Japanese Version - Shoei Neotec II

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by byee, May 31, 2019.

1. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been shopping for a Shoei Neotec II but its not fitting perfectly for my round head. The Neotec's in North America are for intermediate oval heads.

I heard the helmets in Japan are round oval (more round than oval) vs intermediate oval. I realize the helmet is not DOT approved for the North American market. The helmets are JIS certified. From what I have seen, the test results are at par or exceeds DOT tests.

I guess what it comes down to is, purchase the DOT version of the Shoei Neotec II which doesn't fit perfectly or I can purchase the non DOT Japanese version of the Shoei which will fit me better. I will also have it custom fitted leveraging the Shoei's Personal Fitting Service (aka PFS) --> https://www.shoei.com/stores/. Basically, the helmet will be fitted for my head shape.

Shoei 's warranty is only valid for the country which the helmet is purchased. I can't seen anything going wrong with the helmet.

Can anyone confirm the Shoei's in Japan are in fact round oval?
  2. S21FOLGORE

S21FOLGORE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. S21FOLGORE

Oddometer:
    A little bit more info to add ...

#1. about internal shape difference of JDM Arai, SHOEI, OGK (Kabuto)
    Their JDM model internal shape is different from the export model.
    The officially imported to Japan Nolan (X-lite), AGV, are fitted with different EPS liner, to accommodate to their head shape.

To understand this, you need to read this "anatomy lesson" and what "CI (Cephalic Index)" is.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/how-to-solve-helmet-hot-spot-problem.1338421/page-2#post-36079549

The simple fact is, typically Japanese people's CI is higher than 85.
    Almost all Arai, SHOEI JDM helmets are made for CI=86 as standard.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/how-to-solve-helmet-hot-spot-problem.1338421/page-2#post-36079549

The reason is, mostly because of the difference between caucasoid vs mongoloid skull shape.

#2 About warranty and DOT stuff
    Yes, if you are located outside of Japan, there's no warranty for your JDM SHOEI, at all.
    About DOT certification, I never bother. (But it's just me. You have to make your own decision.)

#3 SHOEI in Japan does not (will not) sell you their JDM helmet.
    So, you will have to buy it from online motorcycle gear vendor in Japan, who will ship the stuff to oversea.
    Even then, they clearly say they take ABSOLUTELY NO RESPONSIBILITY.
    So, basically, you are on your own. They (online vendor in Japan) do not (will not) help you about
    fitting problem, etc, etc.

Repost of what I wrote about this ,...

The place that ships Japanese market model helmet to US

Webike Japan (The No.1 online motorcycle gear retailer in Japan)
    https://japan.webike.net/bm/top/Helmets/3001/

What they clearly say on the page

* All SHOEI products listed on our website are designed for usage in Japan only. Therefore based on safety standards established in Japan, they have been certified for industrial standards such as JIS and SNELL.
    * If you are using the helmet outside Japan, use it at your own risk. Please follow the rules and regulations established in each country and area you are in.
    * All SHOEI helmets on our website are manufactured for Japanese markets only. Therefore please be careful when comparing the sizes with other SHOEI helmet models sold overseas. Although the size description is the same, the actual sizing and weight may slightly differ.
    * The above also applies for SHOEI optional parts. For all SHOEI optional parts, suitability to SHOEI helmets sold overseas have not been confirmed."
    * The helmets sold on this site are based on the Japanese safety standard.
    We are not responsible for accidents, damage, injury, or any other related matters as a result of purchasing this product.

Now, about the fitment.

[​IMG]
    My X-14 is Japanese model. (bought from Webike Japan.)
    I didn’t do it for saving money (though it did save A LOT of money), but did it for the fitment.
    The last SHOEI helmet (official North America version) that I owned was x-8 Air ... even back then, the fitting was a little bit off, but I could wear it.
    After X-12, NONE of the offerings from SHOEI (North America model) fits me. GT-Air, Qwest, RF-1200, NeoTech, Nothing fits on my head, including X-14.

