPG IMG_5591.jpg IMG_5594.jpg IMG_8053.JPG IMG_8517.JPG Kale to Imphal 2020-01-03 at 5.47.05 PM.png 179a7b59-99c7-41be-83ad-4b612dbecbed.jpg 7108064a-b0cd-4e9d-9cc8-c73f888ddab5.jpg
  6. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 8 - Jan 4 2020 Part 1
    Impha to Mountain Village near Nomey
    Distance today 181km / 7 hours
    Sleep > My Tent in Local Village on NH37 on Porch

Still trying to dry out from the rain soaked ride from Moreh - I took my time in Imphal at the hotel and wasn’t sure when i woke up if i was staying another day or moving on.. After a small panic of not having “winter” gloves with me, only to remember 15 minutes later they were in my bag on the bike, i decided to pack up my semi dry gear and get on the road.. Getting out of Imphal as an adventure like most Indian cities... once on highway 37 towards Silchar, Imphal to Silchar was the plan, but with India you never really know what lays beyond the next corner, literally.. The mountain roads of Manipur state are incredible and a dream for a motorcyclist. (When they are good) decent tarmac, lush greens mountains, roads are lined with a nice canopy of trees, nice corners, switchbacks, wonder flow state riding, ripping through small villages and seeing kids playing on / near the roads, countless mountain dogs and puppies, and surprising number of Hens with baby chicks running around… I saw a number of kids (girls mainly) who were no older than 8-10 working in villages. Care taking for smaller children, washing clothes, cooking, carrying wood/water and other crops to/from home.. Life in the village isn’t easy for kids..

Then comes the other side of the mountain roads… with the MUD, the slippery, soupy, slimy mud.. 4-6 inches deep in some areas, spread across the road in areas.. it’s a combination of mountain dirt falling down the hillside, water running from the local streams, oil and or brake like oil from the big transport trucks driving the mountain roads, and then a special blend of wildlife animal droppings all mixed up to create a special blend of slippery crap to ride on…

Google maps are good for an estimate of distance and time.. but with road conditions as mentioned, with TRUCKS and traffic, you con only get so far in a day.. The sunset had come and gone, which was vast and beautiful and i was starting to get a little tired, not knowing how long “Jiribam” was actually going to take, (i was about 50km from the village) and then trying to find a place to sleep in the dark, i decided to stop at the next hotel / guest house possible.. The first only i stopped at was a “India” village mountain top DIY “hotel” and although fine for the mountain truck drivers, after a few minutes of trying to ask for a room it was clear the place wasn’t for me.. so down the mountain road i went.. it is now late dusk borderline getting dark and as i am riding though the next village i see two “foreigners” in bicycle riding gear at a small snack shop.. i stopped and asked them if they had a hotel and they said they were “camping in the front yard of a ladies house just up the road”….. few minutes later, i was introduced to a nice lady to happily welcomed me to her home.. she offer tent space on the porch, as if it was meant to be.. She and her friend, and children watched in curiosity as i set up a tent in the dark and organized my things off my bike.. we shared a little broken english communication as she used her loom and worked on a dress she was making.. After 45 minutes of chatting with James and Sam. learning about their cycling tour (around the world) over the last 3-5 years, two guys who met only a few days previous but on a similar path and both from the UK.. amazing stories and they both agreed, which is becoming common to hear, Pakistan is a beautiful place with amazing people and a must visit.

Mountain roads in NorthEast India (Manipur) region are GREAT when good and when the road is bad, it’s really bad..

All in All it was an amazing day riding on the bike..

#ProGrip #ProTaper #EBC #coremotousa #GalferBrakes #Betfury_io #SeatConcepts #ZetaRacing #dirtbikeplus #FMF #Ohlins #ohlinsusa #CRF250Rally #TRXRally #TRON #Motorex #ridekriega #RideMitas #MitasTires #MitasTyres #AraiHelmets #Alpinestars #FoxRacing #Motoskill #SRCUSA #DIDChain #Talonhubs #talonengineering #MitasMoto #mitase07 #Advrider #India #Travel

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 10.49.44 AM.png IMG_5088.JPG IMG_5635.JPG IMG_5631.JPG IMG_5627.JPG IMG_5645.JPG IMG_5643.JPG IMG_5641.JPG IMG_5646.JPG IMG_4808.JPG
  7. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 9 - Jan 5 2020
    Mountain Village near Nomey to Shillong
    Distance today ~262km / 8 hours
    Sleep > https://www.facebook.com/mcrownhotelshillong/

