Janus Motos thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by LuciferMutt, Mar 9, 2021.

1. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:

Fantastic looking bike, if you are after this look. I've always appreciated Janus, and commend them on their ongoing success and efforts. It will be expensive for what it is, as are all Janus motorcycles, but where else are you going to buy something like this? Pretty neat.

More here:
    https://www.janusmotorcycles.com/halcyon-450/
    Brembos, EFI, Ikon hidden shocks for the hardtail look.
  2. kaput13

kaput13 gasoholic

Oddometer:
    olie, 9Realms, B02S4 and 1 other person like this.
  3. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll wager a good number of folks will answer yes. There is an entire segment of folks who care nothing about high performance-but the high performance folks never know them, because they aren't high performance riders. They just like to go-and some will go with this style.
    Heck, we sold Bonnevilles for years to guys with big Harley's because they wanted a bike that reminded them of being 20 with a Triumph. Rode them 250 miles a year but loved them and when they wanted THAT feel they had it. You'd be surprised how many are out there like that.
    RedDogAlberta and cide1 like this.
  4. alienbogey

alienbogey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 250 thumper generic engine Janus is about $7,500, and the 450 thumper generic motor Janus is $13,500. $6,000 more to add 200cc's?

Yeah, I see that you also get Brembo's, a Sargent seat, and a softail. (The Sargent seat is curious in itself, as in touting their 250 they've always extolled the virtues of their locally sourced, built-by-the-Amish seats and bags.)

It seems like an excessive upcharge - 80% higher price for modest power and suspension improvements?

And - YMMV - with the bigger engine filling the space, the oil cooler, the FI, the visible softail, for me it goes much further from the vintage look that is their thing.

I've always been interested in the Halcyon 250 and might get one some day but, even disregarding the price, the 450 misses the mark for me.
    robsong likes this.
  5. wellcraft

wellcraft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll pass, I'm not enamored with the styling, built in China, or the price which seems excessive for what you get. If I wanted a retro styled bike I'd go with Triumph or Royal Enfield and be happy.
    Milosh and B02S4 like this.
  6. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I woulda rather had the Virago 250 twin motor other Chinese bikes are using
    [​IMG]
    Scoozi, KneeDrachen and zuma like this.
  7. KingOfFleece

Oddometer:
    I dunno. I thought that was one of the most gutless motors I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. I thought my wife's first Suzuki 250 had more guts.
    Maybe my memory is a bit foggy.................but I remember really disliking the Yamaha.

Either way, the JANUS offerings are expensive. One would imagine they really only compete against themselves and the pleasure of owning one. Typical motorcycle metric measurements are really unimportant to the purchaser.
    vtbob likes this.
  8. KingOfFleece

Oddometer:
    They do appear to have found a nitch that buyers agree with.
  9. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    They are priced appropriately considering the amount of hand labor that goes into building one. I'm not a fan of the Chinese engines either, but they are choosing engines that are extremely well supported, and have millions of real world test miles on them all over Asia, etc, in very harsh conditions with terrible maintenance. For better or worse, the engines are such exact Honda clones, you can use Honda parts in them. They even get the 250s to pass US emissions with a carb, and are EPA certified. Kind of amazing. One of the founders rode a Halcyon 250 in a saddle sore 1000.

As for the hand labor, the tanks are bent, formed, welded, finished, and painted by hand. They build their own front suspension links. The leather is hand stitched. The battery boxes are hand made. Fenders. Etc. They outsource some other labor to local suppliers. The Sargent seat does have me scratching my head, but, I expect a 450 is intended for longer days than a 250, and a really good seat is more important.

I still won't buy one, but, like I said, if this look and feel of motorcycle really scratches an itch for you, where else are you going to buy one, and from a (mostly) US based builder who takes custom orders directly and gives you the exact paint and accessories you want? Somebody on reddit/r/motorcycles has already ordered a 450.

