1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

JAWA 350 Rust to Riches

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by spokester, Feb 19, 2016.

1. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    The riches, in this case, are mainly psychological. If you're looking for a concourse restoration you might want to skip this story. I just wanted to get this block of rust running so I could ride it. Also, to save it from further decay. Any sizeable expenditure was out of the question on this project.

Donated to me by a friend, this 1960s JAWA 350cc was retrieved from a metal scrap yard.
    It literally took months of soaking and heating to eventually free the cylinders, note smoke in photo! Luckily I just happened to have this super-awesome CZ crankcase splitter which was a dead fit on the JAWA.

JAWA 005.jpg JAWA 006.jpg JAWA 007.jpg JAWA 010.jpg Germany 2010 069.jpg
  2. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    BARN BIKE II 020.jpg BARN BIKE II 027.jpg BARN BIKE II 032.jpg BARN BIKE II 033.jpg BARN BIKE II 016.jpg
    Going back together with cleaned up parts. A few new seals, gaskets, bearings and some new oversize piston rings that had to be end-gap filed to fit the standard bore. Yeah...I know! The rims were solid blocks of rust, so I scoured them down with a wire wheel in a die grinder and spray painted them silver :) Reused the 50 year old Barum tires. They remained unseated on the rim, I didn't think they could take the pressure to seat them since the canvas cords were visible through the cracks in the tread. Note unbelievably awesome Czechoslovakian baffle design for the top fork nut :) :) :)
    FJ_Kevin and miguelR like this.
  3. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    BARN BIKE II 036.jpg BARN BIKE II 049.jpg BARN BIKE II 050.jpg BARN BIKE II 082.jpg BARN BIKE II 111.jpg

So here's the project coming together. Note super amount of rust from the gas tank. Filler cap incorporated a clever cup to measure oil, equally rusty. A bit of bodgery with muriatic acid, tank coating, wire brush, sandblasting and the ever present can of silver spray paint... Kickstarter pedal and the gear shifter are the same pedal, you press it inward and swing it back to kick. Then it pops out to shift with. Pressing on the gear shift pedal automatically disengages the clutch for hands free shifting. I love the "power egg" style of the engine :)
    FJ_Kevin, miguelR and AustinJake like this.
  4. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    BARN BIKE II 128.jpg BARN BIKE II 125.jpg BARN BIKE II 140.jpg BARN BIKE II 144.jpg

Proud moment in a JAWA owner's life, a big fat crank up on some vintage (hoarded) 2-stroke oil at 16:1 ratio! Then a hack job on the chrome gas tank panels, more silver paint! I carefully retained the original red finish. It's sort of an industrial rust inhibiting coating, purportedly applied at the factory with a broom. Note black painted mufflers, a departure from my usual silver. Too impatient to let the tank coating dry, I rode it with the auxiliary fuel container.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    DSCN4080.JPG DSCN4082.JPG DSCN4085.JPG

Reaping the riches! It was incredibly rewarding to ride this one, the pulling power is fantastic. I'm a huge fan of "Power Egg" style engines :)
    It really brought back some fabulous memories of the 60s. :D
  6. Gort

Gort Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me Likestky!
    spokester likes this.
  7. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its a rewarding feeling to make people happy :clap
  8. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's some more rust for ya! GERMANY 2010 064.JPG Barn Bike & Jawa.jpg BARN BIKE II 030.jpg BARN BIKE II 035.jpg
  9. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is making me look out the window at mine which I think is a 1959 or 60 and wondering if I should kinda do the same thing as you.
    FJ_Kevin and spokester like this.
  10. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think a lot of people get overly hung up on fancy paint jobs and restorations when they could carry on without all of the fancy stuff.
    rightsideup, FJ_Kevin and Mobil1 like this.
  11. JRAM

JRAM sherpa

Oddometer:
    Nice to see another classic brought back to life! Thanks for sharing the pics and your inspiring work!
    spokester likes this.
  12. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic!!!!!!:clap:clap:clap
    spokester likes this.
  13. hoodellyhoo

hoodellyhoo Dummy

Oddometer:
    Great job! I'm about to undergo a similar resurrection on a Honda S65. All of the individual pieces are too heavily corroded for a "proper" restoration but it's a complete bike so why not just slap some of that silver paint on it and ride it!
    spokester likes this.
  14. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree, 100%!
  15. AtLarge

AtLarge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great job! Funky and cool at the same time.
    spokester likes this.
  16. jimroid

jimroid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great way to bring one back from the dead! That is a really neat bike complete with great action shots!
    spokester likes this.
  17. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  18. BertieBassett

BertieBassett RustRider

Oddometer:
    That's a great job! Here's my '64 250, waiting patiently to be resurrected....she's been off the road since 1970....... image.jpeg
    ealdous, FJ_Kevin and spokester like this.
  19. swarfie

swarfie Classic S/Car Racer

Oddometer:
    I've posted this elsewhere here but this looks like a likely spot to show it again. Mine was also pretty rusty and I also had to paint the chrome side panels on the fuel tank. Won 'Restoration of the Year' award at my local club when I finished it. Runs like it looks now.

Attached Files:

spokester and BertieBassett like this.
  20. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember this one, awesome Job!