Janus Motos thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by LuciferMutt, Mar 9, 2021.

1. RomaDakota

RomaDakota Experts agree!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found the majority of the "sound" is coming from the airbox.
  2. ysrebob

ysrebob yessiree, Bob.

Oddometer:
    Are there any inmates here who own or have ridden a Phoenix 250, and if so how do you like it? I am really tempted to have one of these built, but wonder how well-sorted the chassis' handling is. Live too far from Goshen to make a test ride practical.
  3. ysrebob

ysrebob yessiree, Bob.

Oddometer:
    It would be interesting to experiment with lining inside of the airbox with Dynamat or something similar. Might suppress some of the intake noise. I doubt it's a tuned enclosure, so the small decrease in internal dimensions should be irrelevant.
  4. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    I think you’d do better filling it with air filter foam.
  5. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the sound.
  6. brgsprint

Oddometer:
    My Janus and I made appearances at two fund raising rides today. It rained off and on through the day, so I didn't ride the events. Very few motorcycles participated, but I donated the entry fee at each and talked to a few people.

When I took my Halcyon to a local shop for it's initial NYS annual inspection, the shop owner joked that when someone asks what year it is, just answer "It's a 21". I did that today. He then asked me if I did the restoration. I told him "Not yet. It's only 2 weeks old".

It passed it's first hundred miles in a very wet week. Lots of short rides between showers.
    Florida Lime, LuciferMutt and blender like this.
  7. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    I’m stealing that!
    brgsprint likes this.
  8. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    People always ask me what year my Bullet is. It's kind of worn looking, so one could easily believe it's from decades ago. I just answer, "Guess". The answers are fun, then you can amaze them with the truth.
    brgsprint likes this.
  9. jtstalker

jtstalker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am stopping at Janus HQ in Indiana on the 30th during my trip to the pacific ocean. I got slammed with their ads on youtube a few months back and decided I should stop on my way. I don't see myself ever purchasing one but I do think the company is pretty cool.
    brgsprint likes this.
  10. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I've gotten the "what year is that" question about both my TU250 and my W800 at least a half dozen times on each. I still laugh at the "gangsta" type guy who rolled up next to me at a stoplight while I was riding the TU. He was driving a beat up SUV with immaculate, giant chrome wheels on it, thumping the bass. He peers over at me over the rims of his sunglasses below his flat bill and says "Hey bro, that's a dope-ass little bike." :rofl
    AwDang, villageidiot and brgsprint like this.
  11. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    Is that a compliment, or an insult ?
    It's hard to keep up with slang these days. :lol3
    Shin1ichi2002 and LuciferMutt like this.
  12. brgsprint

Oddometer:
    Yes
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  13. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    'round these parts "dope-ass" is high praise :D
    villageidiot and Florida Lime like this.
  14. bbrz

bbrz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not being pushy brgsprint, but any of your riding experience would be helpful. I am planning a trip to Goshen to get with Mitch soon. Look, I'm wanting a Legacy bike. After I give up riding, my children, or grand children will have Bill's bike. The one he had built for US. But, I want to enjoy it first. Suppose some of us know what I am saying.
  15. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    what do you want to know about them?
  16. bbrz

bbrz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Give me (us) your take. AwDang if we get this correctly, you have put some miles on one. Bumpy roads here in IL. Not that that is a no go to a Halcyon. Give me your take on the ride. I know what the bike is, and just need a little push to make one mine. Got the power in my head (OK with that), just curious about the suspension, seat, and how the enjoyment factor has been for you. The mods yours came with? Like standard seat, saw you had street tires, comfort (ha) seat? ETC. Not into the glam stuff.
  17. brgsprint

Oddometer:
    I'll write more when I get to ride more. It's been raining a lot and when the weather was nice, I've been away from home. Normally, I don't let rain stop me. This is definitely my fair weather ride. When it rains, I'll take my Tiger. It usually needs the bath.

I only have about 125 miles on #706. With choke, it starts instantly every time. After less than a minute, the choke is off and it idles smoothly. I don't have a lot of miles because I want to break it in carefully. I don't want to ride steady throttle for any length of time. I vary speed a lot, don't lug it and don't pin it for extended periods. I use it for errands and short rides. I am looking forward to pushing it to it's limits the way I did the demo model on my test ride.

I am 5'10", 195. I fit on the Halcyon very well. The ride is quite comfortable if I keep my butt at the back of the seat. The springs are back there, so the more forward I sit, the less they soften the ride. I think that will be better when a little of the sheen is worn off the new leather. The riding position is very comfortable and I can easily lift my tail off the seat when I see I'm about to hit a big bump. Overall, the ride is much better than I would expect from a hard tail. Mitch says everyone says that after crossing railroad tracks on the test ride.

The steering is incredibly quick and light. It's like steering a bicycle. It takes very little pressure on the bar to turn. I've read that being a hardtail, hitting a bump in a turn can upset it. I haven't experienced that at all. I haven't scraped a peg yet, and may never, but I have leaned it a bit and it hasn't scared me at all.

It's a lot of fun to ride and I expect it to only get better.
  18. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    @bbrz
    I have a few hundred on mine now and echo the above. It is like riding a bicycle, more specifically an old 3spd standard bike or beach cruiser. It seems most comfortable going down the road upright. I’ve tossed it into a few turn and gotten leaned over pretty good, here in the mountains.
    The front end has a different feel from a modern fork that takes a bit to learn. As said, hitting a bump leaned over will upset the chassis and make you clench.
    Power wise it’s great for the 14hp it has. I’m going to a 45 tooth rear to get a little more grunt climbing. They ship with a 47, but the popular mod is a 43 for top end. Mine came with a 43, it works ok, but I do have to down shift for a few grades around here.

This is not a bike for introverts, everyone wants to know about it. So be prepared for 30min gas stops.
    brgsprint likes this.
  19. bbrz

bbrz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, my questions answered. The ride is my only concern, and you both spelled it out. I have plenty of time to waste but don't want to waste Mitch's time only to take one for a spin and go "aw dang".
    brgsprint likes this.
  20. bbrz

bbrz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tomorrow I will get confirmation from Janus, put down a deposit on #709. "special edition" white with black. This was a HUGE leap of faith. I have not seen one in person, sat on one, or taken a test ride. Mitch was fantastic, and they are going to bring #709 to me. Removed and added some of the upgrades. All of the family is so excited. I thought I was going to have a heart attack when I said yes. Wish me luck, guys.