In case of SHOEI, the later the model, the bigger the difference (between Japanese version and North America version), it seems.

I have also owned multiple Arai helmets, and the difference between X-14 J-model and NA-model is a lot bigger than RX-7-X (J-model) and Corsair-X(NA-model). The head that fits into NA model X-14 will never fit comfortably in J-model X-14, and visa versa.
    It’s not just having extra room at temple area. The entire inner shape is different.

In case of Hornet, it may not be as extreme as X-14, but I can almost guarantee you, the J-spec Hornet will not fit your head comfortably if NA-spec Hornet fits your head properly.

About the cost.
    I purchased photochromic shield withX-14.
    X-14 $448
    CWR-1 Photochromic shield $126
    Shipping $ 69

Total $643

If I had bought them from Revzilla
    X-14 $731.99
    CWR-1 Photochromic shield $169.99

Total would have been $901.98

The safety standard related things

In case of X-14, there’s not that much difference. (They are both Snell 2015).
    However, in case of Hornet - ADV (J-model) and Hornet X2 (NA-model), there’s more difference.
    X2 is Snell 2015 rated. Hornet-ADV is not. It is only rated as JIS standard.

If you are really interested, it is JIST8133:2015 (the latest version. The previous version is
    JIS T 8133:2007), look at the link below.

http://bike.hokahoka.net/ヘルメットのjis規格

Yes, it’s written in Japanese, but you can look at the pictures, get rough idea of what kind of test they do.
    To put it very roughly, the test procedure is similar to Snell, but the standard is set at lower level.

Also, you can tell they are internally totally different by their weight.
    In size L, X2 (NA-model) is 1814 grams, whereas ADV (J-model) is 1664 grams.
    150 gram (5.3 oz.) difference.

#3 about Arai, SHOEI's personal fitting service.

They have been doing that service very successfully over a decade (in Japan), and it's not happening in US.
    And it probably won't happen (sadly).

The reason being that their fitting service is heavily relying on "communication" between the tech (who does the fitting / foam(sponge) work) and the customer.
    It's not easy to train the stuff here in US. (Also, it is probably too time consuming and not cost efficient for SHOEI North America.)
  4. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be in Tokyo in the middle of July 2019 for 3 weeks. Sometime during the trip, I will try the Shoei NeoTec II for fitment. If it feels good, I’ll take advantage of the PFS to fine tune the fit.

Shoei USA does offer PFS at their corporate office in California as well as sanctioned events. PFS is a free service in the USA.

In Japan, there’s a fee for PFS.

It’s going to take me time to read and understand your technical replay. It’s GREAT information!

Thank you!
  5. S21FOLGORE

Oddometer:
    Actually, in Japan, it (Personal Fitting System) is free,
    IF you buy the helmet from "Certified" dealer.

What it means is that, if you buy SHOEI / Arai helmet online (including Amazon)(with huge discount), then bring the helmet for fitting, they will charge you.
    If you go to their certified store (they are also called "technical service shop"), and buy the helmet from them (with nearly full retail price)
    they will do it for free.

(Compare to the level of service they do in Japan, what SHOEI North America offers is pretty much nothing.
    You have to go to either Tustin, CA, or some sort of racing / motorcycle show event.
    In, Japan, all you need is 1/2 day of free time. (you can find the technical service shop within an hour to hour and a half from your location, anywhere in Japan.)
    It's like you can go to any Cycle Gear store near you, and there's technical stuff waiting to measure your head and fine tune the fit
    when you purchase the helmet.)

You said you'll be in Tokyo, so there are 6 places that you can get the fitting service. (Remember, you'd have to buy the helmet from the store. Also, keep in mind, the store may or may not have the particular size/color/ graphic combination you want.)
    Look at the map, check their location, and make a plan which store you want to go.

