Jan 1, 2020 - Chiang Mai to Amsterdam (stage1 of my 5 year plan)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by TRX Rally, Dec 5, 2019.

1. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 27 - Jan 23, 2020
    Pokhara - Snaps, Digital Snaps & Air
    Distance today ~15km
    Sleep > Pokhara Star Inn

Today was to be simple day of simple errands. Need a recent photo with a white background for my Iran visa application. Need to get my riding pants fixed. A “SNAP” on the right leg gator detached. And check the air pressure on the TRXRally tires.. which is an every other day occurrence.

So it goes, the first tailor/seamstress I went to wasn’t able to help. “No snap”. He directed me to the pant & jacket maker who said “No Snap” who directed me two doors down to another tailor who said “No snap” so I looked across the street & see another tailor who said “No snap” - & this lady directs me around the corner to a different tailor who said “No snap” who directs me two blocks back the way I came to his “brothers shop” who said “No snap” - Little do they know my determination & the significance the word “SNAP” has in my life.. I will not take no snap for answer..

As I’m walking back in the direction of my hotel I see a photo frame shop, I ask if they can make “passport photos” (universal words) the shop owner says “yes” & I explain “digital only, no paper please” - picture taken & photo cropped on computers, & then I’m asked “how many photos Sir” - I kindly replied “no photo paper digital email please” - first image received was a micro file size. I ask for original from camera & 3 exports attempts & 5 minutes later photo received on email. People here are helpful but don’t always listen. Global topic.

I don’t have nor believe in OCD but there are a few bike related items which require daily attention. Tire pressure is one of them. First shop I visit I ask if they have a “gauge or meter for tire air” to check the pressure. “No meter” - I’ve learned not to trust the pressure gauge on the shop air compressor as 99% of the guys/shops use it or the “push test” which is never accurate so down the road I go to the next shop. Ask for “gauge” & they reply “no gauge” so i go down the road and pull into the next shop - ask for gauge & he insist the gauge in the compressor is ok so he inflates (for what seems like 3 minutes) the tire then proceeds to put spit/saliva on the air valve. No buddy it doesn’t leak. Thanks for your DNA on my bike now. So down the road I go to the next shop because I could feel the tire was now lower than before the stop, the next shop i go, & “no meter” - I go across the road to the next shop & “no meter” so now I decide to go to the Honda dealer across town. Official Honda shop has to have a pressure gauge right?? Get to Honda shop pull in the back to the Service Department & ask for an air gauge. “No gauge Sir” - I asked in front of 4 customers “how do you measure the tire pressure on the bikes” he says “wait here 5 minutes” - 30 seconds later after talking to the mechanic he has a gauge in his hand. He walks to my bike & as I walk from the parts area he hides the gauge behind his back. I ask to use the gauge as I motion to the item in his hands behind his back & he says “5 minutes wait here I talk to the mechanic” - 30 seconds later he comes back “gauge broken”. He proceeds to ask me to follow him out side & to go to the (car) tire shop across the road. I ask them & “no gauge” - I see a professional looking shop back across the street, go inside & show a picture to the man behind the desk. He politely says “sorry I don’t have but wait one minute” - he calls a tool shop down the road & gave me instructions how to get there.. 10 minutes & 390 Rupees ($3.25) later I have a new air pressure gauge.

I rode down the road to the next shop - I ask the man for air & he gets his air gauge out to check the pressure before inflating the tire.. As expected tires were 15 lbs under riding preference from the spit shop. Yes I have a tire air gauge in my tool set & yes I forgot it in Thailand. Yes, it’s been a pain in the ass w/o one for the last 3 weeks.. But now, problem solved. Tire pressure was probably fine all along. Welcome to Traveling the World.. Everyday is a new experience.

There is no joy quite like riding a moto and using the streets as a playground. #UrbanMX

Looking forward to the weekend and the @bobmcridermania #BOBMCRiderMania2020 #NepalRM2020 #BOBMC #Nepal

Ps, i’m still on the hunt for my SNAP & i’ve not recruited the Hotel owner & his Nephew in the search & repair. I will find my snap! You’re always with me CF.

