JAWA 350 Rust to Riches

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by spokester, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Krantz

Krantz OMG aka WTF

Oddometer:
    Awesome job! Love those Jawas-got one myself, will finish mine hopefully soon- warm weather is on the way.
    Just one question- how do you know the year? The engine is older style, but t he tank and fenders look much later ,maybe early 70-s.
    spokester likes this.
  2. Krantz

Krantz OMG aka WTF

Oddometer:
    This is the one i'm talking about.

[​IMG]
  3. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's some of my authentic JAWA-CZ toolkit tools. They are very high quality TONA brand. Note clever little feeler gauges on the ignition wrench and pear shaped reversible screwdriver. Anyone know if or what pliers I may be missing? Love the nesting sockets! DSCN0255.JPG
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  4. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine was stamped "196?", they left the last digit blank so you could fill in the year model! I guess you go more by "type" number.
  5. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    I revisited the JAWA now that I can see it again. It was behind the OSSA and PUCH. DSCN1338.JPG

Leaking oil out of the speedo drive on the bottom of the engine. DSCN1339.JPG
  6. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got one of these in the boneyard, and a pretty complete toolkit.
    FJ_Kevin and spokester like this.
  7. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those tools are very high quality! Hope you're recovery's coming along well.
  8. enfielddnepr

enfielddnepr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your model is a California! It is well-sought for in NW-europe!
    I have 2, almost 3 (project 360)
    I have a 1991 type 638 which gives me already many years very reliable service after some small alterations, and a 1967 type 559, bored out to 300cc, 28mm pwk and open air filter.. runs very smooth and quite fast!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pictures! Thanks!
  10. enfielddnepr

enfielddnepr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're welcome..
    the jawa 638 is an good everyday- bike, surpisingly maintanance-free. The fully enclosed chaincase is importtant in this.. and nood valves to set, it's Always good to go!
    BertieBassett and spokester like this.
  11. FJ_Kevin

FJ_Kevin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I loved this! Great bike and photos.

Boy, there are some really interesting bikes on here these days!
    spokester likes this.
  12. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Minidragon

Minidragon Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a great resurrection. You & bike still happy ?
    Bike looks great having in mind method and budgetwise,I like your approach. How on earth would you (could you) spend weeks & months trying to get pistons release from cylinders ? After a week or so I'd probably use some heavy duty tools to fix that obstacle. Were you confident you were gonna make it before you even knew it was gonna take that long time ? Patient man !
    Didnt quite get the oversized rings on standard bore pistons ? Looks like the cylinders were bored,or just honed ? And the rims turned out very good too,primer coat underneath the silver paint ?
    Is that a steering damper handle in center of the top triple clamp ? Scotts damper ; )
    What about electricity,what did you do there,upgrades ? Parts was easy to get ?
    spokester likes this.
  14. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your interest, Minidragon. Because the bike was free and didn't have a title I didn't want to get too much money wrapped up in it at the moment. It isn't really street legal so I don't actually drive it much. I may get a Vermont tag for it at some point, then it would need a little more fixing up. Parts are scarce here in the US, but easily available in Europe. JAWAs are pretty highly valued there.

The cylinder bores and pistons are still the standard, though worn, size. You can file down the end gaps of some oversize rings to restore some of the fit although it's not perfect. Yes, that's a steering damper. Yes, rims spray painted. Original tires. Incredibly, it ran off of the minuscule 6V battery from my Honda CL 70. But now I could put the 6V battery from my PUCH into it for a substantial upgrade.

But for now it just sits in my collection beneath a Czech flag as eye candy. I will try to find a picture of the original battery.
  15. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool seeing this thread pop up again. I forgot about it. I raced this twin pipe Jawa back in December. I think its a Type 577 and is the only one in the states from what I was told. A different bike but cool bike to race.

[​IMG]
  16. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude, that's waaay cool!
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  17. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a better pic of the bike. It does have CZ forks and wheels installed on it. It turns like a battleship. LOL.
    [​IMG]
    BertieBassett, FJ_Kevin and spokester like this.
  18. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Proof positive that the basic "Power Egg" concept has never been improved on!
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  19. Minidragon

Minidragon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your postings.
    That makes sense to go ea$y at fir$t..
    The rides that dont have permition to do so,feels good once you take it for a ride..i can imagine. Whats a Vermont tag ?
    So even for your model its quite easy to get parts,thats great. Imagine they still 'bother' to make parts..maybe not left with any other alternatives. Ive been bored with bikes i cant get parts for,Honda is one for general. But isnt it cool,one can choose from HD parts catalog and you get almost anything you'd like,same goes for the old UK bikes,parts much availible...and dont forget...Jawa too lol,still have alot for their old/new line ups..but then again much same/Simula parts with small variations from model to model,genius move imo,safe.
    Jawa is pretty high valued in Europe ? Not my understanding,rather the opposite actually..but your model though,that might hold a very different story to it.
    Aha now i got ya as for the filing down on oversize piston rings,thanks for tip.
    Hehe that steering damper..It works ok ? Original tires,amazing. Well it got a honorable place to rest with the flag as proud evidence. See if you find pic with battery, other pics as well . Thanks
    spokester likes this.
  20. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry it took a while. Vermont is a US state that makes it easy(ier) to get paperwork for an older, smaller motorcycle. In the US this can be a real problem. Here's the original battery, probably a PAL brand. Vent tube arrangement puts the "Z" in Czech :rofl DSCN7266.JPG DSCN7267.JPG DSCN7268.JPG
    BertieBassett likes this.