Minami Osawa Ni-Rin Kan
    https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place...a675f2ec156cf0de!8m2!3d35.624925!4d139.377981

Fuchu Ni-Rin Kan
    https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place...8bc674e5858bb131!8m2!3d35.669938!4d139.504361

Ricoland Tokyo Bay
    https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place...13b9a894d2bdb8!8m2!3d35.6423503!4d139.8044844

Naps Adachi
    https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place...35536a23f169633!8m2!3d35.774618!4d139.8254479

Naps Mitaka TouHachi
    https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place...35536a23f169633!8m2!3d35.774618!4d139.8254479

Naps Nerima
    https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place...0x35598ca39352f5df!8m2!3d35.7553!4d139.603503

Naps

Ricoland
  6. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    I can

I am a round(ish) oval i.e. the old Expensive Head.

The JDM Neotech II was too round for me and I got a good deal of front/back pressure with a helmet that otherwise fit. The US version is bang on for me (I have tried both, I live in Japan and was recently in the States for work)

So Schubert, Arai, and to a lesser extent Bell fit me well, guess what is in my helmet rack.

I know with Arai there is a breakdown of the differences in the EPS foam between DOT, ECE and JIS standards....a JDM Shoei may have the same.

In Japan if you buy a helmet (Shoei or Arai) at a Pro-shop the fitting is free. Both my (Arai) and my Wife's (Shoei) received such treatment.

...and no you don't need to speak Japanese.....I don't and I got my RX-7X (Corsair X) bang on.
  7. Tripped1

Oddometer:

Ricoland and NAPS are pretty huge they will have most of the current stock on hand...with NAPS in particular go to another store, there is another in Sachuiria, near Yokohama that isn't a terrible train ride away either
  8. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve been to NAPS but will visit Ricoland on this trip.

Which chain is bigger?
  9. Tripped1

Oddometer:

NAPS.
  10. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just went to Ricoland in Tokyo Bay and had an excellent experience. Picked up a Shoei Neotec 2 with a custom fitting. Excellent customer service. Highly recommend making the trip to this shop.

If you have anything but a 'round' or 'round oval' head, you'll need a fitting. The Japanese helmets are sold with a rounder base shape than in the US (and I assume EUR as well).

Pricing is good at Ricoland though better at some of the shops in Ueno but a much better overall experience at Ricoland, by far.
    byee and Tripped1 like this.
  11. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which style/color Shoei Neotec 2 did you purchase??

I pre-ordered & bought the Shoei Neotec 2 Excursion Matt black/grey in XL from NAPS when I was in Tokyo July 2020.

I decided to do the pre-order 2 months before arriving in Tokyo. I was advised the Neotec 2’s were difficult to get and keep in stock.

My PFS took about 1 to 1-1/2 hours to complete. The technical PFS fitter couldn’t understand or speak a word of English. The conversation for the entire process was done thru google translate. Nothing but GREAT comments for the entire process. Extremely knowledgeable as well.....she does not ride a motorbike.

I paid approximately $640USD for the helmet by taking advantage of the tax free program. Did you take advantage of the tax free option since you visitor?

Did Ricoland have a large selection of the Neotec 2’s?
  12. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got the Splicer model and bought it from Rabee. After wearing it for a while I thought it wasn’t going to be a good fit but Rabee wouldn’t do anything for me (there are no refunds on tax fee purchases).

I ended up going to Ricoland where I thought I’d buy a fitted one and sell the first when I got back to the States but the fitter there was a great guy (some English) and helped me out. It wasn’t a 1 1/2 hour fitting tho. He probably was not supposed to do that for me, but like I said, a good guy. Measured and fitted with Shoei fitting pads. I bought a nice Shoei helmet bag from them to show some appreciation.

Both Rabee and Ricoland seemed to have a good supply of Neotec 2s. Rabee had a great price - maybe $525 after tax rebate - almost a $300 savings. Ricoland was about $50 more on average. I knew the Japan models were for a rounder head shape, but thought I could get to a good fit and the price does spin one’s head a bit

I’ve ridden in it for a few hundred miles now and it’s very comfortable. I also added the Sena SRL (of course) decent sound (not great) and happy so far.