Jimmy Lewis offroad classes

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by fishslapr, Mar 27, 2018.

1. fishslapr

fishslapr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of signing up for a weekend class. Anyone with firsthand knowledge?

thanks in advance!
  2. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    I've never taken the class but have never heard any complaints of the many who have.

Enjoy.
    fishslapr likes this.
  3. Chaostrophy

Chaostrophy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ask in the NOOB rally thread? They had a class beforehand.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    NSFW and fishslapr like this.
  4. fishslapr

fishslapr Long timer

Oddometer:
    good idea! thanks
  5. nrvale0

nrvale0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did one several years ago when I was just getting into dirt. At least at that time the drills were pretty standard but also pretty appropriate places to start for a noob. Jimmy et al are characters so it was worth it just for entertainment value. It also certainly appears as though he's doing as much as one person can to preserve/promote offroad racing in the US West so if you are going to support someone Jimmy seems like a good investment. I live too far away to get involved but its probably a good intro into Taste of Dakar and a bunch of other events he either coordinates or participates in.

Thumbs up here.
    Steve-O, MotoSkipper, NSFW and 2 others like this.
  6. fishslapr

fishslapr Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks!
  7. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    In my opinion, it's worth every penny. Jimmy is an excellent teacher (and as mentioned is one of the strongest advocates for all of us that ride offroad in keeping riding areas open). It's all about balance, balance, balance! And then proper use of controls (throttle, clutch, brakes) to keep traction to the wheels. Then more balance!

Go for it!!!
  8. fishslapr

fishslapr Long timer

Oddometer:
    youze guyz talked me into it!
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  9. scyth3s

scyth3s Danger Dan

Oddometer:
    I haven't taken one of his classes, but I have seen him do a "tutorial/demo" kinda thing at Death Valley Noobs Rally that was meant as sort of an ad for his class. He clearly knows what he's talking about, and even just from that, I was able to adopt some of his techniques and such and they were very helpful on the rides I've done since.

10/10 would suggest you do it.
    fishslapr and NSFW like this.
  10. ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne I got my wings back. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm just getting my feet wet with riding on dirt. Also interested. Cheers.
  11. Samtech79

Samtech79 Two wheeled lunatic

Oddometer:
    Noobs rally. Dude can walk the walk.
    Even got himself a nice little surprise of a hidden hole at the top of dug out gravel pit, he worked a big adventure bike out of it and then dropped back into it in a pretty steep spot.
    He also talked up how to stand and what balance actually means.
    I'd take a class from him... if I didn't blow all my money getting to and from the rally
  12. fishslapr

fishslapr Long timer

Oddometer:
    ok doods. Talked me into it. riding out early tomorrow for a weekend class... will report with pics...
  13. tilliejacques

tilliejacques Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went to the class a few years ago and it was a great class and he's a great teacher.

I recommend to really try all the exercises, especially during the free practice time in the quarry (or whatever it is). Lots of peeps in my class didn't try things , I don't know why but they didn't. :dunno. Jimmy et al were watching and would ride right to help you one on one if they saw anyone in trouble or doing something not according to what he taught. Listen for the Moto horn beeping away! :lol3

I also recommend to take a few minutes each evening to write down notes. I tried to write stuff down on the drive back but had already forgotten stuff.
  14. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    The most experienced, complete teacher in our sport. His racing experience and Dakar accomplishments go without saying. Besides teaching his own classes he also does Horizons Unlimited events and others. He also is a journalist and most don't know he organizes the King of the Motos and many other events including the Rebelle rally. I have yet to make one his navigation classes but it is on the top of my list.
    fishslapr and Chaostrophy like this.
  15. fishslapr

fishslapr Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a great weekend! Learned so much! a lot of it being the fact that 80% of what I self taught myself 40 yrs ago was 99% wrong! It's gonna take a lot of training to break myself of what has become instinct. Incorrect instinct. I REALLY wish I woulda read this reply before going, notes would have been a VERY good idea! A girl that was taking the class looked to be taking extensive notes, I exchanged #s with her, this gave me the idea of offering to take her & her partner out to dinner for a copy of her notes!

Another major thing I figgrd out was I need to get serious about getting in better shape if I want to do any serious riding. I was SO close to toast at the end of the second day!
  16. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    This reminds me of when I used to go camping with my dad as a kid. He'd always remind me to leave the can opener at home. That way he could target nice looking female campers and send me over to their camp to ask for a can opener.
    :lol3

Glad you had a good time. Good luck with the exercise stuff. :nah :loco
    refokus and fishslapr like this.
  17. fishslapr

fishslapr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Smart man, that dad of yours!
  18. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    His classes are bucket list territory for me

:thumb
    fishslapr likes this.
  19. fishslapr

fishslapr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna make a serious effort to finally get my fat ass a little less fat & a lot more into shape. A shape much less round. During that time I am gonna implement what I learned, practice, practice. practice. Drill drill drill. Then this fall (which is the best time of year there weather wise) get back out there & get schooled again. I really want to be able to ride at the level I did (or close to it) when I was 22/23 yrs old.

I have stolen your sig line about hunting ducks with a rake! use it a lot!
  20. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    Yeah, in motorcycling there isn’t much substitute for just riding all the time, practicing all the time. Even when I was racing a lot going to the gym didn’t really seem to help me much except for cardio.

I’ve Heard it said many many times, and it’s completely true and that’s “there is no substitute for seat time.“

Unfortunately for me now, I’m going to have to wait until my kids get to be a lot older before I can really dedicate any significant amount of time to becoming a better rider... and by then I probably won’t care anymore

:lol3

Sent from my iPhone using because I'm probably bored somewhere
    fishslapr likes this.