1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Jeep "Gladiator"?!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Kommando, Jan 31, 2019.

1. plumber mike

plumber mike Highdive Deepened

Oddometer:
    No manual transmission for the diesel. That would have been the only way to get me to peel off the coin.
    Jeeps used to be desirable because of simplicity. I honestly don’t know what makes them desirable now.
    Wallachian Spikes and OConnor like this.
  2. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    This^^ my 2d JK and megacab Diesel is a much better duo than trying to wrap it into one package....
  3. old scoot

old scoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's going to be hard to name a mass produced vehicle that is better off road than a 2 door Wrangler. If what you really need is an everyday driver that can deal with snow, there are a lot of better choices. If you need a pickup, all of them are a better choice. I do think a 2 door Wrangler pickup with a 6 foot bed would be fun to have but it's going to need to be reasonably priced. To me that means 30 or less for a plain jane.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  4. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sadly, they are still one of the more simple vehicles made.
    Still have a frame,
    Still have straight axles, what, only 3/4 ton a up 4x4 trucks have them now otherwise?
    Still have a conventional drive train with actual 4x4 and a real transfercase. Not the " Only engages for 10 seconds" crap that most modern AWD imports and CUV's have.
    Have less doodads than most other cars.
    Can still take the roof and doors off.
    Can mod heavily.
    Can run actual locking differentials, again not the shit that most "4x4" cars have now where it's a trick of the traction control and ABS that only works for a few seconds.
    Sootgrinder and scrubb like this.
  5. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    Yep, they are intentionally making it a status symbol and exclusive......

Personally i dig it but i would be hard pressed to spend the kind of dough that folks are thinking its going to cost for a midsize truck. My sister and her husband on the other hand are already prepping to ditch his 1 year old JK for a fully pimped Gladiator as soon as they can order one. The shame of it is its life will be spent driving around Kennebunk ME with the top down and never going off road. The biggest obstacle it will ever see will be a speed bump in the mall parking lot.
  6. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Rocky Mountain Terrain Park. 2h north. Solid wheeling. Lockers f/r required. Nothing smaller than 36s suggested. Send them up!
    Bhart89 likes this.
  7. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chevy is doing the same thing with the colorado ZR2. Demand is high but they are keeping production low so that they go for nearly $50K easily.
  8. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:

Agreed. It is hands down the most readily modifiable vehicle with the largest aftermarket availability of parts of probably any car/truck in the world. My brother has a 2007 JK UL Rube. Thing was a beast off road stock before he starting modding it. Bad thing, modding is VERY addictive (like farkles on a bike) and get end with your wife/GF having you either stop or get the eff out. lol

There are a million Jeeps on youtube, however, these two people have a handle called "LiteBrite." Brittany and Kevin Williams from Denver, CO. They both used to be (still are?) drift racers. They absolutely punish their stock JL and that sucka just won't quit. They have it pretty modded now with 38"'s but they keep putting up cool vids of their trail crawling adventures. I was impressed what they put it thru and it just keeps going.

Below is a link just after they got the JL. In this vid they were easy on it compared to how much crap they put it thru. They have some much more hardcore videos
  9. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    Problem is they would have zero interest in actually going off road.
  10. Bultaco74

Bultaco74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought Sergio Marchionne died.
  11. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Yep, he died last July.
  12. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I only watch it for the chic.:1drink
    scrubb likes this.
  13. DLFLHT

DLFLHT I'm a little fuzzy

Oddometer:
    The big price was his going away present!:D
    Nailhead likes this.
  14. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Latest issue of JP Magazine is saying $80k for the Rubicon, and $60k for the plain one. It might be speculation on their part, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I know people have said that Jeep needs to pay attention to the competition, and a Colorado ZR2 Rhino is $53k, but I honestly don't think Jeep cares. There is zero chance it will be priced like the Colorado.
  15. Gundy

Gundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get an F150 or Tundra with the full sunroof and retractable rear window. With everything open on a nice day it’s not a heck of a lot different. Price should be similar or less and then you’ve got a real truck. Still, the gladiator does look fun.
  16. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I don't care.:D
    Devil Dog likes this.
  17. SKT

SKT Long timer

Oddometer:
    497569C6-745C-4091-9AB5-E0913E2CD76B.jpeg B98C8C40-F40C-40B4-97D0-A3E208195533.jpeg CEC7A20D-4805-4A2C-9406-771B99D1CD96.jpeg 427283A8-B097-4D5A-B70B-46D7717B8D09.jpeg
  18. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    I'd probably be just as happy with a ten year old H3T if I could find the V8 model.
  19. Steve 1

Steve 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Buzztail likes this.
  20. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    Why would anyone even bother to make a truck that wouldn't hold a four wheeler? May as well buy that abomination from Honda that they call a truck.
    HapHazard likes this.