Jebus, help me! I'm looking at a V-strom

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by AnAverageExplorer, Oct 5, 2021.

1. AnAverageExplorer

AnAverageExplorer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    After many years of riding and owning things ranging from Ducati to Honda...I found myself looking at 650 V-strom last night :rofl

I kind of just want a bike to chill out on. I've done sport bikes, I've done full enduro bikes. But I'm tired, and stresssed out at work, and I just kind of want to ride without thinking about it.

Please, talk me out of this!
  2. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Alex

Oddometer:
    Can't do it mate. Vstroms are awesome bikes.

(of course I'm biased.) :imaposer

My 2014 1000:
    IMG-7085.JPG

and my new 2020 1050:
    IMG-8005.jpg
    CCitis, Bucho, Bigger Al and 8 others like this.
  3. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are quite the helpy helper, much like Brandy one of my chooks that approves of any and all activity involving spades, shovels, crowbars, even rakes motivate her to encourage participation :-)
  4. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    65230916363__F6E4D4A8-0B9F-4FEE-92BF-93FC98ABCB1D.jpg

Pic of my chooks as it didn’t happen otherwise
    :-)
  5. lefty80883

lefty80883 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Put 102,000 on my ‘07 650 before I traded it off 5 years ago. Only thing that ever broke was one of the two taillight bulbs. Recently met the guy who bought it and he said it was the best bike he ever owned. Don’t really miss it but it never let me down.
    squonker, SilentRay, T-34 and 7 others like this.
  6. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are a hammer, useful.
    reasonable and Sal Pairadice like this.
  7. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Therapy is available. You needn't suffer from depression forever! ;)
  8. FlyingLo

FlyingLo FlyingLo

Oddometer:
    I love my 2017 We-strom! When people ask what it is, I say "It's my poor mans BMW" I've come to realize it's actually a "wiseman's BMW". Its solid on both the backroads and the highways. I do all my own maintenance work and I've not had a single mechanical or electrical issue after 30k (80% gravel). I only ride one up but can load it with as much luggage as I wish to carry and it still rides the same. Like all heavy adventure bikes, you don't want to find yourself trapped underneath it so I avoid off road unless with a group.

Attached Files:

9. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you actually intending to help, if so where do your intentions lie?
  10. KMM696

KMM696 Devout Agnostic

Oddometer:
    I'm not going to talk you out of it, either. V-strom 650 is the bike I should have bought instead of a V-strom 1000. It's on the tall side, if that makes a difference. In 30k of riding, I replaced one of the headlight connectors for corrosion, and wear items. It does a lot of things well, but doesn't really shine in any one spot. I'd buy another, but the 650 this time.
  11. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Everybody should have a Vstrom 650. Unless you are extraordinarily short-legged, it is perfect for just about any street or moderate ADV-type activity. They are cheap to buy and run, extraordinarily reliable and remarkably competent. My old beater/loaner had no problem keeping up with a group of 1000cc+ ADV bikes, blasting across W. Texas into a strong headwind. That sort of thing does affect the normally excellent fuel consumption and range but it's not exactly a huge deal. I've seen Vstroms at Deadhorse and their owners never had a complaint about the challenges of the roads. I've also been on several vacations where Vstroms were rented and had no complaints whatsoever, including one trip where we did an Iron Butt ride in the rain. If I own another one (which is possible at some point) I'll try to add a cruise control.
  12. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    As reliable as a stone axe. Just amazing bikes. Mine is old and wizened and it has developed a nice grumbly tough yet mellow character.
  13. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe find a VX800 and pot 70/30 tires on it....

Then you'll know you've really lost the plot.

The VX is rare but inexpensive
    You will find yourself at 95 for no reason, often
  14. baekdongmul

baekdongmul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do it, they're about the easiest to live with ujm ever made
    T-34 and Tmaximusv like this.
  15. pilotspike

pilotspike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TBH, what you describe is 80% of what I do on my Multi 950s. At the end of a stressful work day I hop on it and do 60 miles of back country roads, through farmlands, visiting with my friends (cows). You dont need a VStrom to do that. Though, I would imagine the strom is seriously good for it.

J
  16. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Separated at birth

Oddometer:
    My life list of bikes is under 12, but includes BMW airhead, Honda CX, HD, GS, Star, PC800.

DL 1000 Strom (02) handles better than any bike I have ever operated, runs well, and can be serviced easily, unlike many of the other bikes in my life.
    72 Yamaha RD350 and Versatek6 like this.
  17. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember the good old days at Advrider. Rumors were swirling about Suzuki using the SV650 engine for an adventure bike. Everyone was all atwitter with ideas of a real "unicorn" of an adventure bike. That 650 twin was a jewel and with the right running gear, what a great bike it could be. Then the debut of the Wee-strom. What the hell is this thing? Cheap suspension (who uses damping rod forks anymore), cheap brakes. Totally uninspiring. Practically everyone was dismayed, and then what does Suzuki do over the years? Slight updates with the same crappy running gear, and people keep buying. Why should Suzuki bother building a proper adv bike with that engine when they keep selling them as is. Sure it is as reliable as a hammer, but for what this bike could have been is just an insult to the adv buying public. Just say no to mediocrity.
    Mrstig and Baroquenride like this.
  18. cmayer

cmayer n00b

Oddometer:
    About a month ago I went to look at a low mileage DL650 for a good price at my local dealer. I hadn't been on a bike in a number of years having sold my street, dualsport, and dirt bikes when my kids were younger, but decided I wanted to be on two wheels again. The Vstrom was everything I needed for a 100 mile commute with adventuring and some two up on the weekends. I couldn't find a single fault in the bike for my specific needs; simple, low maintenance, practical...

Must say I've had a smile on my face and have ridden every day since on my slightly used 2021 Triumph Tiger 900! I went back and forth between the two bikes a lot. The brain and wallet said Vstrom but the heart and wife, said get what will make you smile every time. I may not know when it'll have issues and end up in the dealership vs something reliable like the Vstrom, but it sure puts a smile on my face when I head out each morning. I'd honestly be happy with the Vstrom but there was just that something extra that sang to me when I was on the Tiger at the dealership.
  19. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Web Slinger

Oddometer:
    I personally find it a fun bike to ride. The PO before me put risers in and I set the bike back to the stock rear shock height. Mine also came with the fork brace already installed. Adding in a Terry Adcox seat made this a keeper for me. It does an excellent job on the road. It does the job off the road, bless its heart, about as well as you'd expect for a near 500 lbs bike. I lacked the skill to keep up with the true dual sport bikes last time out, but those of us on the mid weight ADV (T7, Africa Twin, DL650) did fine. I switched out the stock hand wind guards with some bark buster storms last week and that even fixed a bit of wind buffeting.

View attachment 3227512
    AnAverageExplorer likes this.
  20. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, if there is a catch, the V-Strom is rather boring, especially when ridden at legal speeds.Mine is a good work horse but uninspiring most of the time.