Woke up to a dense mist in the mountain air and the typical sounds of mountain (farm) animals coming to life with the sunrise.. Was a decent night of sleep considering it was in a tent and on a porch.. 90 minutes later i’m down the road. similar to yesterday, amazing mountain top riding with decent tarmac until the mud starts! As i was approaching a bridge i could see more and more trucks parked and they all appeared to be covered in mud.. cross over bridge and starts nearly 1.5km of the mud ride from hell. It was slippery, and thick, and then soupy and deep and the stench of was horrible.. to make things worse, the mountain transport trucks were lined up two wide on a single lane road.. they took up majority of all the space on the road so it was a matter of weaving left and right against slow moving but oncoming traffic, with everyone slipping an sliding.. my words don’t do the road any justice, but it as the worst mud i’ve ever ridden in.. finally about 30 minute and 1.5 km later, i get past it.. i stop at a local village and see a free running water hose, i throw water on my bike and myself and ’m sure it was a funny scene for the locals.. i get the feeling i look like a spaceman to most villagers as i am dressed in a white helmet with dark riding gear on a bike nothing like they have seen before..

I stopped for juice and some bananas in a small town and within literally 30 seconds i was surrounded by at least 30-40 curious and interested locals.. soon as i got off the bike and got my helmet off, questions started and it was honestly a little overwhelming.. I was recently told a story by a (female) motorcyclist of her experience(s) of the same in India.. and until it happens you don’t know how intense it can be.. Everyone is / was friendly, it’s a variety of people begging for food and money, to young guys asking “are you YouTuber Bro” to actual motorcyclists asking the type and size of bike to 50 other questions about who i am, where i come from and where i’m going.. All friendly, just intense.

Just 1 km down the road i find a quiet place outside the town, and again within 5 minutes i’m engulfed by a dozen people again.. this time they were all young guys on motorcycles who “heard” me going through town and followed me to say hello and get Selfies.. Oh ya. the “Selfie” crazy here is alive and well! They were all super friendly and gave me good information about distance and time and road conditions to Shillong, the next big city for sleep.. and i’m learning they measure the size of a city based on if it has a “KFC” or not.. Shillong has a KFC so it was suggested i stop a sleep here.. Of which i’m taking to days rest to fully dry my clothes and gear, and decompress….

#ProGrip #ProTaper #EBC #coremotousa #GalferBrakes #Betfury_io #SeatConcepts #ZetaRacing #dirtbikeplus #FMF #Ohlins #ohlinsusa #CRF250Rally #TRXRally #TRON #Motorex #ridekriega #RideMitas #MitasTires #MitasTyres #AraiHelmets #Alpinestars #FoxRacing #Motoskill #SRCUSA #DIDChain #Talonhubs #talonengineering #MitasMoto #mitase07 #Advrider #India #Travel

691B5579-DA10-4F21-AE85-620F9040AE03.JPG C685F03C-487D-4827-B6A6-20EFC03DD3E7.JPG IMG_4287.JPG Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 12.01.00 PM.png IMG_5688.jpg IMG_5683.jpg IMG_5687.JPG
  8. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 10 - Jan 6 2020
    Shillong Rest Day

Distance today ~4km / walking
    Sleep > https://www.facebook.com/mcrownhotelshillong/

Spent the day catching up on rest, planning the next few stops and some logistics for later in the month.. Had nice conversation at breakfast with a group of friends/family who are in India the last 3 months - ironically they are from Socal, Newport / Costa Mesa area.. Go around the world to only bump into people from California. Nice group of people.

Walked part of Shillong today, mainly in search of Peanut Butter and nice bread / fresh baked buns for the ride tomorrow.. In India one is better safe then sorry so peanut butter, honey, bread, bananas and juice are the staples for lunch and when on the road.. When in town, with a little time, finding a restaurant is easier than guessing which roadside food vendor is a safe bet..