If Janus even had close to the overhead and engineering support to design and manufacture their own engine, these bikes would be as expensive as a Motus. And we all know what happened to Motus anyway. I'm hopeful that Janus is able to partner with somebody on an engine design in the future if they continue to be successful, but they consider themselves a custom motorcycle company, not an engine builder, and the requirements for the latter are a high bar indeed.

I followed a thread in Thumpers last year with great interest when an inmate ordered and bought a Halcyon 250. I think he recently sold it, but he loved the entire experience.
    kottomack, Xchemie, Rich B and 3 others like this.
  10. KingOfFleece

Oddometer:
    Well said, sir.
  11. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    I like them and have hoped the company would succeed (it appears they have) with the 250. I like the look and the quality of the workmanship.
    But, not enough to buy one.
    With the 250, the lack of performance is more of a turn-off than the Chinese sourced engine. It would be a great city bike and alternative to a scooter but where I live it's pretty impractical. My Royal Enfield 500 probably offers similar performance and I relegate it to back road use as a fun footnote bike to my others. The RE doesn't offer the quality but has the vintage look while not pretending to be vintage; it is pretty much a 1955 motorcycle.
    So while the 250 at $6000-ish is an interesting niche toy the 450 at over twice the price just seems silly. I also don't care for the looks as much with all the extra necessities hung on it.
    B02S4 and LuciferMutt like this.
  12. invicta1

invicta1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like it. The limited upper speed of the 250 was a stopper. But the 450 seems to have an upper end of ~90mph. I could buy one, but I'd have to have some sort of financial windfall, pretty pricey, approx. same price OTD as I paid for my MG Stelvio, when new. Seems like a fun retirement bike for kicking around the driftless area at 40-60mph.
    vtbob and davidji like this.
  13. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    The only other new bike I know of that seems so authentically retro is the Kiwi Indian, and you can buy 4 of these for the price of their 1953 Chieftain, which is no longer shown on their website. And I think that was their only bike with rear suspension. With flathead engines (and only hardtails left in their lineup) I guess the Kiwi bikes are more authentically retro. Still, they make this look like a bargain.
  14. busa1300

busa1300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in the same county as the company.
    They showed up at the vintage bike show in town last week with 3 250's and a 450.
    The 450 looked substantial compared to the 250's.
    Cool bikes (I like the way the front ends look)....but pretty damn expensive for what they are.
    Not my style...look ok but way too slow....but I hope they keep production going.
    LuciferMutt and villageidiot like this.
  15. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to buy a 250 this summer. I just want to test ride first to decide between the Halcyon and the Gryffin. The 450 looks like I might like that, too, but I can't justify that much $ for a short ride toy.

I'm just waiting for a better weather report to ride the 1200 mile round trip and test ride.
    Major Taylor, wfrpalm and LuciferMutt like this.
  16. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    A 1200 mile trip on a little aircooled 250 sounds amazing! EDIT: I'm stupid, you mean you are riding 1200 miles there and back to SEE the Janus.

You might want to read this thread from thumpers about the Halcyon 250:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/i-ordered-a-janus-halcyon-motorcycle.1396197/
    brgsprint likes this.
  17. bbrz

bbrz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn you LuciferMutt, with that thread I went down the Janus rabbit hole. Goshen is near by (3 hrs.). China doll motor or not, a great retirement gift to ME. The wife is gonna say WTF, but I will be grinning. She has not stopped a new purchase yet for toys.
  18. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe they'll bring back the sidecar now.
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  19. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    LOL! Have fun! The engine is definitely a sticking point for most, but the Janus boys did their homework on it, and if you're going to use a Chinese engine, you use the one they picked. It's about as well-respected and reliable as an aircooled 250 from China gets.
    KingOfFleece likes this.
  20. Vrode

Vrode Still half-fast... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love the concept but......$6k more for a 450? I appreciate the workmanship but that seems like a steep hill to climb.