Jebus, help me! I'm looking at a V-strom

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by AnAverageExplorer, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Wildpiper

Wildpiper Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you picked the wrong group to ask to be talked out of a bike. I haven't owned one, but have two close friends that have the 650 and the 1000 and love them. Very solid, low maintenance (if you do the correct maintenance).
  2. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you buy the V Strom yet?
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  3. Versatek6

Versatek6 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    V-Strom: You could do worse.

:brow
    Sal Pairadice and nostep like this.
  4. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:

Great post and so true.

The bike has outstanding quality and value where it really truly matters and - you make your own fun. I have the earliest model, a 1000 and I can easily afford to buy a brand new one; I wonder if I would do it. Maybe. I have my eyes set on a newer Goldwing. But the Strom has been one great dependable ride. What more do I really need?
    klaviator and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  5. Project84

Project84 I can haz adventure?

Oddometer:
    I bought my '14 Vstrom 1000 in June strictly because I didn't wanna ride all the way to MT from KY, so I found bike for sale en route and cut 900 miles off my ride across Flatistan. 100% intending to take my trip and promptly sell the bike when I returned the first week of July.

That was 10k miles ago. Yes, 10k miles in 3.5 months while working 5 days a week and only really having the weekends to ride. It carries it's weight down low so even though it tips the scale over 500# wet, it's INCREDIBLY nimble for such a beast. Way more so than my previous Tiger 1050 just not exactly as exhilarating but that's just the difference between a triple and a v-twin. I honestly think the ONLY thing missing from the Vstrom 1000 is a gearing change. Once I drop a tooth on the front or add a few to the rear, I think it'll be just right.

I'd still sell it any ol' day of the week, so IMHO, it's not a bike you'll fall in love with. It will, however, surprise you with just how nimble it feels, how quick it can be ridden through twisty stuff, and how comfortable it is at speed or while touring. It's just, IDK how to put it. Kinda plain.

If you end up owning a 2014+ there is one mod you cannot live without: GIVI AIR FLOW. Pick one up used for $80-100. Best investment for the bike/rider.
    Clambucket and Sal Pairadice like this.
  6. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It isn't my kind of ride, if it was I'd certainly look at one myself. I've read so many positive comments about the Wee Strom that it would be hard to pass up, although the new Yamaha could be a challenger... but I have a dual sport and a street bike and my riding separates to suit each. If I was to ride the AlCan highway it would be either a Wee Strom or a KLR. Just too much history saying how good they both are.
  7. Mister Fixit

Mister Fixit Think less, ride more

Oddometer:
    84494EFE-65E2-49A8-917F-6578B3A0EDDE.jpeg I bought my 2019 V-Strom 650 XT Touring last November when Suzuki was running incentives for leftover bikes. $7500 to put it on the trailer and when I got home another $300 in taxes and registration/title. My ‘14 CB500X felt a little small to me and I was tired of wrestling the ‘12 FJR around. So I love the ‘Strom way more than I thought I would. Sold both bikes, got the new one and put $2500 in the bank. My wife has never been more pleased with a motorcycle purchase. ;). It doesn’t need better suspension, more power, lean angle traction control, etc. for a normal rider doing normal riding. There are upgrade paths if you are the rider that really pushes that hard (or if you imagine you are) or there are other bikes. It’s not aimed at KTM’s market. If they made the bike to match KTM’s spec, they would have to put a KTM price on it and then people would be saying, “$xxxx for a Suzuki? Are you kidding me?” This is a near perfect bike for the market niche it occupies and if you shop the year end incentive sales, an almost unbelievable bargain. The stock seat is pretty good but I added a Sargent. Also factory heated grips, Guzzi mirrors and I have two windscreens. The stock screen is OK, but as a tall’ish person I change screens on almost everything. Every time I ride mine I have this strange feeling that I stole it. I put over 10,000 miles on it so far.
    RedEX, Sal Pairadice, runpet and 3 others like this.
  8. Scubawerx

Scubawerx Scubawerx

Oddometer:
    2014. 8k miles. This is my can-do bike. Very reliable and made to fit my 6'-4" frame. I recommend them, certainly.

Attached Files:

proeliator likes this.
  9. afm956

afm956 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    42,000 miles on a 2007 V-Strom 1000, checked the valves this week and absolutely perfect. Plus it has true dual exhausts so it won't constantly be pulling to the right like a Strom with only one exhaust can.
    RedEX likes this.
  10. Mister Fixit

Mister Fixit Think less, ride more

Oddometer:
    P.S. A riding friend has a Honda NC700X. By reputation this bike is so boring it makes a V-Strom seem exciting. He has well over 100,000 miles on it and has ridden it through 47 states including Alaska. I don’t think he was bored. If you’re an adrenalin junkie, you can get that from any bike ridden fast enough on the right kind of road. If it takes stupendous acceleration to get the rush, good luck getting on that train because you quickly get used to it and want more and more. Why there are turbo charged Hayabusa’s with nitrous bottles.
  11. shifterkey

shifterkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2009 wee. I used to like the ride but lately the suspension feels just god awful. Of course that may be because they made me start using a ride-on floor scrubber on perfectly smooth floors every day at work