Every city has its “unique” attributes and Shillong was no different. The side streets and the markets are a reflection of life in the city. All cities, states and countries are effectively the same. People are working to survive based on the environment and conditions they have to deal with.. One (sad) thing i am seeing here, with mainly the Men and some older/elder women is the addiction to a plant leaf and its related nut.. when chewed it creates a red saliva and turns the mouth, teeth and gums of the person a harsh red color.. I talked to one shop vendor today, where i bought peanut butter, and he explained there is an addictive property to the plant/nut and he motioned it causes some to do “crazy” things.. its sad and honestly disgusting as it triggers a lot of “spitting” on the ground and like avoid dog shit in Amsterdam, you walk around town trying to avoid the “red spit”….

Minor fix on the TRXRally Windshield today.. The windshield mounts are a poor design, Honda needs to review and address it.. Vibration is not friendly to a motorcycle.. India is a proper testing ground for the durability of a bike.. this is already proven to be true in 3 days. Fortunately the TRXRally is rock solid and i made a number of upgrade in anticipation of these and the coming conditions.

On the road tomorrow morning headed to Chapaguri, Bongaigaon, Assam.

IMG_0151.JPG IMG_1129.JPG IMG_1214.JPG IMG_5274.JPG IMG_5706.jpg IMG_5716.jpg IMG_7281.JPG IMG_7462.JPG IMG_7933.JPG
    Lost Cartographer and zundappuk like this.
  9. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 11 - Jan 7 2020
    Shillong to Bongaigaon
    Distance today ~255km / 6 hr
    Sleep > https://www.facebook.com/cygnettparkmeghna

Best Village name so far = Datta Kuchi.

Today’s summary. Colorful baby goats on the wrong side of the road taking selfies..

Today was all about colors… Bright, vivid colors. The early morning sky in Shillong was big bright and blue with white fluffy marshmallow type clouds laying on the crest of the mountain ridge line. A great change in color contrast from the last few days of grey. The ride today transitioned from Mountain city to city to farmland / fields and villages.

Baby goats everywhere.. Saw at least 60-70 of them today while riding.. I think i want one as a travel partner.

India keeps you on your toes. Drivers apparently think it’s ok to turn any road into a 2 way road, even on your side of the road.

Strangest thing i saw today.. 4 people stopped on a 4 lane highway.. (high speed toll road 2 lanes each side) and one person was laying down on his side, “posing” for a picture on the white line between the two lanes..

The selfie craze is in full force here.. Some random guy at the petrol station today insisted 4 different times i take my helmet off just to take a selfie with him.. We asked politely the first time to take selfie together, then was demanding i remove my helmet for the photo.. Seriously Bro..

Sanjeet Kumar. Person of the day. I stopped at the hotel i wanted to stay at.. Ask for a room. Told one was available for 8000Rs. Thanks but no thanks, so i left, and washed the bike, go down the road, stop for juice, a crowd of young guys surround me asking for selfies. They ask where i stay tonight, I explained 98% of hotels are full, not sure why.. Sanjeet says, “I’ll get you at room at the Cygnet (where i wanted to stay). I explained i checked and they are fully booked. He said don’t worry Bro. 20 minutes he went with me to the hotel, he had worked some magic and I’m in the room at the hotel for 1/2 the price.

There’s a kindness and desire to help with the people in India.

#Betfury_io #Advrider #India #Travel #TRXRally #TRON #SeatConcepts #ZetaRacing #dirtbikeplus #FMF #Ohlins #ohlinsusa #CRF250Rally#Motorex #ridekriega #MitasTires #MitasTyres #AraiHelmets #Alpinestars #FoxRacing #Motoskill #SRCUSA #DIDChain #Talonhubs #ProGrip #ProTaper #EBC #coremotousa #GalferBrakes

IMG_1791.JPG IMG_2585.JPG IMG_5569.JPG
  10. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 12 - Jan 8 2020
    Bongaigaon to Silguri
    Distance today ~300 km / 6 hr
    Sleep > https://www.facebook.com/lofthotelsiliguri

Today’s summary. Nationwide Labor strike triggers Peaceful India has elephants, monkey and pink cotton candy in the national parks and monkeys perform high wire walks on Bridges and it’s apparently interesting to watch Jon eat peanut butter..

