Jeep Scramber vs TJ what to do?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Stroked 550, Oct 13, 2019.

1. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Regarding room: Have a SEAT in a Scrambler. The issue there is, whether the front-seat travel is the same as in the CJ-7 or TJ. It may not be, because of that steel divider that cuts off the rear of the vehicle into a bed, and which provides the back mounting for the Scrambler cab.

The TJ is basically a CJ-7/YJ tub, with extensive modifications for a far-different frame. The TJ Unlimited (I don't believe the LJ was an official designation; it may have been sold in Canada that way)...the Unlimited is essentially the size of a CJ-6, but with CJ-7 door cutouts.

The Scrambler used the CJ-6 frame but extended body and frame behind the rear axles to get the longer bed.
    Purcell69 and Stroked 550 like this.
  2. Stroked 550

Stroked 550 Dirt Nut

Oddometer:
    @JGNC an LJ would be better then the TJ in the cargo room department if I can find one in my price range
  3. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    If you are going to that level of modification, you could put a YJ Panhard rod on the axles, front and rear. Make it more stable, anyway. Maybe a YJ steering gear in there, also. CJs of that era either had AMC's worm-and-roller steering, or Saginaw variable-ratio power steering. Which, if you drove a GM car of that era...those were lousy, with a weak center point.

I'd caution you about a Cummins conversion - that's a heavy diesel engine, and the CJ's original design never intended such weight. Even the AMC six, at 500 pounds, was pushing it. It was one reason the CJ5 was discontinued - it had a tendency to roll, nose over tip.

And I'd agree with other posters here, that the best solution for you might be a TJ Unlimited. They're a bit hard to find, also, but much-better all-around vehicles.
  4. Tinfish

Tinfish Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've owned both a TJ and a Scrambler. If you are even somewhat tall, the CJ8 cab is tight. There's also zero safety equipment other than the engine isn't powerful so you usually aren't going fast.

Sounds like you would be spending a ton of money to end up with something less useful than an Unlimited, honestly. It would be a fun project for sure, but a difficult and expensive path to get there.
  5. Stroked 550

Stroked 550 Dirt Nut

Oddometer:
    thanks for chiming in that was very insightful, I will go check them out and sit in one, thats a good point about the divider especially since Im 6'5" tall that could be a deal breaker because I need to be comfortable offroading all day

I believe the LJ is marketed at the "Unlimited" in the US I have learned a lot I appreciate you sharing your knowledge
  6. Stroked 550

Stroked 550 Dirt Nut

Oddometer:
    thats a good idea to put the YJ Panhard rod on both axles for better stability, Ive driven trucks with weak steering systems those were some terrible experiences lol.
    a steering upgrade would definitely be in order

my fabricator could beef up the frame a bit or just go with the 4bt Ive seen that motor in a few scramblers / CJs

ohh the voices of reason and logic :imaposer:lol3 going the TJ unlimited route, I know it is very tempting and I am searching for them as well they seem to be a bit pricey though
  7. Stroked 550

Stroked 550 Dirt Nut

Oddometer:
    Purcell69 likes this.
  8. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I got nuthin specific, but as someone that's wanted a CJ8 since he knew what they were, you'll get more attention in that

The newer ones are likely to be much better vehicles overall tho

M
  9. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Purcell69, Stroked 550 and leavundst like this.
  10. leavundst

leavundst Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are other cars up for consideration? How about a long wheelbase Land Rover Series 3?
    Stroked 550 likes this.
  11. Stroked 550

Stroked 550 Dirt Nut

Oddometer:
  12. Stroked 550

Stroked 550 Dirt Nut

Oddometer:
    that would be cool but they're a bit out of my price range, right now my price point is $15k

ideally I would like something like the scrambler having a p/u bed is nice carrying all the gear with a coilover setup

I was considering a pinzgauer but I think they would be too slow on the freeway and their would be a lot of fab work to do an engine swap
  13. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    Did you say “Overland”?

:hmmmmm
    Stroked 550 likes this.
  14. Stroked 550

Stroked 550 Dirt Nut

Oddometer:
    yes'em
  15. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    Did you say Pinzgauer?

