Jeep "Gladiator"?!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Kommando, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why would Jeep name a Wrangler-based pickup "Gladiator" rather than "Scrambler"? The original Gladiator was a full-sized pickup, based on the FSJ Wagoneer and sharing some parts with it. If they wanted to name a new pickup "Gladiator" it should be a full-sized pickup, and probably based on the Grand Cherokee, IMO. The new convertible pickup is much more in line with the "Scrambler" name, IMO.

I also don't understand the people comparing it to the other mid-sized pickups and saying things like "It'll never sell.", and "This other pickup is JUST like it.".

Uhh...No. It's not. Nobody has sold a convertible 4WD pickup in this country since the Dakota. The new Jeep pickup is like the Wrangler, in that it's a niche vehicle.

The Samurai isn't offered here. Toyota messed up when they didn't offer a convertible FJ cruiser, or 4Runner. GM and Ford no longer offer convertible 4WDs either.

Now Jeep is going to be offering a crew cab, 4WD, convertible that can tow up to 7000lb+. With the coming Ecodiesel, one gives up a bit of capacity, but it'll probably get over 30MPG, and it won't be so humongous that it won't fit into the drive thru ATM like a Tundra...although I wish Jeep had offered pickup YJ/TJ versions like the CJ8 Scrambler here before making the Wrangler wider. Anyway...NOBODY else offers anything close to this niche. Why not? A convertible FJ or Bronco would probably sell. A convertible Tacoma or Ranger would probably sell...and as much as I've enjoyed my Jeeps, I also like Toyota's general engineering and build quality.
    Purcell69, XRHondafan and RustyStuff like this.
  2. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I still want one.
  3. XPADREX

XPADREX Funslinger Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would have snapped one up back in 2013 or 14.

Honestly, I preferred my shorter wheelbase JK for off roading, and my Ram is a better short bed pickup for the money.

Incidentally the price point of Wranglers period has gotten silly.
  4. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Because they could.
  5. jimroid

jimroid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jeep.com must be afraid to put the new Gladiator prices on their website. I have been waiting a long time for a worthy replacement to my Comanche. Loved that truck. (and the original battery lasted over 10 years.)
    Chillis likes this.
  6. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some people have been mentioning the Comanche as an alternative to the probably expensive new Gladiator. They've also said the same about the old J-truck Gladiator, but neither was offered as a crewcab convertible. Even the CJ8 was only a 2dr.
    phillyrube likes this.
  7. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also prefer the SWB of the YJ/TJ, as well as the simplicity, for offroading. It's nice to have the towing capacity and bed of a pickup though, and I'd be willing to sacrifice a bit of off-road capability for some more truck utility without the enormity of a full-size truck, especially if I can get it in a convertible crewcab 4WD configuration. I'm eager to see the MPG specs of the Ecodiesel Wranglers too.
  8. PK2

PK2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As soon as (or soon as possible) the Gladiator hits Oz with the v6 diesel in 2020, there'll be one in my driveway.
    JustKip likes this.
  9. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too long. Didn't read

OK, so I did read. Is it the unibody construction, or the identical to Wrangler track with that makes you think Grand Cherokee would make a better pickup? I'm calling bullshit either way. The Wrangler IS more of a truck than a Grand Cherokee, and isn't any smaller.
  10. larryboy

larryboy Super.

Oddometer:
    Back when trucks were 25k I said I'd buy a Jeep pickup, but at today's prices there is a zero chance of me buying one.
  11. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What you don't feel like spending 40+ thousand on a rig your going to go beat the shit out of in the desert?
    ohgood and larryboy like this.
  12. Fleece Johnson

Fleece Johnson Husky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Or that will be in the shop monthly.....
  13. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bingo, Guy here at work bought a brand new Challenger.....man those are good looking cars....but spends more time in the shop then in the driveway. He is wanting to trade it for a mustang but no one will give him much for it....I have not looked into resale.

The truck does look cool I will give them that.....and I bet is is going to start at around 30k with one you would want being in the mid to upper 40's.

I already have two Fiats not sure I need another.
  14. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm totally on the outside of this, looking in: my '08 2500 has never let me down through nearly ten years of oilfield & construction use.

This table is made of wood.
  15. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I want one, but I can't bring myself to spend $50k on any vehicle and by the time used ones get to half that...I'll be dead.
  16. KirkN

KirkN Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry, but with that name, all i can think of is that movie line (or standard question from downstairs in Jo Momma) "so, Jimmy, do you like gladiator movies?"

:lol3
    Purcell69, Nailhead, Kyron and 2 others like this.
  17. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wrangler is 3 years old and only been in the shop for water leaks.
    RonkoRider likes this.
  18. BillsR100

BillsR100 Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer:
    Read the comments in this youtube video of the Jeep Gladiator super bowl ad.
    I also cringed when I watched this and I'm not even a jeep fan!
    Complete fail by Jeep advertising. Jeep has said it was (past tense now) a REAL "mid 60's" jeep gladiator, no CGI.

19. Sootgrinder

Sootgrinder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really want one. I don't care what name they put on it. BUT. I'm sure that the pricing will prevent me from getting to own one. I really don't understand how manufacturers are able to keep prices of trucks so high. I have a really good job and I can't afford a new truck.
    Purcell69 and larryboy like this.
  20. old scoot

old scoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Build a base model, 2 door, around 30 grand, and we will talk. 4 door 50 grand status symbol, I don't think so, not in this lifetime.