The ride today was so peaceful and typically that is NEVER a word or statement used while riding through India.. But today it was peaceful, calm and the energy was a 1 or 2 when it’s normally 15 on a 10 scale, Thank you to the entire labor force of the Nation which was on strike.. the first hour of my ride there was 1 truck on the road and less than 50 trucks the entire day.. this is compared to a normal day where there would be literally 2000 trucks in one hour…

Riding on Highway 317, you transition from City to fields and village after village and then you are suddenly on the look out for Elephants and monkeys.. What seemed to be an endless tea garden which lies between the Jaldapara National Park to the South and the Chapramari Wildlife Forest to the North.

i stopped for what i hoped to be a quick bite and drink of water on a relatively empty street, and moments later another crowd was at my side asking for selfies and watching me eat peanut butter, a few slices of bread and drinking water.. Literally for 5-10 minutes the crowd watched me eat and drink. It was a little weird..

Maintenance day on the bike.. in the hotel receiving and kitchen prep area.

#ProTaper #coremotousa #GalferBrakes #Betfury_io #Advrider #India #Travel #SeatConcepts #ZetaRacing #dirtbikeplus #FMF #Ohlins #ohlinsusa #CRF250Rally #TRXRally #TRON #Motorex #ridekriega #RideMitas #MitasTires #MitasTyres #AraiHelmets #Alpinestars #FoxRacing #Motoskill #SRCUSA #DIDChain #Talonhubs

Bridge River ViewIMG_6784.JPG Coronation Bridge IMG_1794.JPG Jon Lunch crowd IMG_0157.JPG Monkey business on bridge IMG_5057.JPG Elephants Jan 8 Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 9.20.06 PM.png Route Jan 8 Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 9.01.44 PM.png
  11. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 13 - Jan 9 2020
    Silguri India to Nepal Border to Itahari, Nepal
    Distance today ~125 km / 4 hr
    Sleep > The Loft Hotel https://goo.gl/maps/p826eeRmYXQusMbN9

A rather quick 45 minutes and your at the border of Nepal and India. Massive traffic with endless row of trucks in line to cross the border from India. I passed 30 some trucks, turned right and as i started to drive over the bridge i was stopped but “security” - he asked where i was going and wanted to see my passport. He wasn’t in any official police or military clothing so i asked why, he asked where i was going, and pointed to behind him, “that’s Nepal side, you need exit stamp”…. my bad, there was so much traffic and no signs that stuck to out to me but if i had gone further, i would have been out of India, w/o officially departing.. He pointed the opposite way from the Nepal and said, go back, get exit stamp. Found Immigration 700 meters behind me.. got exit stamp in 10 minutes, same immigration officer does entry and exit. went back towards Nepal, found customs building, provided Carnet, they provide me with “milk tea”… had nice chat with Customs officer. In and out in 15 minutes do to talking with Carnet exit stamp.

Drove over the bridge, to Nepal side for Immigration and customs. Immigration 50USD for 30 days. Customs is in the next building, walked into Room no. 1 and saw a guy charging his phone, he acknowledged me in the crowd of 10 people as i walked in the room.. Requested approval for my motorcycle to Enter Nepal.. He said “no problem, follow me”… go to Room No 2 and he asked for my Carnet, literally 3 minutes later he handed it back to me complete and approved. Wished me a safe journey and that was that..

I am cautious not to have set expectations of Nepal and will do my best to let all the experience of the country happen naturally.

#ProTaper #coremotousa #GalferBrakes #Betfury_io #Advrider #India #Travel #Advrider #SeatConcepts #ZetaRacing #dirtbikeplus #FMF #Ohlins #ohlinsusa #CRF250Rally #TRXRally #TRON
    #Motorex #ridekriega #RideMitas #MitasTires #MitasTyres #AraiHelmets #Alpinestars #FoxRacing #Motoskill #SRCUSA #DIDChain #Talonhubs

IMG_1947.JPG IMG_5100.JPG IMG_5175.JPG IMG_5774 2.jpg IMG_5774 3.jpg IMG_5785.jpg IMG_5786.jpg IMG_6080.JPG Silguri to Itahari Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 10.12.55 PM.png
  12. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 14 - Jan 10 2020
    Itahari to Kathmandu
    Distance today ~375 km / 9 hr
    Sleep > Sunrise Apartment / AirBnb

Woke up to a central valley or mornings on the coast in Santa Cruz / Big Sur like fog. It was heavy but just thin enough to have decent visibility and the high beams didn’t bounce back at me. It was a early start today, and it was going to be a long day on the bike.. and it was.. Shortly after getting out of Itahari and into the rural parts of Nepal i noticed a lot of big blue tractors on the road and what was more strange was each of them had an open field style trailer packed with people of all ages. At first i thought was a make-shift School bus for kid, but i quickly saw more and more tractors (and trailers) stopped on the roadside as people would quickly move from the large tree clusters to the trailer.. Every kilometer or so there would be a dense bunch of tall trees in the field, not far from the road side.. and in a few i could see small communities and ore specifically small clusters of tents. Tents being the old school style that are basically A frames with blankets and deteriorating blue and orange tarps draped over the sides to protect from the cold morning and the elements. I counted my blessings more than once this morning as i watched people emerge from these small field villages, load tightly into the trailers headed for.. destination unknown.

As the fields and farms transitioned to foothills and then mountains, this was the Nepal i was hoping for and dreaming about. After a short stop at the 1/2 point, the elevation started to change and the climb into the mountain roads started.. Soon i found myself carving the mountain roads and dropping into the Valleys with massive canyon walls of rock and earth and then on the switchbacks zigzagging to the top of the a new mountain.. The colors of Nepal started to show itself as the roadside vendors with pile of bright orange oranges became more frequent. Lush green mountain sides with blue, red, orange and yellow (buildings) dotted on the mountains..

Soon i found myself in a mountain top village / roadside stop with countless Orange vendors.. after surveying the different stands i found a vendor with a juice press. Mountain top fresh pressed orange juice.. It was nice treat.

Two hours later i find myself at a complete standstill, thinking of mountain roads and fresh orange juice as i’m stuck in Friday night Kathmandu traffic. What a complete mess. And it can easily be compared to the traffic in LA or the Bay Area.. Welcome to Kathmandu.

#Betfury_io #Advrider #Nepal #Kathmandu #Travel #SeatConcepts #ZetaRacing #dirtbikeplus #FMF #Ohlins #ohlinsusa #CRF250Rally #TRXRally #TRON
    #Motorex #ridekriega #RideMitas #MitasTires #MitasTyres #FoxRacing #Motoskill #SRCUSA #DIDChain

Itahari to KTM Sunrise 2020-01-10 at 10.33.51 PM.png IMG_1526.PNG Rooftop Goat IMG_4287.JPG IMG_5852.JPG IMG_5824.jpg IMG_5822.jpg IMG_5820.jpg IMG_5816.jpg IMG_4220.JPG IMG_1956.JPG
  13. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 15 - Jan 11 2020
    Kathmandu
    Distance today ~10km

Today was a rest and catch up day. The last 15 days have been really full on and full gas… and with a few big distance days, i forced my self to have some extra sleep.. Which was much needed.

Technology is such a blessing when we are are away from loved ones. It allows for global communication as if we are just down the street, not on the other side of the planet from one another. Communication via technology is obviously NOT the same as being in the same city, or in the same room with a person but it can still enable deep heartfelt conversations.. With the (travel / on the go) lives we (choose) to live today, with the opportunities we have, having the ability to be a lifeline / a rope, a bridge, a message, a voice chat away can strengthen relationships, not deteriorate them.. Taking the tie to be present for those who you care about, regardless of physical location is the difference of “showing up” vs those who are physically closer and not present or lacking empathy for loved ones. Communication via technology enables us to have meaningful conversations, offer support and encourage each other, keep promises, and ensure loved ones start the day with a smile, even if they went to bed angry at the world.

The bike over the last few days developed what i was calling “heavy” steering. Straight line at speed over 40kmph was fine cause typically you are learning and not trying to “turn” whereas slower speeds you need to actually turn the bike.. and there was a “notching” feeling when going left and right to center. The steering stem locking nut loosened itself just slightly, quick stop at the mechanic and 10 minutes later. No more problem. Bike is running well, really prefers the cold air vs the warm / hot air of Myanmar and Thailand.

#AraiHelmets #Alpinestars #FoxRacing #SKDA #ridekriega #Motoskill #SRCUSA #Motostuff
    #DIDChain #talonengineering #RideMitas #MitasTires #MitasTyres #RigidIndustries #ProTaper #EBC
    #coremotousa #Galfer #ElectronicJetKit #Motorex #KNFilters #SeatConcepts #ZetaRacing #Ohlins #CRF250Rally #TRXRally $BFG $TRX #TRON #Betfury_io #advriderofficial

Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 10.22.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 10.22.18 AM.png
  14. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 16 - Jan 12 2020
    Kathmandu (Durbar Area THEFT Alert)
    Distance today ~20km

I am one of the most optimistic people you will ever met & wish to believe in only the good of people but today really is testing my limits. The day was to include laundry, SIM card, visit temples, a garden, & a French restaurant for Crepes.

