Jebus, help me! I'm looking at a V-strom

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by AnAverageExplorer, Oct 5, 2021.

1. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Manufacturers have been copying others designs and technology since forever, the Japanese copied everthing. Human rights, many countries including the so called democracies are guilty of abuses. Wouldn't want to live in the Philippines where people are killed with the blessing of Duterte
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  2. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which country bombed Pearl Harbour?
    You keep repeating your personal bias bs, please stop.
    RowBust likes this.
  3. T-34

T-34 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    80 plus years ago isn't the same thing as yesterday.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  4. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So in 80 plus years you will be singing the praises of Chinese manufacturing?
    Seriously just talk about bikes on their merit.
    Bors likes this.
  5. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is a KTM engine that CF build for KTM as a fully licensed arrangement, mostly more comfortable.
  6. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's 3kg lighter than a DL1000, same power. KTM based engine.

Think about that a while - I also had a look as well but even if the DL 1000 is less power/cc it may still the better buy.

No issues with CFMoto, KTM though, I have serious reservations there.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  7. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Horses for courses as they say :-)
  8. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I buy and sell bikes and bought my 04 650 thinking I'd own it for a year then sell it. I've owned it over 3 years now and while it's one of the most boring bikes I've ever owned, it's the bike I enjoy going out and exploring on. Like another poster said, it inspires and allows me to go down roads I'd normally pass by. The one caveat to the VStrom is the stormtroopers forum is no different than a KLR forum, just a different version...sigh.
  9. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    I had the DL1000. Boring as whale shit but reliable as an anvil. If the OP wants to 'chill out' this may be the bike for him.

One reviewer recently termed the 1050XT 'unengaging.' I understood exactly what he meant. Also, the Suzuki luggage is rubbish. Probably lots of aftermarket available now.

Edit:
    I found it.

Watch from about 8:00 on

DesertPilot likes this.
  10. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Boring as whale shit? How can that possibly be a thing? It's difficult to imagine many circumstances in which someone could come across a heap (clump? pile? pool? blob? what does the stuff even look like?) of whale shit and think, "Boring." :D
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  11. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    V-Strom... Hmm. As the 2013-only parts supply for my CB1100 is dwindling, I've been thinking of taking that bike out of daily commuter status and keeping it nice. Just need a mule to lug my stuff to the office, and maybe a V-Strom is a bike I should be looking at. I had been thinking NC700X, but don't really want a DCT, which tends to come up most often for sale.
  12. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    For the old V-Strom anyway, the valve adjustment was a real drag. Otherwise, so very little to do and very few failures. It was a perfect bike for the application you mention.

Beware the 'yes but the valves hardly ever move so you don't need to worry' line of hogshyte you may hear. ADVrider axiom #6 is this: the more difficult it is to check or adjust valves, the more you will hear the owner profess the fact they do not need to be checked or adjusted. This allows them to feel good about not checking or adjusting valves. Mine did need adjustment once in the 36,000 miles I owned it. I traded it to a fellow who wanted a commuter. It was a solid bike for that. I had an R1150 GS at the same time and let the Strom pile up commuting miles. I believe he was satisfied.
  13. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's why the CB1100 never needs a valve inspection. Way hard.
    RedEX and Schlug like this.
  14. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I would love to find some as it about 30 times more valuable than silver.
    Ambergris is its name :-)
  15. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    I re-entered riding on a VStrom 650. Rode it almost one full season before selling it. Farkled it to fit me. Engine guards and crash bars amplified the vibrations. I hate vibration. Otherwise it was an excellent bike, just not the most comfortable for me. Also determined that I don’t have any real opportunities, need, or desire to ride off pavement.

[BIL purchased a new DL1000 in 2018. I think he still has it.]

The VStrom I previously owned and farkled.

78A155F5-6680-4DA3-90B1-34A1BFCD9CE9.jpeg
    strommonster and KRedman like this.
  16. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    That could be Whale VOMIT not shit, no shit.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/what-is-ambergris.html

I don't buy the ruptured rectum theory
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  17. OnTheNaughtyStep

OnTheNaughtyStep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll chip in and say the same as everyone else! The 650 'Strom is a reliable workhorse but has a boring uninspiring engine. It's a shame the Tracer 700 isn't available in the US - a much more enjoyable bike to ride and another good all-rounder. If I wasn't such a power-tart I'd go for something like a Guzzi V85TT - if you can put up with potentially slightly sketchy reliability - but I suppose you already have one Italian bike. The Thaiumph T120 range are lovely things to ride.
  18. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Often called vomit, but all we do know is that it is from the intestines.
    Ruptured rectum is also bs to me. I read in other articles that it is actually soft inside the whale and becomes hardened when floating.
  19. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    I could go write a check for anything I want. Yet I’m on my second 650. Hilarious, huh? Simple, inexpensive, and built like an anvil appeals to me. If you find a V-Strom boring and uninspiring then you’re doing it wrong. Better have a talk with your right wrist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    RedEX, tjzondrz, Rollin' and 2 others like this.
  20. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is some truth to that. I think when its ridden hard the Strom comes into its own. Suzuki took a race bike engine and detuned it. I think the charecter of the Strom is intentional; the Japanese like to make a docile bike that can go. The Brits and Italians make bikes that excite you in normal legal speed riding.

I was riding my Strom Friday afternoon with wifey on the back. I didn't care at all that it was less inspired. It was doing everything well. Also, we tend to prefer what we ride the most. Right now I have been on the Strom so much it feels perfect. When I ride my Bonneville more then it seems ideal and the Strom seems frumpy. Also, the tall engine means the bike has both a high seat and low ground clearance and takes a little getting used to cornering.

So, in the end the criticism is real and valid, but the bike is still sooo good that shouldn't stop you from buying one. I never regretted buying mine. I would recommend the 1000; you will never regret the extra muscle. There is a nice laziness to having so much power you can just twist your wrist and go fast with no effort.
    Bors and Bultaco206 like this.