Jim creek

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by tomandreann, Jul 29, 2019.

1. tomandreann

tomandreann Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you ride up to the glacier on a bike? There are specific signs at Eklutna that say no motorcycles. Looking for more dirt rides than just Hatcher Pass and Denali hwy, closer to Eagle River. I’ve also done McCarthy and Nabesna, and of course Top of the world on the way to D2D a couple of times. What dirt rides do you do in the Anchorage area?
  2. quentin80

quentin80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've never gone to Knik glacier on a bike but have done it a handful of times on wheelers. People do it all the time but your gonna definitely have some water crossings at Jim and Friday creek as well as other spots, these crossings vary greatly through the season and year to year.

Eklutna trail is open to atvs half the week, can never remember what days maybe Sunday through Wednesday? I assume on those days motorcycles would be good but not sure as I've only taken quads on that trail.
    JagLite likes this.
  3. AKmud

AKmud Muddy Gruver

Oddometer:
    Done it many times on a dirt bike. It would definitely be an adventure on a big ADV bike.
    JagLite likes this.
  4. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    thats a ride you generally do spring/fall. mid summer the river comes up & even crossing Jim Cr gets tricky. then theres Wolf Point & Metal creek. the water is really high right now. I was there a week ago with the hovercraft & nobody was crossing the Jim

Hatcher, Ballanger Pass, Permanente Road, Purches Creek, the road up by Hope (forgot the name.... Coeur d'alene?)

there are other places but we do not speak their names in public
    JagLite likes this.
  5. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really think that any place you can ride a snowmachine you can ride a bike, in 2009 I bought my 1200GS and I was looking for places to ride off road I queried this site and got the usual BS rides but being obstinate like I am I took my brand new 1200 GS and headed up to Eureka to try a road that I've used during the winter with my snowmachine. Three or four miles past Eureka I pulled off stashed my panniers in the weeds took a gps reading on them and headed up the trail. I got up as far as four corners on the trail system before I realized that I didn't have a cell phone and I was completely alone and no one knew where I was. And my brain took over and I decided to turn around and drive out. That was the best ride I had ever done on the 1200.

Check out this guy the movie is taken directly behind wasilla in the Purches Creek Area

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QkLDUx6wFA&t=113s
    JagLite likes this.
  6. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    JagLite likes this.
  7. Beezer

Oddometer:
    and get used having the trails all fucked up by ATVs. there will be two parallel ruts. if its flat ground they will be full of water... pick one, and if there is a puddle, stay in your rut... if you try to ride the center eventually you will get one wheel left and one wheel right. when it turns boggy, there will be a quagmire. when it's so bad that ATVs cant cross, they cut another path. and then another, and another, and another
    JagLite likes this.
  8. tomandreann

tomandreann Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replies!
  9. tomandreann

tomandreann Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How do you get to the start of this trail?
  10. tomandreann

tomandreann Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking around, just remembered Archangel road off Hatcher Pass. Anyone done that on a bike?
    JagLite likes this.
  11. quentin80

quentin80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The main trailhead for baldy is off of shrock rd in Wasilla, don't remember road names but I believe its first road on right past the little su bridge then a right at the T. Trailhead on left? You could do some searching online or google earth it for exact directions.

I personally wouldn't recommend that trail for a bigger klr. Pretty good size rocky climbs to get up there. Of course everyone's talent and experience is different.
    JagLite likes this.
  12. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Archangel is really a biking and hiking trail and you can only go so far, try Burma Road in big lake
    JagLite likes this.
  13. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't let them scare you, go as far as comfortable and then turn around. Then go ahead and try it again it's all throttle control
    JagLite and tomandreann like this.
  14. quentin80

quentin80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If by them you mean me, not trying to scare anyone, just giving an opinion, the places he mentioned hes ridden are roads/dirt roads, not rough hunting trails. A rider would need to be pretty experienced off road to take a bike like a klr up that mountain imo. Looks like he's got a first gen klr which could be a little more dirt friendly I guess?

It is a cool trail, if you do go up I'd recommend checking out the memorialized bomber that's up there, crashed tragically around xmas 1956 if I remember correctly.
    Cheers
    JagLite likes this.
  15. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You’ll never get better if you just ride graded dirt roads. Dirt roads have washes and ruts in them. Helga Pederson Road the Darrian Gap with a BMW R80 because no one told him it was impossible I think every trail in possible you just have to try it. I rode cross country to four corners on the Eureka trail system on a big adventure bike you have to give it a go

I corrected the size of the bike
    JagLite likes this.
  16. Beezer

Oddometer:
    Archangel is a road you can drive your car on. I think the biking and hiking trail off that is closed to motorized. another interesting one at Hatcher is Craggie Creek. over the top & down to Lucky Shot/War Baby area... can't miss it... it turns back to the north (and east). there is another shorter and easier one that goes to some buildings thats just over the top and through a couple switchbacks. its between summit and Craggie... anybody can do that one. Craggie creek on the other hand gets rough in places and ends in steep switchbacks that climb the side of the mountain to the top (in a couple places)
    JagLite and Alaskahack like this.
  17. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is also a neat trail that takes off from the wooden bridge, a lot of folks think that its steel but actually wood there is a parking lot there a little further down the road is a newish hotel looking building there is a trail there that climbs some ridges and provides good views Going in willow side of Hatcher
  18. tomandreann

tomandreann Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It didn’t look so bad in the video, maybe the video is deceiving? I’ve got some dirt trail riding experience from being on a kdx200 back in the day...20 yrs ago! So my body may not respond as it did then. I’ve got upgraded springs front and rear, tkc80s, crash bars, and a 14T that I install for trails on my gen1.
    JagLite likes this.
  19. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's not that bad I've been up and over the top a half a dozen times with a large bore snowmachine, you can also get up there from the hatcher pass road, but the water right now is to deep. As with all climbs there is a way up without being two agressive.

If you would like I could show you were some of these places are at Send me a PM
    tomandreann and JagLite like this.
  20. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, it is just a nice dirt road that is passable by any car.