Instead today went from good to #FUCKED in about 30 minutes. Started at the #Suryabinayak Temple & the Statue of #Peace. Lots of #Monkeys watching for food handouts, grooming, & being monkeys. Then i went direction Durbar Square. CCTV shows me arriving in the area at 13:15. The next next 30-45 minutes my bag disappeared and the bag was full, strapped tight so it wasn’t going to “slip or fall” off. The Durbar area is a labyrinth with incredible congestion of people, small cars, motorbikes, scooters, bicycles, people pushing trikes / wagon, kids, animals, tourists and locals all trying to squeeze by each other & apparently home of #thieves.

Instead of temple visits & lunch, I found myself spending 3 1/2 hours w/ the Tourist police, writing a report, explaining what & where i believe the bag was stolen & watching myself on (privately operated) CCTV as I drove down the street in the Durbar Area. It will be impossible to figure out exactly when & where it was taken, so it is what it is.. Welcome to Kathmandu people.

Now i’m missing 3 pair of MX riding socks, 5 pair underwear, 2 shirts, 1 pant, 1 neck scarf, 1 Fox Waterproof jacket, 1 Oakley Sunglasses, & a favorite set of Bamboo utensil w/ chopsticks & straw, (which use daily) some other valuables & i’m sure there is something i can’t recall ATM. Yes all things are replaceable & the positive is that my Passport was in my jacket pocket i was wearing. Life goes on but when i see the person wearing my Kuhl pants, my Fox jacket & my Oakleys, karma is coming back to them… Tomorrow is a new day.. Don’t fail me twice KTM I still believe in you.

Special thanks to Sgt. Binoud (and his 2 officers, #Durbar area #Tourist #Police for doing his job, getting us CCTV views, & attempting to locate the area of the incident.
    #Nepal #Kathmandu #Durbar #Tourist #Thamel #Theft #BlackBag #Fox #Kulh #Oakley #Sunglasses #Laundry #DirtySocks #Karma

IMG_5895.jpg IMG_1799.JPG Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 7.21.19 PM.png IMG_5869.jpg Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 7.25.25 PM.png IMG_5870.jpg Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 7.23.43 PM.png IMG_9359.JPG Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 7.26.54 PM.png
  15. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 17 & 18 - Jan 13/14 2020

Kathmandu (Replace stolen goods day & Shopping)
    Distance today ~20km

Shopping, well, mainly window shopping but the shops in Thamel area don’t really have windows for you to see inside the shops.. most all the shops are long narrow rectangles with roll up metal doors, but during the day the shops have an excessive amount of “things” hanging from all corners.. shop owners are trying to show/promote the items they have in the store, all in the front.. Kathmandu is known for being dusty (and rather dirty) so all of these things being hung at the front of the shop all have a decent layer of KTM dust on them. Then what’s more confusing and prevalent are the number of shops all with literally the same things for sale. The Thamel district specifically is the primary tourist eating/sleeping location for travelers and those who are starting / ending their trek in the valleys outside of Kathmandu.. So there are literally 30 shops on a street selling the same (non-authentic, brand name) jackets, pants, bags, backpacks, etc.. Anything you can think of for your hike / trek can be found in the Thamel area.. Excluding Bamboo Utensil sets.. I went into over 40 shops today and not a single shop had a bamboo set. You can find metal and plastic Sporks and SwissArmy knives and even a Traditional Nepalese Gurkha knife, but no one sadly had a Bamboo utensil set.. (business opportunity waiting)…

