Jeep "Gladiator"?!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Kommando, Jan 31, 2019.

1. SKT

SKT Long timer

Oddometer:
    BA9195CC-7ECC-4361-B145-2571013EE7BB.jpeg 610CF73F-700B-4DDA-97DB-EE1ABF5E5FA8.jpeg CF520397-4C44-44ED-8861-788C7AF0BBD1.jpeg 79D8F83D-17ED-4DB0-88BF-774A8A9D78B8.jpeg
    enduro0125 likes this.
  2. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Yup.

I give it 18 months. Two vehicles that ALSO sold out on launch...the ChryCo minivans, mid-1980s; and the Yugo, same time.

Where are those models, now? I suspect the market for this model...it's well-financed, socially and fiscally-able...but the market for such is small and quickly sated.
  3. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Chrysler has sold over 12 million minivans, not quite on pace with the Model T, but damn close. Fiat will do just fine with the Jeep truck.
    WARRIORPRINCEJJ and enduro0125 like this.
  4. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    And that market has completely disappeared. Turns out that relatively-few mommies want mommymobiles. Most of them want to pretend they're Lara Croft, with a lifted SUV...with an automatic, of course...

I'm just suggesting that the market for this trucklet is not a big market. Jack Baruth, who used to be editor at TheTruthAboutCars, suggested that the overlap of markets would be a problem. Jeeps are a social statement, and pickups are, for now a majority of buyers, a social statement. A Jeep TRUCK is the same statement, twice. The buyer need not buy the Jeep if he has a truck; and need not own the truck if he has the Jeep. Because the benefits are not physical use but the paradigm.
  5. Buzzbomber

Buzzbomber Meat Popsicle

Oddometer:
    I still see shit tons of minivans every day around here. The SUVs replaced station wagons, not vans, in my neck of the woods. I suspect what you see in Montana does not reflect the more urban/suburban parts of the US.

On the east coast I see very few flatbed trucks for example. They seem to be everywhere out west, but half-ton and crew cab 1-ton pickups with a variety of trailers seem more popular around here, or stakebeds and mason dumps for that matter. And there's probably more CC Tacos than sedans anymore...
  6. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    I'd buy a truck with a 10' bed if that was readily available. heh
    PT Cruiser. :lol2
  7. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Driving down I-80 outside Park City today, heading east, I saw a Gladiator over on the frontage road going the same direction. I have to say it looked badass.
  8. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw my first one today, I too thought it was cool. Impractical for my lifestyle but that doesn’t stop me from admiring a nifty vehicle.
  9. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw a few at the dealer when I picked up my wrangler from the service dept. All they had was white and gray. And they averaged $48K
  10. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    We have a ton of them around here already and I live in Iowa, where there is virtually no practical use for them...the land of mall crawlers. It's rare to actually see a newer Jeep dirty or scratched up.
    OConnor likes this.
  11. Tinfish

Tinfish Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've still only seen two here, and this is an area with a lot of crazy-expensive vehicles. Glad to hear they are apparently selling well overall, though. I keep expecting to see more of them driving around but so far haven't.

I think they look a lot better in person than in the photos, actually, with proportions that look fairly normal. The Gladiator is not on my shopping list, but it looks just as practical as any other crewcab shortbed pickup, which is most of what you see these days.
  12. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    A pic I took at Expo west this year...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A pick I took at Expo East a few years back... BF goodrich test track
    [​IMG]
    SKT likes this.
  13. Dynamick

Dynamick When you see the robot, drink! Supporter