IMG_6767.JPG IMG_3956.JPG IMG_6767.JPG
    IMG_6462.jpeg IMG_6454.jpeg Sunday am BOBMC Ridermania.jpg Sat night BOBMC Stage shot.png
    IMG_2013 2.JPG IMG_6397 2.JPG IMG_7469 2.JPG IMG_4882 2.JPG
  2. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 28/29/30 - Jan 24/25/26, 2020
    Pokhara - Rally Day 1 Friday w/ Evening
    Distance today ~15km
    Sleep > Pokhara Star Inn

I had met @JayMaverick earlier in the week and he invited me to meet his other club members in the afternoon before rolling into the Rally. “Royal Beasts” as they are called, are a (wonderful) collection of guys from the Delhi area who all all come together & share the passion and love for motorcycles. The group has ~40 members at this time (from what i recall) & previously many more. Over the years members have come & gone but the core group, some of them going back to 2004 are still active. I was fortunate to meet nearly all of the #RB members who came for RiderMania. All of them had a few characteristics in common. Friendliness, welcoming, openness & a kind heart, along with the obvious passion for Royal Enfield & two wheels. I feel honored to be welcomed & accepted by their group & for the endless introductions to the event organizers, & other club members. All meeting in Pokhara for the #BOBMCRiderMania2020 event.

Bikes, Bikes & more bikes…New, old, stock, custom, plain, elaborate, 98% of the riders from India & 2% from Nepal. +1300 registered with over 1100 attending… Potentially more.. For the long time rally attendees & club members, it was a weekend of seeing old friends & making new ones. http://forenepal.org.np/ http://www.bobmcridermania.com/ #BOBMCRMNEPAL #FORENEPAL

IMG_6393.jpeg IMG_6442.jpeg IMG_6405.jpeg IMG_6413.jpeg IMG_6416.jpeg IMG_6369.jpeg IMG_6387.jpeg
    Lost Cartographer and 95Monster like this.
  3. TheNetworker

TheNetworker Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello TRX,

I would like to follow you with all the valued information in you report - but the resoltion of your pictures in the report is so poor that the visual impression in reading and watching is no fun.

Can you use another pictures resolution for uploading photos?

Test in....
    TRX Rally likes this.
  4. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    I have been clicking on the pics which opens a way to scroll between them, at normal resolution, though I don’t seem to be able to zoom in on them at all.
    But yes, the odd resolution is tiresome.
  5. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hi @TheNetworker - Thanks for your note.. but its a forum / uploading issue, all of my photos are +3mb or larger, and i upload on via the "thumbnail option" and some images are thumbnail size and some are large with bad res.. I post the same images on FB and Instagram and they are fine there..

- todays post i will upload and use the full image size.. let's see what happens.

Appreciate the note and you following.
  6. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 31 - Jan 27, 2020
    Pokhara to Siddharthanagar
    Distance today ~185km
    Sleep > Galaxy Guest House and Restaurant (https://www.booking.com/hotel/np/galaxy-guest-house.en-gb.html)

Ridges to Bridges and the simple mountain life, down the dusty trail..

Today was another great day on the bike. Even with the 20km before Tilottama (35km before Siddarthanagar) being a massive dust storm/bowl/cloud.. that turned my black riding gear tan like a latte.…Soon as you leave Pokhara lakeside area, the mountain road climbs back & forth up to the ridge, & the side of the mountain overlooks deep valleys & mountain-side farms. The ride today brought back great memories of riding in North Vietnam, although Ha Giang region is more dramatic, the H-10 from Pokhara to Tansen / Butwal is breathtaking and fun nonetheless.

When riding through the mountain towns like today I’m often reminded of the simplicity of life & how we have complicated it as Humans. 90% of the time i ride, i stand on the foot-pegs & my height is near that of a land cruiser or SUV. Standing allows me to see & be seen, plus the (sound) of my exhaust, when i pass people it typically stops them for a moment & triggers a unique facial expressions.. I can only guess they think for a moment a spaceman is zipping by… the facial expressions of (mostly older men) is priceless. Perplexed, confused, intrigued, most of these men are sitting in front of their house or in front of a shop, some talking with friends others half asleep.. all watching life pass them by quietly, until i go by..

There’s a beauty in the simple mountain life. Kids playing, men talking with friends or watching the day pass by, (most) women i see are working in some capacity.. cleaning, herding goats/cows, cooking, washing clothes, washing babies, washing dishes, washing their own hair.. Theres a community feeling in these villages & often I see the cleaning/washing activities at the single water source for the village. Commonly the only water source for the village is a pipe/house with a steady (slow) flow of water which i guess is coming from a nearby stream.

Majority of the mountain houses in Nepal do not have “running” water, electricity or indoor plumbing for a toilet.. These mountain homes, similar to those in Vietnam are simple structures providing shelter & some degree of warmth from the (cold) environment outside. Shops selling Blankets are common, as is the cold mountain air.

To the people of Nepal, you have a beautiful country, please stop with the littering.

Special thanks to those helping me directly and indirectly. #TRON #Betfury_io #advriderofficial #CRF250Rally #TRXRally #AraiHelments #Alpinstars #FoxRacing #SKDA #SeatConcepts #ZetaRacing #Ohlins #ridekriega #SRCUSA #Motostuff #Pokhara #siddharthanagar #Nepal #Mountains #bridges #rivers #travel #DIDChain #talonengineering #RideMitas #MitasTyres #RigidIndustries #ProTaper #EBC #coremotousa #Galfer #Motorex

(All images shot on iPhone 8+ and uploaded full image)

Jan 27 Layout images.JPG IMG_6637.JPG IMG_6974.JPG IMG_4233.JPG IMG_4699.JPG IMG_5528.JPG IMG_5270.JPG IMG_6535.jpg IMG_4699.JPG IMG_3325.JPG

Attached Files:

95Monster, 9w6vx and ScotsFire like this.
  7. TheNetworker

TheNetworker Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good morning TRX,

much better photo quality and much more fun to follow your story. Thank you for the improvement.
    Stay safe and have fun.

Greetings from the dark north of Germany.
    TRX Rally and 9w6vx like this.
  8. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    Incredible journey, and to quote the Striking Viking "after you've been in India it's like the rest of the world is in slow motion"
    Thanks for taking the time to write this up!
  9. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 32 - Jan 28, 2020
    Lumbini - Buddha Birth Place
    Distance today ~50km
    Sleep > Galaxy Guest House and Restaurant

Mayadevi Temple is the most sacred site in the Lumbini Garden where archaeologists have identified the exact spot where Lord Buddha was born. Inscriptions on the Ashoka Pillar nearby also refer to the spot as his birthplace. It is said that the newly born Prince Siddhartha (later became the Buddha) took his first seven steps and delivered his peace message to humanity here.

The birth took place in the beautiful Sal grove, which is now the focal point of the Lumbini Garden. Mayadevi, the Queen of Shakya King Suddhodhana of Kapilvastu, while passing through the Lumbini Garden, on the day of Baishakha Purnima (full moon day of May in 623 BC) took a bath in the the Sacred Pond Pushkarini and soon after gave birth to Prince Siddhartha.

https://www.welcomenepal.com/places-to-see/lumbini-nepal-birthplace-of-buddha.html

*Buddha Birth Place  BW IMG_6596.jpg *Buddha Birth Place Outside backside IMG_3223.JPG *Buddha Birth Place Sign IMG_6568.jpg *Buddha Birth Place Boy Statue looking at Peace Pagoda IMG_6564.jpg *Buddha Birth Place Looking at Boy statue IMG_2304.JPG *Buddha Birth Place  Boy along IMG_5008.JPG

Attached Files:

Lost Cartographer and imnothng like this.
  10. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 32 - Jan 28, 2020
    Lumbini - World Peace Pagoda
    Distance today ~50km
    Sleep > Galaxy Guest House & Restaurant

World Peace Pagoda
    The large World Peace Pagoda at the northern end of Lumbini is designed to be a symbol to unite humanity in a desire for peace.

