Jim creek

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by tomandreann, Jul 29, 2019.

1. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Palmer Creek near Hope is a nice scenic ride, but not challenging at all, another car accessible road.
  2. JagLite

Oddometer:
    :imaposer

I've tried to ride some of the snow machine trails in the summer and they are fine until you come to a low spot that is now a bog.
    Many of the trails cross ponds, lakes, bogs, swamps, and other areas that are fine when frozen.
    If the trail doesn't go into a low area it should be possible but everywhere I've tried so far only goes so far before dropping into a low area bog.

The last one I attempted required me to get some heavy branches to lay my bike on its side on so that I could drag one end at a time a few feet back to the solid trail.
    Fortunately my DR only managed about 10 feet into the innocent looking grass meadow that swallowed the wheels until the bike was sitting sunk below the axles.

Maybe an atv could get through there... maybe, but I have managed to get stuck on my 650 Kawasaki Prairie in 4WD with big tires. :becca
    Good thing I had a winch. :knary
  3. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, there are no dirt rides in or even close to Anchorage. :(

Jim Creek area is the closest I believe and once out in the valley there are a few trails as well as many dirt roads to explore.
    I've checked out a couple of recommended powerline trails but they were all posted no trespassing.
    I use Google Earth to look at potential areas and roads, and even a few atv trails that are hard to find.
    (That's how I find the No Trespassing signs usually, when I go there to explore)

If you want to attempt riding to the glacier from Jim Creek be sure to go with someone in a side-by-side or at least an atv so that they can cross the river ahead of you and check depth. And they can rescue you and your bike if... :muutt
  4. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Eklutna specifically states NO MOTORCYCLES, even on atv days. :dirtdog
    quentin80 and Alaskahack like this.
  5. quentin80

quentin80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's bizarre. I wonder what possibly the logic behind that could be? Maybe they were initially thinking of loud 2 stroke dirtbikes
  6. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    and yes, Eklutna is closed to motorcycles. ATV... Ok, MC... no. I got stories, fuck them guys.
    AK650 and Tom S like this.
  7. quentin80

quentin80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cruised out to jim creek last night mainly to see how the silver run was looking. Water in the river and the creek have come down a lot since 2-3 weeks ago.
    image.jpeg
    tomandreann likes this.
  8. Beezer

Oddometer:
    was there yesterday... watch where you cross. saw 3 under water
    JagLite likes this.
  9. JagLite

Oddometer:
    3 what?

:hide

Bodies?
    Fish?
    ATV's?
    Motorcycles?
    Jeeps?
    Tourists?

:hmmmmm
    quentin80 likes this.
  10. Beezer

Oddometer:
    trucks. one trying to cross the "creek" at the manmade (swimming hole). two at the first creek by the bridge on the Palmer side (Bodenberg Creek). all 3 took enough water to kill the engine mid stream. one guy got the engine started again (after about a 1 minute grind on the starter) and drove out (he had about 100 gallons of water in the floorboards though). one guy was hydro locked & was towed out. the other guy was just dead in the water & was being winched when I left. dunno what happened but he had a diesel so I imagine it was death to that engine. all that entertainment in the space of about 30-40 minutes

and ya, one was a Jeep Patriot... he got the re-start & drove out. I watched with interest because I have one too. and BTW, the intake is right at the top of the hood
    JagLite likes this.
  11. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Don’t do it Beezer! Come over for a glass of wine instead!
    Beezer likes this.
  12. JagLite

Oddometer:
    I rode at Jim Creek yesterday and it was fantastic! :ricky

It is dry. :yikes

Impossible you say? :dirtdog

Yep, it was like a totally different place to ride. :scratch
    I would guess that I hadn't ridden 90% of the trails before because the low spots were always standing pools of water and slippery hard mud.
    Actually, most of the trails were like standing rivers between the banks of trees every time I've ridden there.

The only mud/water I found yesterday was by the river, in the main road area.
    I even rode through one of the big pools for fun.

I had no idea there were so many trails in there. :wings

Lots of roots crossing the trails to hop over, that would be invisible in the muddy water, that would slide your front tire sideways and down you would go.
    :muutt

There are so many neat, narrow, uphill, downhill, twisty trails that are an easy challenge and beautiful scenery with all the leaves changing color and carpeting the trails.
    Yellow and gold leaves on the ground? :fpalm

It really is fall? NOoooooooo! :becca

If you can, go ride the trails before it rains again. :thumb :ricky
    AKDuc, UncleRandy and quentin80 like this.
  13. quentin80

quentin80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How did the fishing look out there?
  14. JagLite

Oddometer:
    I saw three guys fishing but didn't stop to see if anything was happening. :dunno
  15. dirtdoug

dirtdoug Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not Matsu Valley but...I took my quad up crown point last year.... would like to try to get my Super Tenere up there but I'm afraid the blue beast might need some better nobbies before I attempt that trail....and maybe a little diet as well. Crown point trail is just pass Moose Pass.
    JagLite likes this.
  16. Beezer

Oddometer:
    shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh