January Baja Trip

Discussion in 'Americas' started by MotorcycleWriter, Nov 23, 2019.

1. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    Got a little time off in late Jan. Thinking of getting out of the cold for a week down in Baja. Going to be going with a buddy. It’s our first trip to Mexico and I’m hoping to get some advice on whether we should use an established tour company vs self-guided? Personal bike vs rental? Thoughts?
  2. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have your own motorcycle then why on earth consider rental and / or a tour company . ?
    Baja is a simple area to visit and getting your motorcycle in is not difficult.
    There are various points you can enter Baja from California and Arizona and for BAJA and the border zone you only need to get the personal tourist card , a k a the FMM and you need Mexico liability insurance for the bikes , and of course personal out-of country health insurance.
    Bring several credit cards and bank debit cards , get your peso supply form an ATM and have at it .

A week in Baja California Norte may be enough for a leisurely wander up and down the state as far south as Guerrero Negro in BCS (whale watching ) . You could do the loop south along the east coast on Mex 5 and then join Mex 1 for the section back north to Ensenada, Tijuana or Mex 3 to Tecate and east through Mexicali .
    Or you could go to any spot near the border and plunk down for the better part of the week and go home .
    Trying to get all the way to Los Cabos and then turning around would be an insane race if you have only one week in Mexico . .
    MotorcycleWriter likes this.
  3. MotorcycleWriter

Oddometer:
    I've not traveled in Mexico before. I have 'heard' from some that in some cases you're better off renting a bike. I'd prefer not to. I could take either my 701 or my 'adventurized' R1150Rockster. The 7091 is better off road. The 1150 is better on road. I guess it depends on what kind of trip I want to take.
  4. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ride your 701 as Baja is all about off road. I recommend doing the ride out to San Francisquito from Bahia de los Angeles. Take minimal camping gear, a pad, sleeping bag, and bivy sack or light tent. It opens up many possibilities and options. Fuel range is key as is water. Have fun!
  5. fijiman

fijiman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be watching this thread as I also want to do Baja in January....maybe I'll just tag along...I have a WR250R
  6. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    'adventurized' R1150Rockster ? Is that like government intelligence?

(sorry, couldn't resist.)
  7. MotorcycleWriter

Oddometer:
    There are very few differences between a GS and an R. The Rockster is an R with a GS transmission and headlight. Some off road tires and a skid plate is 90% of a GS with a little less ground clearance.
    Motomantra likes this.
  8. dravnx

dravnx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It can get cold at night in January. I've seen mid 30's as far south as Loreto.
  9. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    M Writer, to simplify, there are two styles of moto travels in Baja: paved touring, and 2-track/off-road. Both are good.

If you're OK with saving many front end tucks in soft sand on the loaded R then go for San Fran as suggested above, otherwise keep the R on the pavimento, or ride the single.

The R is good for north/south hwy 1, the single for east/west rancho road adventure.

I winter in Mulege, with a 600 single, many years. That's kinda far for a 9 day sched, but would make you want to come back.
    princess jamaica and knight like this.
  10. webbmx

webbmx n00b

Oddometer:
    I put this on the February post and thought I would add it here in case they overlap;

I have firmed up the dates that I will be in Baja. I thought that I would throw them out so we can make some connections to have a network of peeps who will be traveling in case we can help each other out.

I plan store my van and trailer and cross the border @ Tecate on January 31st and head south using Gpskevin's route as a basic guide. I have to be in Cabo on the February 7th to pick my girlfriend up at the airport. She and I will have a couple of weeks together. She will fly out of LaPaz on February 22nd. I will start back toward the border with no particular time line at that point.

Again, I will be on a 690 and will have inReach and cell where service allows. I plan to wild camp and/or stay in campgrounds or hotels as the mood and situation dictates.

That's all I got for now.