Jessie James

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ve8nc, Dec 6, 2008.

1. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Man, is that ice in great shape!!
  2. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Sweet...... was that an official road side stop..... or will any snow bank do ???
  3. ve8nc

ve8nc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Here is the route to Aklavik or Tuk taken from my GPS. Have been on the road many times over the last 33 years. It appears that if you have enough money, a good film crew you can make it all good great. Was in New Zealand and I saw the Yellowknife Ice Show. All I say is yes these things happen but they be made "great" with the right film editor. For example one of the guys with out to cut a hole in the ice so that ???? maybe Jessie's motorcycle would go into it with the film crew at the ready. Its the Survivor all over again. A number of guys from Inuvik have driven the ice road over the years, but I guess they could not afford a film crew. And then Hubert did it all by himself, and no helicopter. http://alaska.derrickandlove.net/HUBERT%20TRIP.htm
  4. JESSEJAMES

JESSEJAMES vanilla gorilla

Oddometer:

You spelled my name wrong.......

[​IMG]
  5. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    :bow

now that's a fuckin beamer
  6. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Geez, looks like a flock of seagulls were hovering above that bike. A good wash mitt and water will fix that!
    Steve
  7. leeky bootz

leeky bootz Gravitationaly challenged

Oddometer:
    ok Jesse....nice teaser
    need more pics

:lurk
  8. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    also need to see it scratched and banged up, it wouldn't be an adventure bike any other way :evil
  9. kahoon

kahoon who's yer daddy??

Oddometer:
  10. ve8nc

ve8nc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Taken from the Drum

"Canada's Northern Territories province (sic) is known for its treacherous, deadly ice roads that claim motorists' lives every year," reads the release. "Jesse James will become the first person to ride a motorcycle in the -60 C temperatures on the infamous Ice Highway that connects the small towns of Inuvik and Aklavik braving an Arctic night along the way."

Wrong - never -60C Wrong - lots of people have done it.

Inuvik group on the ice

[​IMG]

Hubert in the Dempster

[​IMG]

Hubert on the ice

[​IMG]
  11. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    And don't forget, Hubert Kreigel did it alone, and camped out on the ice as well, as in tented. And right now his world travels continue with his current plans to do the road of bones in the winter!!http://www.thetimelessride.com/
    Steve
  12. B.C.Biker

B.C.Biker mighty fine

Oddometer:
    I read about a guy riding to Tuk just after the Dempster opened in the late 70's. Back when Cycle Canada was still a tabloid. So its been done and the t-shirt is worn out. If memory serves he was from Whitehorse and on a BMW. Can't remmber his name to give him proper credit. A Californian millionaire doing it doesn't make me want to hump his leg. That being said if he wanted me to ride his back-up bike for him I would do it for beer and gas money.:1drink
  13. The Vert

The Vert Banned

Oddometer:
    California millionaires have been getting a bad rap for a long time. It's high time we give them the respect that they deserve. Especially JJ, he's a dynOmite guy and is only compensating for his freakish disfigurement. Show a little class.
  14. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    kudos on the history lesson brother, been following Jesse's career since the begining, he's definately earned every single fuckin penny.
    :thumb
  15. The Vert

The Vert Banned

Oddometer:
    So, how does one go from "A California millionaire doing it doesn't make me want to hump his leg" to whether he earned every penny or not. :dunno The question of why somebody would need to clarify their position on the leg humping begs more questions.......one at a time, gentlemen.
  16. B.C.Biker

B.C.Biker mighty fine

Oddometer:
    Yikes, what a crowd this evening! LOL. Hmmm,just saying riding in a place like Tuk or Baja isn't really that difficult or amazing if you live there.(no I don't live up there but have hauled lots on the ice ect.) Kinda like my first trip to the States. Freeways! WTF!? Don't know if you were serious about him "earning everything" but haven't we all? By the way, worship no one.:1drink
  17. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    hey dood, I don't worship anyone other than my Queen :bow
    all I'm saying is that the man has earned his keep and I have a lot of respect for him. I don't appreciate people knocking on his fortune and fame that's just wrong and miserable.
    No, I don't care if he's the first or the last to have achieved running the ice highway, it's just cool that's all.

:lobby
  18. woodgrain

woodgrain In-Dented Savant

Oddometer:
    "Fuzzy" Phi Funnel rode the Dempster in the late 70's on a blue R60/7 with a disc brake modification on the rear wheel. I imagine a much younger man who doesn't have Phils' bum right leg should be able to do it. This is all old news. He also rode a Ural sidecar rig across Canada in the winter, around the same time period,(late70's) and switched off to Dave Hannigan because of health reasons. Dave and the rig ended up at the then yearly motorcycle show in Toronto.

Woodgrain
  19. velosprocket

velosprocket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So the ice roads are open to the public?
  20. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    That guy in the photo on the cover of the "Drum" is one of the big contractors up there, he builds the ice roads if I am correct....and is into a lot of the trucking etc up there ....I spoke to him briefly when I was in Inuvik back in June. Its cool to see he rides, and hey ! if they are gonna make a tv show out of it, what the hell. If I had cable....I would probably watch it.....