Jesse Unhinged

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by RockyRaccoon, Jul 7, 2001.

1. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer:
    One of the pins has come out of the hinge on the lid of my nearly new Jesse Odyssey. The pin is a tiny cylinder of stainless steel that appears to have been held in place by a pressed fit.

Basically, when I opened the bag, I found the lid was dangling by one tiny hinge and the errant pin was barely hanging in its hole.

I suppose I can just push it back into place and keep riding for the time being, but it is sure to fall out again. Is there a permanent fix or does this call for a new hinge from the bag man?

I guess this also raises a question about the durability of the hinges chosen for the Odyssey, Jesse's new model of bags. Perhaps it's still early in the product cycle and there are a few bugs to work out.
  2. jcolombo

jcolombo Lurking Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'd just like to be able to see some bags! I ordered a set for my 650 Dakar in January (a couple of months after they announced the new design) and still have yet to see anything. I really want to see these before going to the Touratech design (can you say boxy?), but the if there are quality issues as well...

Then again, given the fact that Al really rides with this stuff and has some intense "field testers", I can't imagine that it won't get fixed right eventually.

-JC
  3. Lurch II

Lurch II Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kurt,
    Just installed my new Odyssey's two weeks ago and hadn't looked at the hinge but it appears to me it could be a weak spot. There isn't much space for something more robust. I haven't had a problem yet but they haven't gotten much use yet either. But what I hear about Al is that if there is a problem he'll make it right. I'd report it to him and see what he says. If it's a problem he'll probably fix it for you and everyone else. His rep is that he stands 100% behind his product. My dealings with him were very pleasant and I think the product is a good design overall.
  4. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer:
    I'm not too worried about Jesse fixing/replacing as needed. I've had good experiences with him even if his admin is a little decrepit. I was just wondering if there's some bright person out there with an easy fix....

But the more I look at it, the more the hinges seem to be a weak link. Each time you open the bag and let the lid hang, it is likely to stretch the holes that hold the pins, and since they seem to be only pressed in, it seems like only a matter of time for all of them.

My last little thing with Jesse is that he sent me a top-box unsolicited. He'd called a couple of months back to ask if he had the color right before sending it, and I told him I hadn't ordered a top-box. Then just the other day, here comes a top-box via UPS. The wrong color even. I left a message and am waiting to hear. I'm sure it will get worked out, but he does seem to have a little trouble in the front office.

When I ordered my bags from him, we'd had a conversation about his top-boxes, and somehow he must have gotten it in his head that I'd ordered one. Anyway....
  5. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While I was at Redmond someone brought up a hinge problem to Al while I was standing there. The hinge did indeed look to be rather weak. Or rather the portion of the hinge where it attaches to the box and the lid.

As I understand it the moving part of the hinge is actually a link from a drive chain, and the pin that it rotates on is a pin from a chain. So with a chain link and chain tool it would be easy to replace either item.

Without looking closely at it again (I don't yet have a set of Jesse's) the surface area where the hinge attaches seems to be rather minimal. Maybe something larger could be invented.

FWIW,
    LCB
  6. Red Bull

Red Bull Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have recently installed a set of new Jessy bags, and had a few clearance issues. Al sent a fit ket for Corbin seats, (he mentioned that he seat cast from BMW varies, so the clearance for the bags need to be offset 1/4 inch and hase a kit for this so order the kit if you have Corbin seats (R11GS)

Also I noticed the "latach" has difficulty colsing since it hits the front support bracket, (Al mentioned that tollerance is tight, It sure it...this leads me to the next problem...

The closing latach has holes for additional lock, except nothing can fit in them when they ar emounted on the bike. I invested hours with a locksmith and it seems to be a real problem. Al said he would get back to me on this... He has not used a lock but wil investigate.

All and all, I'm delighted with these bags :thumb (and the HUGE 65L topcase) I forgot that the exahust (Remius) would have a whole new sound when resinating the panniers :evil Once it's packed it settles down a bit but it is much louder.

