1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Jeep "Gladiator"?!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Kommando, Jan 31, 2019.

1. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    Devil Dog likes this.
  2. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enjoy the new Gladiator. Love that color.
    Devil Dog likes this.
  3. Heyload

Heyload Bent but not broken Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's purty!
    Devil Dog likes this.
  4. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    That is a nice looking Gladiator. Do you like it?

Not sure I need a Mojave here in the wilds of Fl, just to go bicycle single track riding.:lol3 Maybe an Overland would be better suited.
  5. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice!!
  6. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer:
    I love it so far.
    The suspension is so controlled. Ohio has potholes and washboard gravel, where the mojave shines :thumb
  7. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fuck my wrangler bounces all over the goddam place on potholes
    JustKip and 2whlrcr like this.
  8. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    Nice.

Florida isn’t known for its potholes. There are a ton of dirt and sand back roads....
  9. Devil Dog

Oddometer:
    Mine does too :lol3

The mojave suspension is built for sand and washboard.
    The rubi is better for rock crawling only :deal
    BCC likes this.
  10. Devil Dog

Oddometer:
    I wrapped the grab handles with paracord myself, instead of buying aftermarket ones :deal
    IMG_20200919_164535_840.jpg IMG_20200919_164535_847.jpg IMG_20200919_164535_844.jpg IMG_20200919_164535_850.jpg
  11. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    My current ride is an F150 Platinum 2wd. Perfect tow vehicle, the way it’s configured. Logical. No sunroof, because that diminishes payload.

Thinking of downsizing one of our vehicles. Test drove a Gladiator Overland and a Rubicon today. Dealer did not have a Mojave.

The logical choice would be the Overland. Cheaper, less road noise and it doesn’t wander quite as much at speed on paved roads and really, most of my off-road won’t be. It will mainly be dirt or sand roads and the Overland will more than meet my needs.

Gonna test drive a Mojave on Monday.:D

Not sure I’m actually going to buy anything. And I’m up front about that with the sales folk. I do like the Gladiator.
    Devil Dog likes this.
  12. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I like the Gladiator "idea" but like all JK's it's just too big. I thought my 2005 TJ was too big.

Make it a 2 door and about 3/4 scale. A real Jeep® should not have 4 doors IMO. There are plenty of Yukons and Pilots and Highlanders and Explorers and South Korean what-evers for suburban soccer moms.
    CrazyCooter likes this.
  13. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Gladiator is similar size to any other midsize pickup.

Jeeps shouldn't be 4drs? I'm glad you're not in charge of Jeep. Some people have kids that have to be in carseats. I'm glad they finally offer 4drs. The 4dr models also have a wider rear seat that fits 3 adults, instead of just 2. If you don't want a 4dr JL, buy a 2dr. It's that simple. The JT is a pickup. It's a capable, versatile, convertible, 4WD pickup that can ALSO be used as a family vehicle.

My guess is that crewcabs became so popular because most states don't allow passengers to ride in the truck bed anymore.

I think Jeep should offer something about the size of a 2dr Samurai or TJ though, and cheap/simple, for people who just want an offroader.

The crewcab Gladiator would be fine for me as a pickup. The bed is enough to haul 4x8 sheets, 2 dirtbikes, etc. The Sport S Max Tow capacity is more than double the capacity I need to haul the 26' cabin cruiser boat that I want. A ladder rack and/or roofrack can handle long items.
    X5-, RedDogAlberta and BCC like this.
  14. Heyload

Heyload Bent but not broken Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't have a problem with the four doors, but I would have still liked to have seen an extended cab version with a long bed. But, cest' la vie. There are plenty of other options available.

I'd like to see an updated Dakota....and people in Hell would like ice water. About the same odds, I reckon.
  15. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Except for the extra 20" of wheelbase :deal

I used to have an opinion against 4 door Wranglers, till I spent some time in one off road. There were a couple of things my CJ2 could do, because of size, that the JKU couldn't, but the extra wheelbase came in handy more times than it didn't. Now, with the 140" WB of the Gladiator, it can definitely be a liability with the poor breakover angle. 4 door Wrangler? Not so much.
  16. Devil Dog

Oddometer:
    Big rumor about a year ago was that we were getting the '22 Dakota here :deal
    I havent heard anything recently though :dunno
    Heyload likes this.
  17. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    The long wheelbase contributes to a better ride, better towing stability, better climbing ability, and better resistance to rolling over.

The breakover angle can probably be improved pretty easily with a high-clearance skid, taller tires, adjustable airbags in the suspension, and/or an economical suspension lift.
    VxZeroKnots likes this.
  18. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    I looked hard at the Mojave, but went with a nicely equipped Overland. Quite a bit narrower than the f150 I traded. Liking it.
    B8B531A8-1945-44D1-8357-2E318D20B3D3.jpeg 55E2D33E-CC53-421E-926C-1B8C37514C37.jpeg
    Devil Dog, tominboise and spezjag like this.
  19. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Needs moar taar....
  20. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    Don’t disagree. What would stop me from doing it is I tow a travel trailer. Probably affect tow capacity and acceleration.
    JustKip likes this.