Jeep "Gladiator"?!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Kommando, Jan 31, 2019.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

99% of these will be similar.

i love the old cj's and similar jeeps. they usually had dudes with mullets and cowboy hats driving them. now people obsess over having the coolest led headlights, paint protection services 2x a year, and soccer moms drive them to tennis practice.

gladiator ? hmmm, name sounds really funny, price is insane, body too big, bed too small...

i definitely "don't get it" when it comes to this model.
  2. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will also toss this out there. There is one reason we are seeing this and one reason only. Fiat now owns them.

There was never going to be a Jeep PU that could take sales away from the dodge trucks. This is why we got the candy of all the show cars, but never got one. Now that Fiat is calling the shots we get the truck.

And let me tell you a thing about Fiat, it is the General Motors of europe, only well run and makes money. I have a thing for old cars, and have two old Fiats.....the bolts say FIAT on them....they had their own foundry. They took the ford everything is done by us that is possible and took it to the next step. The ford rouge plant was what fiat modeled their business after and it is a huge company. And lived through some real rough times that Italy went through.

We joke a great deal about fiat but I think it is a company that is looking at what the american customer wants. I know the wife wants to look at one, along with a bronco.
    UtahGuido likes this.
  3. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude

Oddometer:
    For lugging around a liter bike those can’t be beat unless you want a van.
  4. Steve 1

Steve 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ! don't see a market for a truck that cost more than my house.My 80 Toyota SR5 has a factory AM/FM radio,factory climate controlled AC,bucket seats,load controlled rear suspension,disc brakes ,five speed and factory sliding rear window,is was $5500 back in 80,worth more now and still runs like new,everything works it is long paid for,it has a 5'x6' bed.How did we get here, I am retired now and cannot afford a new vehicle.https://imgur.com/hB1WUfK[​IMG]
  5. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer:
    A four wheeler will fit, no worries :thumb
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  6. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think they are a neat vehicle. If they option a variety of engines in them, even better. Like the 4 cyl turbo engine, the 3liter eco diesel, the hemi. Heck, you can still get it with a manual tranny, straight axles, locking diffs. Just what everyone says they want but few end up buying.
    I can see one of these replacing my Duramax truck and my Landcruiser at some point. Make mine a loaded Rubicon in the dark green, please.

It's not going to ever be a single cab long box work truck that a framer will use, but I don't think that is where it is aimed.
    UtahGuido and RustyStuff like this.
  7. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
    I don't get the idea that if it doesn't have axles and a transfer case, it isn't 4WD. It makes me laugh when folks say the value in an old 4X4 system is that you can change every part in it! Well what did you pay for then? The vast majority of people buying these are not going to lift them, add lockers, etc etc. Technology keeps moving forward and there are now much better AWD systems for a passenger vehicle than 4x4 with lockers. Sure, if you want to do the Rubicon trail or go mudding, locked 4X4 is probably the ticket. The other 99% of buyers want a good looking, reliable, efficient, comfortable vehicle that will get them through the snow, down the beach, and up that fire road to camp. There are a ton of AWD vehicles that fit that bill.

I wonder if this line of thought (4X4 vs AWD) from the Jeep fan base will cripple the brand, sort of the same path Harley took. I bet in ten years the argument will be electric vs gas.

And the new Ridgeline is a cool looking truck. I saw a new one in person yesterday, looks way better in person.
  8. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 motominded

Oddometer:
    That's a real nice truck . The SR5's were way nicer to drive than the standard models .
  9. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You don't seem to understand that the reason a lot of people buy jeep wranglers is that, they are still, more or less a old school 4x4 under the plastic and comfortable interior.
    There are dozens of softroad AWD cars out there to choose from but jeep has their niche staked out and nobody else seems to want to play their game aside from some pickup trucks. I would also argue your " most people won't lift them" as 95% of the jeeps I see are lifted here. It's a rare day to see a stock jeep, even brand new models.

Dunno about that last part, there are a few guys building electric rock crawling buggies already. All the torque at low rpm is something a lot of those guys go nuts over. The biggest problem I can see is charging a offroad rig without towing a diesel gen set around. A electric hybrid would probably be the only way for that to work.
    FR700 and JustKip like this.
  10. 12bridn

Oddometer:
    No, I get that wrangler buyers want to lift and mod them more than most. I’d still say most are not lifted and locked, at least in my neck of the woods. It has a following with off-roaders, but also with soccer moms and high schoolers.

As far as comfort, my experience is limited to a new 2000ish wrangler and a liberty, but comfort is not how I would describe the ride.

It is interesting that someone is trying an electric crawler, though that has little to do with manufacturers new model offerings or what will sell at dealerships at this point in the game.
  11. 12bridn

Oddometer:
    about lifting, I do see a lot of mild lifts for cosmetic reasons. My initial comment was more about axle swaps, locking diffs, coil overs, etc. 95 percent of people wont do that stuff but many will throw a cheap lift on so they can run bigger wheels for looks.
  12. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer:
    A hybrid Wrangler is coming soon.
    12bridn likes this.
  13. TrailDust&SaddleLthr

TrailDust&SaddleLthr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly!

This is what I was waiting for.....

[​IMG]

Very sad this one will never see the light of day! Would have been too nice!

What is the damn obsession with those 4 door pick-ups? Sheeeshhhh! :(
    HapHazard, YJake, Nailhead and 4 others like this.
  14. BMWrider79

BMWrider79 Here

Oddometer:
    Hey, I’ve got one of those.
    73423CEF-1068-4211-BAFB-DA98614A7A9B.jpeg
    Pressingonward, vtwin and Nailhead like this.
  15. TrailDust&SaddleLthr

Oddometer:
    Can you say 84 month loans now? :eek2
  16. TrailDust&SaddleLthr

Oddometer:
    Same here!
  17. TrailDust&SaddleLthr

Oddometer:
    How about this one! OMG! So cool!

upload_2019-2-5_20-41-22.png
    OConnor and Wallachian Spikes like this.
  18. TrailDust&SaddleLthr

Oddometer:
    And still is to this day!
  19. SKT

SKT Long timer

Oddometer:
    3D7C2911-73C0-4A7E-9188-2A039705C9B3.jpeg
  20. SKT

SKT Long timer

Oddometer: