Jebus, help me! I'm looking at a V-strom

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by AnAverageExplorer, Oct 5, 2021.

1. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    :jack
    AdventureTrail likes this.
  2. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not faster, comes out of corners faster. I start putting the power down once I can see the exit, even if I'm still leaned over.
    I mean I KNOW a DL1000 is a lot slower in a straight line than a CBR1000RR or a KTM 1290 and certainly doesn't have the acceleration of the KTM so they should have passed me on corner exits just on acceleration.

The roads I found that on had short straights, I was probably going into the corners a bit slow for the sports bikes but gaining so much distance and speed on corner exit that the others couldn't get a clear shot at a pass before the next corner. Puzzled me as well, then I realized that most of the bikes chasing me were a lot newer and had IMU's.

I wasn't the fastest bike that day either, the fastest was a Triumph Explorer - he was doing me with sheer speed through the corners, I wasn't brave enough to copy him, storms the night before and the road is prone to having rocks or trees across it.

Personally I'd suggest checking that one out on a track not on public roads.
  3. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    I'd put that down more to some combination of ballsiness, risk tolerance or skill. While I certainly CAN just crank the throttle on my KTM and blast out of a corner with the traction control light flashing, I pretty much never do. Despite the fact that I appreciate the safety margin provided by the electronics, I don't ever rely on it and suspect the same applies to most others.
    AdventureTrail likes this.
  4. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are way too many nuances and variables for this conversation to go anywhere good, especially once the internet nannies come running in to tell everyone how bad it is to ride fast.

Many many years ago when I was a teenager just learning to ride my next door neighbor was a factory sponsored Honda racer. He told me that on the street once you get to 1000 cc 100 HP bike --the bike no longer matters, its all about which rider is faster and takes more risk. I've thought about his comment all these years, and it has held up.

I'd like another 50 hp and that's a good reason to buy a more expensive bike. I would just enjoy all that power but I doubt it would make me much faster.
  5. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    That would be a fascinating thing for Ryan F9 or some other smart youtuber to test. I suspect its as much the "..ride a slow bike fast" phenomenon.
  6. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Point I'm making here is that I do ride now and then with some very fast guys, ex-racers - sometimes they have older bikes than I do (Bikes like RS250's for example) - mostly they are kind enough to wait for me to catch up :). I realize the skill thing and seriously I know I'm not good enough to keep ahead of even a moderately skilled rider on a faster more modern bike.

"While I certainly CAN just crank the throttle on my KTM and blast out of a corner with the traction control light flashing"

Which is the point, the modern bikes with IMU's appear to be killing corner exit speed. My bike also has TC but it lacks the IMU, I'm also not pushing it so hard that TC activating through the corners and I'm getting a lot more acceleration than the more modern bikes.

And don't misunderstand, I like TC and ABS, they've saved my arse enough times now that I wouldn't willingly give them up either but someone asked what was the downside ?. I suspect I found one. I also pointed out then that I didn't expect to be believed :).
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  7. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    I can assure you, if I give it full beans on the corner exit, the light might flash but I will be haulin' ass and if I'm in sport mode, leaving a streak of rubber behind. You would not believe how quick that is - a lot faster than I want to go most of the time.
  8. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a 09 wee. Sold it two months after I bought it. It was the most gutless bike I've ever ridden.
  9. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Magazine article about the boring and gutless V Strom. Modesty prevents me from naming the rider
    c18493d33cc237b3429e49059b578158.0.jpg
  10. pilotspike

pilotspike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Correlation is not causation.

Could it be that the people who you ride with who have purchased bikes with such capabilities may have different risk tolerance levels than you? That might be a logical consideration.

J
  11. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    I spent 5 glorious hours on my 1000 in the catskill mountains today.

Mine is a bit of a curiosity by now as she is an orginal 2002 thats never been worked on beyond very minimal basic maintenance, and with 80,000 pretty hard miles on her clock she runs like brand new. Don't ask me why. The one time I took the bike in to a shop ( for a tire change) the mechanics said " These damn bikes just go forever."
    Versatek6 and klaviator like this.
  12. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could well be, but I know I wasn't doing it on sheer rider skill in my case (notoriously cautious) and I know my bike is well down on power compared to the bikes chasing me so it came down what else COULD it be. And I suspect IMU - that and the bikes being almost unridable by mortals without the electronics.

Note this isn't a dig at the guy who posted these:
    "While I certainly CAN just crank the throttle on my KTM and blast out of a corner with the traction control light flashing"

"if I give it full beans on the corner exit, the light might flash but I will be haulin' ass and if I'm in sport mode, leaving a streak of rubber behind."