The Lumbini Shanti Stupa/Peace Pagoda was constructed by Nipponzan Myohoji monks & dedicated in November 2001 at the Buddhist pilgrimage site in kapilvastu district lumbini zone Nepal, where Queen Mayadevi is said to have given birth to Siddhartha Gautama, who in turn, as the Buddha Gautama, gave birth to the Buddhist tradition.

*World Peace Pagoda from p lotIMG_6691.jpg *World Peace Pagoda B&W IMG_6682 2.jpg *World Peace Pagoda with Lion right side IMG_6661.jpg *Peace Pagoda Data Stone IMG_6681.jpg *Peace Pagoda Sign IMG_6245.JPG Peace Pagoda with DogIMG_5847.JPG World Peace Pagoda with TRXRally IMG_2658.JPG
    Lost Cartographer likes this.
  11. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 33 - Jan 29, 2020
    Galaxy Guest House (Siddharthanagar) to Bedis Dream Land (Maheshpur)
    Distance today ~ 190km / 7 hours (customs was 3 hours)
    Sleep > Bedis Dream Land -

By 10am the sun dried the roads enough from the rain last night, to ride into India border & hoped for dry weather as far as i travelled. Typically first you go to Immigration then customs when you enter & exit, so i found Nepal Immigration &the officer said go to Customs &if they need a stamp come back.. not logical but ok. Customs ask to see Carnet, i provide, he ask for immigration departure stamp, i explain they said Customs first, he looked confused &sent me back to Immigration. 15 minutes later, immigration departure stamp done. Back to Customs, provide Carnet again, he asked for “copies”.. find the copy shop back across the street next next to immigration. Passport &visa copies made. Back to Customs, provide Carnet again, with copies, &passport. 90 minutes later after Carnet departure stamp done.

Now to India Customs because Immigration was 800m down the road… Found customs after riding by it two times. Small building with no sign only one uniformed official outside. Park bike in front, welcomed inside, provide Carnet and Passport. “Boss” hands it to the employee & goes back to reading the paper. I sit & wait, 15minutes later the boss says come with me, we look at my bike outside, he ask me to “read” my license place to him.. 2AB 3963 i said. He ask for the frame number, he reads incorrectly twice, so i read it to him & we get it correct. He ask for the engine number, i said, no engine number he looks confused & says ok. back inside to his desk, he stamps & signs carnet. 15 minutes later India customs done. Now immigration. I find it, setback entrance to a small building on a hotel property, & hidden among a number of shops on both sides. All Immigration guys are in a good mood laughing & joking, they ask where are you from, where do you go… I said, US & to India.. One guy looks outside, sees the bike & says something to the other 5 guys, next think i know i’m sitting alone & all immigration guys are outside taking photos & selfies with my bike.. one immigration worker comes back in & helps me with the entry. 15 minutes later the “boss” comes back in rubbing his shin, & i asked are, you ok? (i saw him kick the engine guard when he sat on the bike), he said, yes, leg hurts but ok, i said, i have a secret trap on the bike & it will bite you if you don’t ask for permission to get on my bike..(he didn’t laugh)… Dealing with Immigration is a fine line between rules & personal interaction with humor & respect, or not depending on the situation.

Massive headwind the whole way to the hotel. Wanted to get to Lucknow, but was exhausted from 3+ hours at the border so stayed at Bedis in Maheshpur.

Another Fishbowl Flashmob when stopping for a drink of water & bananas… Welcome to India (again) - Video captured but cannot upload here.

Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 11.18.14 AM.png IMG_6716.jpg IMG_6443.JPG IMG_4820.JPG IMG_4248.JPG IMG_1164.JPG
    Lost Cartographer likes this.
  12. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 34 - Jan 30
    Bedis Dream Land (Maheshpur) to Joeys Hostel (Agra)
    Distance today ~ 500km / 10h
    Sleep > Joeys Hostel Agra

Apparently i pushed the adventure route on Mapsme from on the way to Agra. From the hotel i made it to Lucknow, and stopped for breakfast at the Renaissance Marriott (with a 14th floor restaurant with a city view) After leaving bfast, my “Urban Motocross race” started, i wasn’t literally racing but the route mapsme had on was crazy! Imagine the worse traffic in your life, ever, then make it worse, add zoo animals, add farm animals, add a massive construction zone, add rush hour traffic (it was 11am) add a funeral procession, add a parade, add pedestrians & school kids going every which way, add trash piles the size of of 3 landfills along the streets, add river crossings, and a mud bog, and add what felt like the Amazing Race TV show… Oh & add some more traffic. Following the map, i went from the East part of Lucknow to the West right through the heart of the city…well the heart & arteries & the veins. 3 lane expressway quickly turned into a 2 lane road then into a single wide road with traffic of both directions fighting to move. thankfully for the motorcycle & off road suspension i was able to slowly navigate through the mess. A few stand offs with smaller cars, horse drawn wagons, human powered & gas powered tuk-tuks… i thought the whole time, that Red Bull or someone needs to plan a inter-city adventure race, & this route would also be the perfect proving ground for new bikes that are introduced to the market.. durability & reliability testing…

Once i finally got through Lucknow, i found the Toll road & gladly paid the small fee for the wide open perfect tarmac to get to Agra. 350KM of refreshing & surprisingly nice road. Second fuel stop required due to strong headwind & when i went for coffee at the rest stop, i noticed two very familiar bikes.. Its was Simi & another friend (who has the same white Arai helmet as me) from the Royal Beasts, who i met at the @BobMCRiderMania in Pokhara.. Found them inside & was excited to have guys to ride with who i knew.. We met up with other RB club members down the toll road & all rode together to the Agra Delhi turn off.. I’m so thankful for the kindness & friendships that were created last week in Pokhara. Great group of guys & passionate motorcyclist! See you next week in Delhi.

Random sites today: Older Men brushing their teeth on the side of the highway.. a lot of them.

IMG_4051.JPG IMG_3587.JPG IMG_6402.JPG IMG_7047.JPG IMG_6746.JPG IMG_7126.JPG IMG_7771.JPG Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 12.09.04 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 12.12.24 PM.png
  13. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 35 - Jan 31
    Agra
    Distance today ~ 5km Walking

Today was a trip.

There’s an interesting juxtaposition of energy in Agra. Super friendly & helpful locals who want to be friends & talk for hours, & then others, mostly an older generation, some in a position of authority / perceived power, who are nervous & fear based.. & I forget (honestly) the World can be so on “edge” & fear focused is or can be the dominating mentality. Walking around today, outside the Taj Mahal, (it’s closed on Fridays) i come to a point in the direction of the street where other people (locals) were walking, but i was stopped abruptly, so i asked if i could walk to the right, down the other street, direction towards backstreets & local living area, but also direction of a Mosque (afternoon prayer was over) & armed guards had only two words for me.. “Go Back”… So i did, but the irony, this was not any restricted area, plenty of (locals) walking the same street(s) in both directions.. Yesterday when arriving in Agra, following google maps, i was also stopped & turned back… this i understood as i was in full riding gear & helmet on a bike & a type/style they have not seen before.. but today, simply as a harmless tourist i was just wanting to explore the area… the vibe & energy was clear… You are not welcome here, at this time. So be it, i walked to another part of town.