Random things that happened and i saw today.. At least a dozen “street” guys offering me “smoke”… thanks but no thanks.. Only the Dank for me when i know its origin. The dogs in front of the butcher shops.. Seems each neighborhood has 6-8 different butcher shops and when i arrived a few days ago, i noticed 2-4 dogs sitting attentively, quietly, a few feet outside of the shop looking in.. at the time i didn’t recognize the commonality with all these dogs and shops… i only noticed every few blocks dogs on the street, sitting up right and waiting quietly (almost as if their owner was inside shopping) but these dogs apparently just wait for the occasional scraps to be toss out to them.. it’s an interesting sight.. traffic and the somewhat not really organized chaos at every intersection and the round-a-bouts… The major intersections have an elevated circular platform which one ore more traffic cops stands on and wave at the traffic with his white glove.. the waving motion is a downward motion as if they are digging a hole.. occasionally a green or red (lollipop) looking sign will pop up to tell traffic to go or stop.. then there’s the unmanned intersections.. this is a free for all.. and the closer to evening / rush hour, the more chaotic it is.. pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcyclists, small cars, big cars, buses and trucks all trying to move in their respective directions and size doesn’t always matter here.. but those with the bigger balls (the risk takers) who sticker their bike, car or nose out to stop the traffic from the right and left seem to win.. I ride mid pack, and find shelter from the peloton and use the buses crossing traffic as my shields when i need to turn.. it’s really no different than most cities in India, here at least no cows on the road to deal with.. The other thing that amazes me with 99% of the shops is the inventory they maintain. it’s really amazing the volume of products in each shop.. offering customers a selection and options is one thing but the sheer number of items (to me) is just astounding..

New Everest MoMo Center is a local favorite and i learned today why.. A plate of Momo’s for 100 Rs. ($0.87) which are tasty and filling. I have no idea how many Momo’s they serve a day but it has to be in the 10’s of thousands..

Special thanks to the Service Manager (https://www.facebook.com/rudra.khanal.7) and team at Taku Honda Big Bike for the quick steering / headset tightening. Kindness of the Nepalese people and the motorcyclist in this country make it a joy to ride here https://goo.gl/maps/1RHay6gN8LQ2tYMZ7

Need to start planning the next 2-3 weeks in Pokhara and Mustang Valley. All indications are it’s possible to get to Mustang and ride in the region.. Let’s see.

#AraiHelmets #Alpinestars #FoxRacing #SKDA #ridekriega #Motoskill #SRCUSA #Motostuff #DIDChain #talonengineering #RideMitas #MitasTires #MitasTyres
    #RigidIndustries #ProTaper #EBC #coremotousa #Galfer #ElectronicJetKit #Motorex #KNFilters #SeatConcepts #ZetaRacing #Ohlins #CRF250Rally #TRXRally $BFG $TRX #TRON #Betfury_io #advriderofficial

thamel5.jpeg thamel4.jpg thamel3.png thamel2.jpg IMG_1185.JPG IMG_9896.JPG IMG_3663.JPG IMG_5955.jpg IMG_5953.jpg IMG_5950.jpg
  16. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 19/20/21 - Jan 15/16/17
    Kathmandu
    Distance today ~0km

Mountain weather and rain came in so it was nothing but movies, emails and catching up with route planning.. Researching options in Pokhara, Mustang Valley and then logistics to get to Lumbini, Taj Mahal and up to Chandigarh to see some friends i met / made this past July while in North India riding.. Was also a good opportunity to catch up with family and sleep.. The rain, grey cloudy days will do that to me. Make me want to sleep.

#AraiHelmets #Alpinestars #FoxRacing #SKDA #Kriega #ridekriega #Motoskill #SRCUSA #Motostuff #DIDChain #Talonhubs #talonengineering #MitasMoto #RideMitas #MitasTires #MitasTyres #mitase07 #RigidIndustries #DoubleTakeMirror #ProGrip #ProTaper #EBC #CoreMoto #coremotousa #Galfer #GalferBrakes #ElectronicJetKit #DobeckPerformance #Motorex #KNFilters #SeatConcepts #DRC #ZetaRacing #dirtbikeplus #FMF #Ohlins #ohlinsusa #CRF250Rally #TRXRally #TRON #Betfury_io

Use TRXRally Route KTM to Amritsar via Lumbini Taj Chandigargh.png use IMG_8694.JPG use IMG_5971.jpg use IMG_5970.jpg use IMG_2044.JPG Use Betfury Supports TRX Rally CRF Image.png use 5.jpg use 1.jpg
  17. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 22 - Jan 18

Kathmandu to Pokhara
    Distance today ~202km
    Sleep > Pokhara Star Inn (https://www.booking.com/hotel/np/pokhara-star-inn-pvt-ltd.html)

Foggy Doggy Matatus on the mountain roads playing Ping Pong.