:hat BTW - I chose the "gray" color, and they still get wuite hot from the sun... if you get the "cool" black you be be assured your geat will NOT be "cool". I am going to cam for a week and I will try to use these as a solar oven, (really) as a test.

Here are some photos of the problem:
  7. jcolombo

jcolombo Lurking Moderator

Oddometer:
    I also have the Jesse bags on my 1150GS and both the right and left bags rub against the sides of the stock seat when opening and closing. Haven't decided what I'm going to do about it yet, as I don't want to get into dealing with spacers and such. I guess I'm a bit disappointed that they don't even fit a stock bike and a stock seat out of the box.

Aside from that, I agree that these are a great addition - well made, good looking, narrow, and hold a ton of stuff. I went to the store yesterday and was able to easily get an eniter week of groceries in the bags - just make sure to put the ice cream in the right bag.

-JC
  8. Lurch II

Lurch II Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Jesse's on my R1100GS rub the seat when opening and closing the lid too, but I guess its a glass half empty or full issue for me. I'm glad they are snug to the bike and I don't see where the very modest rubbing they do as I open and close them will harm the seat in the least. So for me, having them that snug to the bike is a good thing and I won't complain. I also had a clearance problem with my stock muffler, which has been on and off the bike several times, but Al advised me that there was at least a half inch of play in the mounting system if I loosened it up, moved it over and retightened it. I was a skeptic but tried it and sure enough, I now have plenty of room. So the tolerances are tight. it's true, but I view that as craftmanship. Anyone could make bags that fit "loose". Having them tight takes skill and confidence in your own work.

Overall, I'm real satisfied with my new Jesse's. Did my first rally with them and have more room than I know what to do with. But the bike seems to handle better with them loaded than the stock bags, probably due to the lower CG. All in all, a winner in my book.
  9. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    I had the same issue with my Millenium and Al send me the "Corbin Kit". But just before I started to fix it, someone on the GS-List gave me a better (IMO) idea:
    I just cut 1 inch of plastic in the seat itself where it was rubing. It just take 20 minutes, it looks as clean as before and I keep the bags close from the bike. That's major when they are already scratching on tight turns.
  10. Red Bull

Red Bull Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just returned from a fast week to/from Sturgis, SD (2,800 miles) :): and used my panniers - shimmed one side and had a "tight fit" on the other. The results... the "tight fit" was really annoying when trying to get my bungy cords looped and accessing the pannier when the duffel (attached on the rear passenger seat) was attached. By contrast the "shimmed" side was MUCH easier to attach the bungies and could easily access the luggage with my rear gear still attached. Only one issue, the alignment was ever so slightly off. The "Corbin kit" Al Jessy sent did not include a shim for the top rear most bracket, causing the cam lock pin in the rear to be too far away from the bracket. Simple problem to fix, and I am documenting all this and sending it to Al Jessy to see if he wants to include the additional shim to fix this little "nit"
    I had several occasions to test the strength of the bags during some off-road and eventual “oopsies” I also met-up with another off-road who had one hell-of-a-dent on his cases… mentioned he ripped it off completely when he slammed a rock at speed. Once again Al sent a replacement bracket and patched-up the case… for free. Now that’s what I call standing behind your product. I encourage anyone to invest in these bags!
  11. zaydie

zaydie MC Rider

Oddometer:
    To John Saguto
    Here is my experience with the latches not closing properly. I had just in stalled my Jesse bags. Left side get latches closed, no problem to use an exta lock. Right side latch was hitting the foot peg bracket. It ws closing but not all the way. The other problem with the right side was that the bag angled out. What was wrong. After closer inspection I found that I had put the foot peg bracket on the outside of the frame that held the bags. It belongs on the inside. Once I corrected the problem the latch closed and it no longer angled out. Easy mistake. Hope this helps. John