Later, as i was in need of some filling food (Italian Carbs really) i found a well recommended restaurant & started walking towards my planned PASTA dish a 3km away.. i love walking through cities & taking the local back streets, the streets that run parallel to the main roads but are where residents live, where daily commerce is happening & where you see the interior of the city. You also get the smell of the city & that was today.. the first half of the walk was “normal” back streets, phone shops, food shops, barbers, dressmakers, & plenty animals & locals.. Walking (opposed to being on the motorbike or in a car / taxi / tuk-tuk) you can actually see down the alleys & into the shops & if you catch a front or back door open, you get a glimpse into the life & conditions of the locals. The animals intrigued me today, the sleeping dogs, the lazy & roaming cows, the tied up goats, & the pigs roaming & rummaging through anything that looks potentially edible. I also had a close up to the level of harsh reality & the conditions for the elderly here. For some reason i saw a large number of older/elderly women 80-85+ sitting out front of doorways, buildings & on the streets, some with friends / families, others alone, but almost all of them with a similar look of a very hard life. Many of them seemed to be a miniature version of their previous self. Some sitting, some laying down, others huddled with friends, but all of them small & petite & weathered, very aged & frail. It was really sad to see..

I also met a number of young boys, today, 12-14, some coming home from school, others just hanging out after “prayer” at the nearby Mosque. All friendly & curious… curious about where i am from, my watch brand, my phone brand & why i am in town, where i was going & strangely asking to see US money…. Asking to see the money turned into telling me i should give them money so they can have a “samosa & sprite party” at the local snack shop.. These young boys who are probably appropriate size for Indian boys, but compared to 12-14 year olds in Asia, the US or Europe, they were much thinner & smaller & honestly looked no older than 10. Would be interesting to know where they end up in 2030 and what opportunities & challenges they are presented in the next 10 years of their life.

IMG_0172.JPG IMG_4519.JPG IMG_4750.JPG IMG_9368.JPG Joeys to DD Italian map .png IMG_1268.JPG
  14. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 36 - Feb 1
    B Day in Agra
    Distance today ~ 7-10km walking

After breakfast and a video birthday call from my parents while on the rooftop of Joeys viewing the Taj Mahal, morning bike maintenance was in order.. quick chain adjustment, but a thorough check of all the nuts and bolts, mechanical parts from front to back and top to bottom inspected today…Recently turned over 10K km and little over 5km on the trip.. Apparently it was rather entertaining for 15 different locals who had 50 different questions while i was trying look over the bike.. . The bike is running extremely well, it’s a Honda and i expected nothing less, but I struggle, only in my mind more than actual bike issue with the stiffness in the back of the bike from the rack/supports and luggage weight, and the thought of the steering stem bearing lock nut not being completely at the correct torque spec and with having the feel of slight movement in the front end. Everything on the bike “feels” correct, but after the steering stem bearing lock nut loosening from the vibration of 4km leading into Kathmandu, it’s on my mind that its chronically lose now… Moto mind games… Will get it checked soon as i land in Delhi and have access to a trusted shop which friends use. I’m also reminded of how well my @AlpineStar Tech 7’s are holding up over the trip and terrain.. I expected nothing less, but they seriously get more and more comfortable with each day.

Evening came and a few nights a week at Joeys they have a BBQ where “Panda” promotes and BBQ’s pineapple, panner, veggies and chicken, before the main buffet of more traditional Indian food is put out.. All fo this with good music and a small bonfire with the rooftop view overlooking the Taj Mahal… luckily for us, we had a nice clear sky filled with stars, once the light pollution decreased..

To my surprise, between the BBQ and main buffet, a happy birthday cake and lit candles arrived on the table where i was with a group of new friends.. France, Argentina, Chile, Australia, China, Canada, Korea and Germany, and Indian all represented this evening.. It was a wonderful and thoughtful surprise and an honor to share with people from around the world with similar interests, passions, and experiences from their travels. A Birthday which will always be remembered.

*IMG_6920.PNG

*Taj IMG_0815 2.JPG * Taj outside IMG_7138.JPG *Taj Design close up IMG_6876 2.jpg *Taj Design mid IMG_6876.jpg * Taj tower door IMG_7903.JPG *Taj BFG Sticker IMG_6833.JPG *Taj River back IMG_1545.JPG

Attached Files:

Lost Cartographer and Pilomajajo like this.
  15. Pilomajajo

Pilomajajo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are you ok? been a while since your last post
  16. redlava

redlava Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Curious about your thick motorex 15-50...is your crank case okay..hope you well too
  17. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:

bike is running perfect with 16k km.. i run the KN oil filter as well.