Jeep "Gladiator"?!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Kommando, Jan 31, 2019.

1. SKT

SKT Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. Schmokel

Schmokel I got band for a fat joke.

Oddometer:
    I think he broke the rear end on that. Going through Chocolate Thunder only one rear tire was moving. Unless it was an open rear end, which I couldn't imagine being the case.
    RustyStuff likes this.
  3. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's with the fascination with manual transmissions? Up to about 2000 or so, the auto trannys available in consumer pickups weren't the toughest thing around - I rebuilt the 700R4 in my '86 GMC 3 times, with all the mods, blah, blah, and that was behind a 6.2l diesel and I didn't tow anything at the time. The one in my '97 Dodge V10 2500 wasn't much better but did last longer. The Allison behind the Duramax was a real game changer - they routinely last several hundred thousand miles while towing. I presume the Ford and Dodge tranny's have also been upgraded. The 80 series landcruisers use a derivative of a fork lift transmission and last forever given a modicum of maintenance.

Manufacturers give higher tow ratings to automatics due to the need to slip the clutch getting a heavy trailer moving with the manual trans. Heavy equipment - rock trucks, front end loaders, etc use automatics. Rockcrawling with a 4X4 is much easier with the automatic. Sitting in a traffic jam commuting - automatic all the way.

I am not bashing manuals - I grew up driving them in the 1970's and I have a car with one in it myself, but no way I'd buy a new vehicle with a manual in it.
    JustKip likes this.
  4. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    He said he ran most of his stint without lockers.
  5. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Not for me: I'm a big fan of engine braking on steep inclines. The 727 in my M886 made those far more exciting than I wanted them. Also, the low gear ratios in manuals tend to be much lower than those in automatics, sometimes making going up those same inclines excessively dramatic. I forget what the low gear ratio in my M715 is, but something like 7:1 comes to mind, and the one in that 727 was in the neighborhood of 2-3:1. Less fun IMHO.
  6. Matt_Mc

Matt_Mc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unless it hits lockup, the auto is always slipping the converter creating heat which is almost always the cause of death of a trans. It never delivers 100% power to the drive train until that point. A manual is the exact opposite once it is moving or the clutch is fully engaged. It's extremely difficult to slip the clutch once it's engaged. There's pros and cons to both. There's also less maintenance to a stick than an auto and most new autos have a TON of electronics in them anymore. One little glitch and you're stuck being towed to a dealer with a computer to troubleshoot. For towing a load and putting power to the ground the manual trans easily wins that one.

As far as fuel mileage goes, manuals have always been the leader in fuel mileage. Not until the last few years have the auto's caught up in fuel economy but to say they are far superior is incorrect. It take a lot more power to run an auto than a manual. There are many manuals and auto's out now that rival one another in fuel economy however. Again, it's all about preference for how YOU drive.

If all gear ratios were the same 1-6 and the final drive ratio was the same, a manual trans would easily get better fuel mileage for two reasons. Autos take more power to run ( or did ) and you can short shift a manual.
  7. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    All true. But aside from the fun of shifting and feeling more of a connection with what the car/motor is doing I have found one thing that I can do with manual that I can't do with an auto and that's push the clutch in and let the vehicle coast. There's a place where I do a K-turn up against an embankment where I power the jeep up the slope, push in the clutch, let it roll back, engage the motor and drive forward. You could do that with an automatic by shifting into neutral but it's a lot simpler with a clutch. And I'm not sure autos are designed to work that way, conveniently anyway. I don't do much in the way of rock crawling but I've found off-roading that I just leave it in the appropriate gear and motor forward - or backward.

2 years on with my JKU and I'm still liking the manual.
  8. TrailDust&SaddleLthr

TrailDust&SaddleLthr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This would have been a nice Plan B for me....

[​IMG]
  9. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^^^ I would have a hard time NOT buying that truck!
    Beemer Bob and mtwillyman like this.
  10. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the electronic engine management in all new cars and trucks, working in tandem with the electronically controlled transmission, the AT will automatically "short shift" for optimum fuel efficiency. So much so that that's probably the number 1 complaint...not being able to get it NOT to short shift. I also worry about electronic failure, as my new to the market Allison 5 speed in my '00 (or was it '01?) GMC 2500HD did twice in the first few months of ownership. But with each passing year there are more electronics and less choice. But the fact is, in recent years, automatic transmissions have surpassed manual in fuel economy. And recent years (new) is what's being discussed. If it was a brand new '68 Gladiator being discussed, I'd take the manual!
    About 10 years ago(has it really been that long?), my son was shopping for a new Porsche 911, and was disappointed that it was only available with a DCT. The engineers at Porsche determined that "You could not possibly shift that quickly" meant slightly better lap times, and ignored the reality that most buyers want to feel that connection with the machine. My son found a nice used one instead, but didn't save any money. The new trans had a lot of people doing the same thing, so the used market shot up.

Around that same time, my dad had the idea that he's like one more travel trailer, and a diesel pickup to go with it. Everything on the Dodge lot had an automatic paired with the Cummins diesel, so he asked me to do some research. You could order the Dodge Ram 3500 with a stick, but it was 650 lb/ft of torque instead of the 825 lb/ft you got with the auto.

It's a different world we live in now, even compared to 10 years ago, and most of us looking at these vehicles are remembering things as they were 40-50 years ago.
    RustyStuff, FR700 and Devil Dog like this.
  11. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    I liked the concept vehicle..
    [​IMG]
  12. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    The visceral hatred I have for the auto in my ‘08 Dodge 2500 alone is enough to make me pine for a manual trans. POS seems to have only two speeds: Lazy, and Kickdown. I drove my BIL’s ‘02 Tahoe last summer, and the six year older auto in that was a revelation compared to my boat-anchor 45 RFE, or whatever it’s called. It shifted promptly, always seemed have the right gear ready. I actually enjoyed it, and then I had drive my truck home.
  13. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    People also underestimate how strong the planetary gear sets in autos are VS lay shafts with sliding gears. It's the heat and slipping of the clutches that kills auto's, VS breaking gear teeth or synchro's in manuals.

Most drag cars now are auto's now. You cannot possibly beat the ability to engage 2 gears at once and shift nearly instantly with a manual short of a dog box that doesn't need to be clutched or a lenco/liberty. But dog box transmissions suck on the street.

Iirc a liberty trans is planetary gears and works like a manually shifted auto trans.
    JustKip likes this.
  15. OConnor

OConnor Bad juju

Oddometer:
    Auto transmissions are alright but I'll keep buying manuals as long as they are an option.
    mtwillyman and Nailhead like this.
  16. JStory

JStory Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ex U-Haul fleet truck. I bought it at carmax. 7800 miles, $22k.
    Rubber floor, AM/FM, A/C. That's it.
    [​IMG]
  17. jimroid

jimroid Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ Very good!!
  18. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer:
    I'm kinda diggin this cap and rack.
    Plus
    Screenshot_20190213-220013~2.png
    Stravoxylo likes this.
  19. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would guess that a decent fabricator could convert a swinggate to a tailgate.
  20. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    You’ll have to pry my cold dead hand off of the shifter connecting my central nervous system to the Neues Schaltgetriebe 370 6 speed transmission in my LJ, properly equipped with 3 pedals as God intended.
    Neil E., Nailhead and 2whlrcr like this.