Cabin fever was kicking in. Thankfully the weather gods turned in my favor.. I was starring at Windy.tv non-stop all day Friday hoping the forecasted rain would disappear, and luckily it did. Wasn’t sure if departure from KTM would be Saturday or Sunday, Not riding in the rain was the only thing i knew for sure.. When i woke up this morning, the forecasted rain clouds were not longer on the screen.. Fog is heavy in Kathmandu Valley for reasons i don’t understand, but after about 30km West, the fog lifted and the sun started to peek out from the clouds.. The tarmac for mainly dry but where it was dirt, it was mud.. Nothing bad, just around corners, when it’s slippery, motocross instincts kick in..

i’m consistently amazed by the number of dogs cruising the road side, in the mountains, and around the towns.. 98% of them ore calm and quiet but there a few, that don’t care for the sound of my exhaust, They hear the bike coming and i can see they want to chase the bike, it’s interesting but it must be something about the pitch that gets them.. most of them just ignore the bike, some of them actually lay in the road and don’t give a damn, they expect you to go around them.. they were there first..

Then comes the crazy matatu drivers… Matutu is the Swahili name for a mini bus and doesn’t matter if it’s Kenya, Tanzania, Thailand, India or Nepal, these drivers are all crazy.. They are typically Tour bus or tour guides driving the smaller Toyota mini vans, the big buses are fine, they can only go so fast.. but the matatu drives, more than once have these idiots come flying up behind me and then over take traffic when it’s not possible.. not only endangering their own life but all the poor souls who are trapped in the bus as well. And it’s always on mountain roads where they are the worst. Passing on the (right side) around a blind corner up a hill.. Unbelievable..

Once the fog ended, and the mini vans were passed, the road to Pokhara was nothing less than amazing, the views along the way have me wanting to stop every 5-10 minutes to capture what i see, but it’s unrealistic. So i savor the images, the landscape, the rivers, the waterfalls, the fields, the flowers, the mountain villages and the people i see along the road all to myself. I expect the locals are aware of the natural beauty they have around them but the surroundings have become more function than beauty.. Really no different than the Golden Gate Bridge where people come from all around the World to see it, walk, ride a bike or drive across it, (sail under it if so lucky) those who live in or near San Francisco see the Golden Gate Bridge only as a structure which allows them to get in an out of SF (typically) while in traffic. The last days have reminded me a lot of the SF bay area.. the fog, the drizzle, the bridges, the gray skies. and the short drive to the mountains. Where the energy changes. Nepal (Kathmandu) is nothing like the Bay Area, the level of dare i say poverty here, the simplicity and basic living conditions, the lacking road and infrastructure, the people living (literally) outside, in tents, and shacks.. Well, maybe there are a lot of similarities. I think the biggest difference is the people here in Nepal are living out of necessity, whereas in the Bay Area and States, opportunities are plentiful. Traveling and seeing the World (how other people live data to day and survive) makes you appreciate and count your blessings if you travel with your eyes and heart open.

Something else that was random today.. Almost every mountain village had kids and friends playing outdoor ping pong.. Not exactly the ping pong table you probably just envisioned, but some type of smooth stone slab, mainly with bricks stacked 2 high across for the net.. People will make do with what they have available. that’s for sure.

Pokhara welcomed me with a beautiful sunset as i arrived tonight. The freshwater (Phewa Lake) is the second largest lake in Nepal and sets as a backdrop to Pokhara. Whats interesting, the average depth is only 8.6m or 28ft.. The Annapurna range and it’s snowcapped mountain tops can been seen from the shore, it’s a sight to see.

CRF is running great, prefers the colder mountain air. Clutch lever pull seemed stiffer today.. Softened the compression 6 clicks left and rebound back to stock setting on rear shock. Way more comfy.

#TRON #Betfury_io #advriderofficial #CRF250Rally #TRXRally #AraiHelmets #Alpinestars #FoxRacing #SKDA #ridekriega #Motoskill #SRCUSA #Motostuff #DIDChain #talonengineering #RideMitas #MitasTyres #RigidIndustries #ProTaper #EBC #coremotousa #Galfer #Motorex #KNFilters #SeatConcepts #ZetaRacing #Ohlins

IMG_0525.JPG IMG_1856.JPG IMG_2682.JPG IMG_3264 2.JPG IMG_5384.JPG IMG_6079.jpg IMG_6380 2.JPG IMG_6767.JPG IMG_7072.JPG IMG_9620.JPG