Japan September 2019

Discussion in 'Asia' started by gavo, Dec 5, 2018 at 1:03 AM.

1. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Ok the wife and I have decided 4 weeks in Japan.
    I want to see Hokkaido and Okinawa so that covers the North and South.
    We like History, Nature, not a fan of big cities but Tokyo and Kyoto are a must.
    Looking at hiring a bike, does not have to be big but able to cope with 2 people and some luggage.
    Do you take 1 bike from island to island or hire at each point?.
    Any recommendations on must see list?
  2. VACommuter

VACommuter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't rented a bike in Japan but based on riding my own here part of your planning process should involve consideration of the ferry system if you plan on covering a lot of ground. I find it hard to get anywhere quick and cheap in Japan. To get there quick you need to utilize the toll roads and they aren't that cheap. I imagine getting a rented bike to Okinawa by sea would be expensive. Might just be best to rent another bike in Okinawa once you get there. Hokkaido is awesome and you could easily spend a week just seeing the sights and riding the roads there. The seafood markets are top notch. If you can make the trip to Hiroshima it's worth at least a day or two to visit the various sights. Lots of castles, temples, and shrines all over Japan. Shimoda is interesting with lots of hot springs and some excellent curvy mountain roads. Make it down here to Yokosuka and I'll treat you to a beer!
    gavo likes this.
  3. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. I only intended certain areas for the bike mainly to get us into more rural areas. One price i got for ferry was 1 person and bike was about 30000 yen, +/- 5000, over $400 Australian so likely cheaper to rent on the island when arriving. But any and all suggestions welcome.
  4. windypoint

windypoint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know from my guided trip (Motoquest) that you will need an international drivers license to rent a bike in Japan. Not hard to get, but do it before you leave. It's a great country for riding. Tough to read road signs.
    gavo likes this.
  5. Lumberjeff

Lumberjeff River City MC

Oddometer:
    Last year a friend, myself and my wife did a tour in Japan with this company http://www.funridejapan.com/ the wife and I rode two up on a Africa Twin and my buddy rode a V Strom 650. If you are of average size or above bring your own gear.
    gavo likes this.
  6. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:

Might go this way, an organized bike for part of the time there. Were Motoquest good, pricey, cheap?, type of bike?
  7. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    How did you like them, well organised?, bike condition?, price, did you pick the route or them?, back roads or Hyway?
  8. VACommuter

VACommuter Long timer

Oddometer:
    89ABA997-FF34-428B-AD2B-95910F0DE662.jpeg
    Lunch today in Tokyo. Ramen, bitches! You’ll love the chow.
  9. windypoint

windypoint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought the Three Island tour of the three Southern Islands was great. Motoquest arranged all very rural lodging and most of the time we were the only "Westerners" . They have a variety of bikes available. My wife rode with me and she really enjoyed the experience. I don't recall the cost but it was not inexpensive, but a great way to see Japan with fun people that can handle the language barriers and know where to go.
    gavo likes this.
  10. Ppimouss

Ppimouss n00b

Oddometer:
    I did a self guided tour with
    https://japanbikerentals.com/ 3years ago
    Australian guy, perfect service.
    he managed the license official translation that was needed.
    I guess what you need depends on the country where your license is issued from
    Great riding (Tokyo -Nagano- Fuji area)
  11. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    The prices for these tours seem a lot as do the Motoquest tours but the self guided tours seem to be a good idea.