Jebus, help me! I'm looking at a V-strom

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by AnAverageExplorer, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Clambucket

Clambucket It’s gotta work!! Right? Maybe? Uh-oh...

Oddometer:
    I can’t help but to butt in on this topic. I bought a 14’ 1000 Vstrom this past May. Only had 9K. on it, PO had a stroke.
    I’ve owned 11 bikes and still have BMW and Honda, and find that the DL is just the ticket for my type of riding.
    Plenty of power, ergos that fit me well, handles and carves corners surprisingly well too. We have many dirt roads, 2
    tracks, in Northern Michigan and the DL does them all with no problem. Boring? A bit “agricultural” as Ryan (FortNine)
    says, but it’s all in how you ride, I guess. At this point in my riding life, it’s a smile inducing companion. Best of luck!

Attached Files:

klaviator, Bors and T-34 like this.
  2. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I found my Gen1 Strom to be deceptively quick. That little engine is like a turbine and just builds speed without feeling like it really should be shifted to a higher gear. There were several occasions on back roads where I found myself going 15mph FASTER than I would have done on my KTM 1290.
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  3. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was going to buy a V-Strom 650. Honest! Really I was! But every time I found a nice used one, it was gone before I had a chance to check it out. Then I kept finding Tiger 800s for sale, so I thought, "Heck, what's an extra cylinder?" After five years of Tiger ownership, I decided it was time to get a new bike, so I started looking for a V-Strom again,,,

...and...

...well...

...I'm getting closer. At least I got a v-twin this time :D

x20r60.IMG_4299.jpg
    Don03st, cmayer, T-34 and 2 others like this.
  4. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aside from a multitude of Japanese bikes, my garage has been home to 5 Ducatis, 7 BMWs, 5 Triumphs and 3 KTMs. When I wanted a bike to travel the country on once I retire, first thing I thought of was another Vstrom. Picked up a leftover and I’m ready to go. Boring? I hear that a lot. Sure, it doesn’t emanate sex appeal like my Ducati Supersport did, or have the adrenaline rush of the Super Duke, but I’ve never owned a boring bike, because I’ve never had a boring ride.
    r60man, klaviator, cmayer and 3 others like this.
  5. pilotspike

pilotspike Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Exactly what is being done wrong such that the bike should be inspiring us?

J
    T-34 likes this.
  6. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    You’ll have to ask yourself that. I’ve yet to ride a boring motorcycle.
    klaviator and T-34 like this.
  7. pilotspike

Oddometer:
    I don't need to ask myself that as it was you that made the claim in a very objective manner. I know why the bike is uninspiring to me, yet you tell me that i am doing it wrong. So, what pray tell, am I doing wrong?

J
  8. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like my 2012 vstrom, it just keep rolling along. It overheated once and a weld on the crash bar broke on the last trip. That’s it. Ride it hard and it’s pretty fun, but I mostly just like cruising around.
    RedEX and T-34 like this.
  9. AnAverageExplorer

AnAverageExplorer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those bikes definitely look the part! I've thought several times about a Guzzi, but the closest dealer is WAY too far away!
  10. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Guzzis are easy for the average wrench-twirler to work on at home. Even if you aren't a home mechanic, if you have a bike that is out of warranty, the dealer offers no real advantage over a competent local independent. Check around and see if there might be someone near you. As a fairly new Stelvio owner, I can attest that Guzzis are more enjoyable to ride than their specifications might suggest.
    DesertPilot, T-34 and Sal Pairadice like this.
  11. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    Maybe not revving it out?

IMO, the 650 V-twin is very tractable down low and really kicks up its heels once you hit 6k rpm, the rush of power to redline is very enjoyable.

The 1,000 not so much, it's a grumpy/grumbly engine below 3k rpm (which is where you do most of your round town riding) and there isn't the same binary low end vs. top end action you get on the 650.
  12. pilotspike

Oddometer:

To be fair, my form of uninspiring happens well before throwing a leg over it. There isn't anything there that inspires me to want to ride it. For me I really believe that a large part of it is Suzuki's laziness towards its advancement. I find it difficult to get excited about riding or buying a new 1990's motorcycle.

J
    Baroquenride likes this.
  13. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    There's your problem! For those of us more accustomed to buying and riding used bikes, not having the latest/greatest does not equate to lack of inspiration :lol3

In fairness, the KTM 1290 I purchased brand new was (and remains) a thrilling ride - but tempered by the knowledge that it cost about the same as the 30 or 40 bikes that preceded it, all combined.
    klaviator likes this.
  14. pilotspike

Oddometer:
    I dont know if I would admit that its a problem, per 'se. Just different strokes for different folks. I acknowledge that they have put together a phenomenal example of what they were striving for.

One of the biggest things I tend to get hung up on is the lack of modern capabilities and safety systems. Maybe its from my background flying planes, but I really struggle to find reasons why any manufacturer would sell new roadgoing motorcycles without the latest capabilities. I cant find a reason why I would want to buy a new motorcycle without an IMU for traction control and lean sensitive ABS when there are 50 others that have that? From a risk perspective, I struggle to understand that.

There are some other drivers for me, which are things like not buying a new bike that needs suspension immediately, etc. I dunno. Maybe Im just a snob.

To be truthful, before I bought my Multi, the first bike I reallt looked into was the Strom. I was very enthusiastic about the engine which was exactly what i wanted, a reliable v twin with character. I was just disappointed in the motorcycle that it was wrapped in.

Oh well.

J
  15. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Alex

Oddometer:
    The 1050xt has many of the features you mentioned and others. No dog in this fight, just figured I'd mention it, since those things matter to me as well and helped me decide to buy the new Vstrom and trade in my 2014.
    https://suzukicycles.com/adventure/2020/v-strom-1050xt#features
    pilotspike likes this.
  16. pilotspike

Oddometer:
    Very Fair point. I had been thinking of the 650 primarily as that had been what I was shopping at the time.

The 1050, to my mind, has priced itself into some very serious competition. Its a much improved VSTROM though, and an attractive bike too. I dont think I would call that one uninspiring.

J
    AdventureTrail likes this.
  17. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Alex

Oddometer:
    If Suzuki made the same bike with the same styling but in a 650, that's the bike I would have bought. It's a shame they didn't. Still, I love the 1050xt and I commute on it every day. I think you're right on with the pricing comment. There were many strong contenders when I was bike shopping.
  18. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    For example, my Bonneville is geared for accelerating on back roads and the tank and frame size is ideal for levering it over in a turn with my knee. Its keen to find really cool line through a turn and steers very light an quick. The Strom is similar, but its more top heavy and slower to turn but has more forward thrust once you see the exit. Without riding the triumph I would think the Strom is perfect.

[​IMG]
  19. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    The new DL1050's have an IMU. (Just FYI)

I can answer that, you won't believe me :), but I can answer that.

I have a bike with ABS and TC but not an IMU. I found I was faster than most modern bikes with far more paper power on the tight roads around here, finally worked out why. They all come with IMU's and it's killing drive out of the corners - admitted that's where my bike is strong but even very similar bikes with 60HP more had that problem. I wouldn't rate myself as a great rider either.
  20. pilotspike

Oddometer:
    So, to make sure i understand, you are saying that your bike without IMU is faster than a bike with IMU and 60 more HP?
    AdventureTrail likes this.