When have THEY ever been sold to civilians?

Regardiing the Unlimited half-cab: I'd go look at one before spending the money. I've never seen one; but I expect the "pickup box" would be smaller than on the current Gladiator.

Maybe you REALLY want to think out of the box. You're going to put a modern engine in...have you considered a Jeepster or Commando? 1966 to 1973. The ones that are not restored, are dirt-cheap. I've been out of the Jeep world for a long time, but there used to be sources for aftermarket tubs for the C101/C103. Fiberglass or steel. Of course, that market's pretty-much dried up; but the frame is almost the exact same as the CJ6 of corresponding years.

If you find one with a solid body and frame...engine what you'd expect on a fifty-year-old vehicle...you could put a half-cab on it (there may be some reproductions out there, or a factory one somewhere) and a CJ front clip on it. The 103-inch WB Commando, 1972-73, would be best. It's the redheaded stepchild of the Jeep family - they couldn't give them away, and they were cheap even into the early '00s. Although now they've mostly become one with the Earf.

But just a thought. If you're going to re-engineer something, better to start with something that nobody thinks much of, rather than altering an expensive classic like the Scrambler or an expensive used SUV like the Unlimited.
    Purcell69 likes this.
  16. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    Give you an idea of the donor vehicle...Commando pickup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You could dress those up with a CJ front clip, for minimal work...the cowl contour is the same. Or drop a fiberglass or aluminum CJ6 tub on it.
  17. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:

You will have much more money in this “build” method than buying a more modern well equipped machine. Whatever you think this project will cost, multiply by three or four if you can do all the work .................. and I’ve built a few.

:lol3
  18. Stroked 550

Stroked 550 Dirt Nut

Oddometer:
    There are several Pinzgauers for sale on craigslist right now I generally see a few for sale at any given time

but from my research its pretty hard to shove a 4bt inside one without substantial fabrication

I havent considered the Jeepster or Commando because of their appearance, its hard for me to get past that, the TJ+ and Scramblers have the look
    I can see why they were the red headed step child lol

That sounds like a lot of body work but maybe its not as much as it sounds like on paper
  19. Stroked 550

Stroked 550 Dirt Nut

Oddometer:
    Im 6'5" .... yeah I know it would be an expensive path to get there I would be doing it in phases

I know the Unlimited is a much better option right outta the gate
    Purcell69 likes this.
  20. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    Didn't know that. The only Pinzgauer I ever saw/heard of, was one given to Car & Driver to test and report back. Seems Steyr-Puch was finding the European military market soft and wanted an objective review of how it would stack up against a then-modern American utility vehicle. This was 1978.

I never heard another thing about them. Since then, we've gone Full-Retard with safety and emissions standards...I figured they just gave up the idea.

Not easy like falling-off-a-log, but straightforward. I replaced the tub on a DJ once - ten bolts held it to the frame. Two people could pick it up and carry the old one to the trash trailer.

On my YJ, I did replace the front clip with a CJ clip. I bought the YJ cheap, since it was being sold out of a repo lot - and it was crashed with a police pursuit. Not at high speed, but the grille was smacked. It was cheaper and easier to get a CJ grille and hood and then fiberglass fenders, than to spend $$$$ for the Chrysler part, that had been copyrighted as trade dress to keep aftermarket people out.

The lower part of the fenders and corners of the grille needed to be trimmed with a Dremel tool. I had a body man do that; but everything else just bolted up. Fenders, five bolts on the firewall and four, I think, to the flat grille. On the Commando, it would go on easier, since the frame is EXACTLY the same. On the Jeepster-Commandos, you would only need replace the hood, or just leave that grille and hood.

Some creative bodywork could probably give you the rear end of the Scrambler - just buzz off the body at the wheel openings, and butt-weld or patch-weld in (I say "just" but I couldn't do it) the rear of a wrecked Scrambler or even a YJ or CJ body. Square off your bed on the rear.

It would sure be easier than fitting that Cummins engine in. THAT will be WORK - and your front clip will have to come off to install it, anyway.