You can, but in either of those circumstances you aren't accelerating as fast as you can. (Either TC light flashing, OR black streaks). MotoGP riders do that yes, but AFAIK that's because it's the only way to turn the bitch, not because it's faster exits.
  13. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    High siding is not conductive to exit speeds, just saying. So the KTMs in sport mode will leave a blackie for a good 30-40 yards when you are good and into it before the TC kicks in .....that is about all you are going to get out of it, the tire is already slipping.

Fun fact most tires' max traction is actually when its slipping "just" a little bit.

I can ride my KTM just fine with all of the electronics off, because I grew up riding silly stuff like that. My 2002 GSXR was 168rwhp NO electronics outside of the EFI.....lived with that, raced it for that matter. My 1290 is much the same, my usual electronics setting for goofing around is TC/MTC off ABS is SUMO so basically I only have front wheel ABS.
  14. jbar28

jbar28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had on '09 Wee for 11 years and 48K miles. It was the first modern bike I'd ever owned, and the only thing I rode for that entire time. Except one time I took my friend's Tiger 800 out for an hour. I hated it. Felt like it was on three shots of espresso, just jumpy and twitchy as all get out.

I ended up selling my Wee and have had two years off from riding. Two weeks ago I took the same 800 Tiger out for 2 hours and didn't want to bring it back. I loved it. What once seemed frantic now feels sporty and fast. This week sometimes the Tiger comes to live with me.

I think I'd become so used to the Wee that the 800 Tiger was just a shock to my system, it was so much quicker / faster / more responsive. But the Wee was more relaxing and it took me some wonderful places and always brought me home when I was ready. Hope I can say the same about the Tiger in 11 years.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  15. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems like women, sometimes the hot model types aren't near as fun as the women who seem to be so plain. Lot of the beauty isn't just skin deep and it shows in more ways than appearance. Kind of describes the V-Strom from what has been written.
    Sal Pairadice, RedEX and klaviator like this.
  16. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:

You are right. A lot of it is when switching bikes, you notice all the differences. You are acclimated to a certain bike. Thats why test rides often don't tell you much. I test rode my Strom before I bought it, and it operated normally but I really couldn't judge if I would like it or not. Now the Strom seems so normal to me.
  17. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Alex

Oddometer:
    I rode my 2014 Vstrom 1000 150 miles to trade in on my new 1050xt which I then rode 150 miles home. It was the perfect way to see the differences between the two, and it really sped up my bonding with the new bike.
  18. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:

What stood out to you as the difference? Mechanically, they are pretty much the same bike I think, but enhanced with new electronics package. I'd really like to hear that they fixed the buffeting problem.
  19. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Alex

Oddometer:
    In short, there were a couple things I really liked that probably are more subjective or quality of life improvements more than anything. Keep in mind, my frame of comparison is one literal bike to the other. There are 6 years of difference between them.
    -Everything felt smoother on the 1050, engine response, throttle, etc. (my 2014 had 20k miles on it for comparison, so this could have something to do with it.)
    -The 1050 "feels" quicker and lighter. This could be real or imagined.
    -Electronic cruise control, which I've never had on a bike. Now I don't think I could do without.
    -Well thought out charging ports and locations (one on the side of the dash, one under the seat.)
    -Nav bar for mounting GPS
    -Newer and better display (should have been a TFT though)
    -Newer and better headlight
    -IMU, lean-sensitive goodies, etc. Way overdue honestly.
    -Styling is awesome.

Basically (for me) it's like they took the simple, reliable, bike I loved and improved every thing that I would want improved. Felt like they just turned out a really refined version of a mature platform. As far as buffeting, can't help you there. I've never experienced anything that I would describe as an excessive or unexpected amount of buffeting on any motorcycle/helmet combination I've ever tried. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe it's just not something I notice or care about.

Again, just one guy's opinion. I commute on the bike daily. I've made some changes to better suit the bike to my wants/needs, but I'm quite happy with it.
  20. CCitis

CCitis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a 2014 650 for a year and a half from new. Put 12500 miles on it. Good bike, did everything pretty well. It did not stir the soul enough for my liking back then. At the time I was a one bike garage... and being a 3 bike garage now, in hindsight it would have made sense to keep it as the reliable turnkey bike, and get a classic (which I have become very fond of owning and working on). I found the bike comfortable, fast enough (70mph all day, shift down to pass), easy to get parts and accessories. Overall easy to live with. If I was to get one today to fill that everyday niche, I think I would get a 1000 though, for the extra bit of power and grunt.