Janus Motos thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by LuciferMutt, Mar 9, 2021.

1. ysrebob

ysrebob yessiree, Bob.

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike! Really like the way you spec'ed it out.
  2. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Bob.

I got the e-mail today. It's done. I'll be there Friday morning to pick it up.

:rilla
  3. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Nice! They are right on schedule. All in all, that's still incredibly fast for a custom bike build. Exciting!
    bbrz, brgsprint and villageidiot like this.
  4. brgsprint

Oddometer:
    I can get a personalized plate to match the pedestrian slicer on the fender. "JM 706".
    Allucaneat, LuciferMutt and bbrz like this.
  5. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    awesome!
  6. brgsprint

Oddometer:
    It's finally on it's way to my house.
    [​IMG]
    kottomack, bbrz, AwDang and 5 others like this.
  7. brgsprint

Oddometer:
    It seems weightless on the hitch carrier. Way better than pulling a trailer. I like my Kendon trailer, but with so little weight, there is less to be concerned about without two more wheels on the road. Tolls are cheaper, too.

I sure got a lot of thumbs up on the 600 mile drive home. I set my cruise at 5 over on the highway. I'm usually one of the slower vehicles. Many times, a car overtaking me would back off for a bit to get a longer look at the Janus. I'd then get a thumbs up or wave as they passed. A motorcycle rider did that and as he passed, he turned in his seat to be sure I saw his left hand thumb. Of course, I had a big grin and waved. As he did that, he wandered to the right into my lane. He was clear of me, but he accelerated to catch up to his buddy before he turned completely back around. He was startled by how close he was to the left rear corner of the camper trailer in front of me. His quick swerve to the left barely avoided disaster. I was already on the brakes.
    ysrebob likes this.
  8. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Causing distracted driver incidents all the way home :rofl

Absolutely gorgeous motorcycle. Those folks at Janus have "the look" perfected, IMO. Excited for your shake-down rides.

Hitch carriers for motorcycles make me a bit nervous. Glad the drive went well. If I were in your shoes, I'd be double checking all the fasteners on that hitch for any signs of rust, and making sure they are torqued properly. Tongue weight =/= allowable hitch carrier load. At least the Janus is like 260lb IIRC,so it should be ok. How'd you get it on and off? Just a few guys lifting?
  9. brgsprint

Oddometer:
    Before I get to addressing the Mutt's comments, he reminded me of another story. I've got lots of stories, each as boring as the next.

When I told Mitch, the Janus sales guy, I was there to pick up my Halcyon, he asked me how I would transport it. I answered that I would need help laying it in the back of my Murano. I got the look I was hoping for as his face showed that he thought I was an idiot. I then showed him the carrier that was in there. I also told him another story. Back about 1970, I helped a friend pick up a new Harley Rapido 125 (Aeromachi). We laid it in the trunk of a Pontiac Bonneville for the 50 mile ride home.

Never using a hitch carrier had me second guessing my choice on the drive out. The drive back convinced me I made the right choice. I checked everything after 10 miles and about 5 more times on the drive. I had no worries over the last 200 miles. The tongue weight limit on my Murano is 350. The Halcyon plus the hitch is close to that. I'm sure that is oversimplifying things, but I also think those limits have a certain margin of error. One thing I will do is shorten the carrier one notch, moving it about 4 inches closer to the car. I left it as set for the first try to be certain the handlebar end couldn't reach my rear window if it bounced that way. It didn't come close.

Other observations: My backup camera only shows the engine. My car's tail lights are plenty visible. Gas mileage wasn't noticeably lower.
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  10. ysrebob

ysrebob yessiree, Bob.

Oddometer:
    Woohoo! How’s it ride!?
  11. brgsprint

Oddometer:
    I got home late last night and unloaded it this morning after sleeping until 9.

[​IMG]

As I started it for the first time, a light rain started. I only rode a couple of miles before heading back to cover.

This thing is so light it steers like a bicycle.

Here is "The New" between "The Blues".

[​IMG]
  12. bbrz

bbrz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic looking piece (I mean the red one). Is that the comfort seat? Mitch and the boys in the shop did a good one for you. Your experience is driving me toward the thread What Motorcycle Did You Buy Today? When you settle down, let us know more, please. Thanks for getting involved and putting your money, and time towards a one off Halcyon 250. :clap
    brgsprint and KingOfFleece like this.
  13. brgsprint

Oddometer:
    It is the comfort seat.

I'll write about the ride when I am able to ride. Normally, I ride in the rain but I think the Halcyon will be my fair weather motorcycle. Maybe I can keep it clean for a while.
    bbrz and AwDang like this.
  14. ParkedPatina

ParkedPatina Duke of ROFLs and LMAOs

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that would be me. I didn't think I would like a fast-talking-high-pants era bike, but I am quite impressed, and I actually like that it has disc brakes and modern handlebars. Can't quite get to justifying the price when I can probably find an R1100RS or R65LS for the same price as a Phoenix =(
  15. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Curious question to owners: What tires are coming stock on a Halcyon?
  16. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Duro
    LuciferMutt and brgsprint like this.
  17. brgsprint

Oddometer:
    I was finally able to ride a few miles between rain showers.

A few things I learned:

- remember the petcock, dummy
    - over tightening the gas cap doesn't let air in
    - kick start is easier when warm
    - it's weird to buy only $3 of gas

The second one had me concerned. When riding, it would quit after a couple miles. It would only restart after sitting a few minutes. When sitting on the side of the road looking at it, I noticed the clear fuel filter was empty. I turned the petcock to reserve and saw it drip in. It should have flowed faster. I looked in the tank to be sure it wasn't empty and noticed the gas filling the filter. :hmmmmm I looked to see how the tank was vented and saw that it was in the cap and I was tightening too much.

Filling it at home resulted in dribbling gas all over it from the damn no spill spout. I bought a 1 1/4 gallon can with a clever spout that works very well. I refill the little can from my 5 gallon one. Works clean and easy.
  18. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Theres a vent hose for the tank, cap shouldn’t matter if it’s clear
  19. brgsprint

Oddometer:
    I haven't talked about the ride much because I haven't ridden much.

I like the sound. I am surprised how deep a sound comes from a small thumper. The one I test rode had the fishtail on the exhaust. I thought it gave it an odd sound. I don't have one on mine and it seems a deeper sound. It's also louder than I expected. Not excessive. It just doesn't sound like a sewing machine.

I opted for the deluxe seat. The one I test rode has the standard one. I didn't compare back to back, but mine is more substantial. With no rear suspension other than the seat springs, it's surprisingly comfortable. My only issue over the few miles I have ridden is that I slide forward on the seat. I don't mind that on most motorcycles because it makes me feel more connected. On the Halcyon, I want to sit back where the springs are. I have heard of a solution, but will wait until I have more miles before making any changes.

I'll have lots more to say after I've ridden it lots more.
  20. brgsprint

Oddometer:
    Edited to say "got it".

Thanks.