JimRides... from Northern Cumbria in the UK

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JimRidesThis, Mar 13, 2016.

1. pictish ratter

pictish ratter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a thought your old AT might be re registered as it was going to ireland and it has a irish plate either that or its in southern ireland which is EU laws and thats why you cant find it ??
  2. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    I had lots of fun with my GS. The day after I bought it I took it up to see a mate (the one who gifted me the Suzuki GS750) and he said “I thought it was a tractor coming up the road”. I synced the throttle bodies (they were way out) did a few other bits and pieces that week and went to see him again. He said “That sounds better, I wasn’t joking when I said it sounded like a tractor” :D I can’t recall all the stuff I did to it apart from a new clutch just before I went to Austria. Oh, and the Odyssey battery upgrade - the best £££s I ever spent on it.

Overall, I liked the way it was screwed together and found it pretty simple to work on. IMHO I think they’re the best of the oil cooled GS line in that respect. They didn’t seem to suffer the final drive woes that seemed to be a feature of the 1150s.

That’s entirely possible. I had a car from N.I. many years ago - reg no MIA 6313. The brakes used to go M.I.A. regularly so I guess it was an appropriate registration!

I’d like to think my old AT is still out there somewhere, I was a great bike.

[​IMG]
    I can’t remember the name of this track/pass in Northern Italy, but the altitude at this point was a smidgen over 10,000ft and the temperature 38 degrees Celsius. July 2006.
  3. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    This bloomin’ cold’s got the better of me again, so at 4.44am here’s the next instalment.

April 2012

The XT250 was a smashing little bike but I was hankering for a bigger single leading me to swap this...

[​IMG]

for this...

[​IMG]

... a 1984/5 XL600R in need of a total strip and rebuild. You can read the full build thread if you’re interested, but here’s how it finished up...

[​IMG]

These things are a real hoot to ride :-), especially when the second carb kicks in :rofl. I got to ride it around Scotland and The Lake District...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And did a few ‘lightweight’ local camping trips...

[​IMG]

In 2017/18, for some forgotten reason, I reluctantly sold it to a young lad who managed get about 20 miles on it before wrecking the top end - youngsters these days just have no mechanical sympathy! Only an hour or so after riding off, he was on the phone begging me to take it back and, with an appropriate cash adjustment, that’s what I did. Great, had MY XL6 back! :thumb

Mrs JRT’s only comment was “obviously you’re meant to keep this one” :-) I don’t know how or why she puts up with me sometimes.

I’ve still got the Honda. The rolling chassis is sat outside, if it were daylight I could see it from where I’m sat. The engine’s in the workshop. As well as the bits and pieces needed to rebuild it - a replacement head, valves, camchain, tensioner, gaskets, etc. etc., there were a couple of things I wasn’t satisfied with first time round, so I’m tackling those this time. In fact, I’ve got nearly everything I need and it’ll get some attention once the Buell’s back together. :wings

More soon.

cmcteir, B10Dave and Shaggie like this.
  4. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Summertime an’ the livin’ is easy (the Janis Joplin / Big Brother and the Holding Company version :D)

To be honest, much as I liked it, I was looking for something lighter than the 1100GS. Back issues had taken a turn for the worse and manhandling the beast up and down my driveway (which at the time resembled a Somme-like battlefield) really wasn’t helping. I’d been up to Scotland in the autumn of 2015 and had a great trip...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Does my bum look big in this?

...and on the way back got talking to a guy riding a Yamaha TDM900. I’d had a couple of 850’s and loved them (well, one of them anyway), so I sold the GS and went TDM hunting. I found one for sale at a dealer in Blackpool. You can read about that trip here.

[​IMG]

I still have the TDM and have no plans to sell it. For me it’s just about the perfect motorcycle. Fast enough, comfortable enough, economical enough... you get the picture.

Last year I also acquired the Buell...

[​IMG]

...which, I am pleased to report, is now back together and running as sweetly as an unbalanced 45 degree V Twin does. I’m hoping to take it for it’s MOT (annual safety inspection) this weekend.

So, in the stable (literally, my workshop is a stable) I have the TDM, the Buell and the XL600R. I wonder what the next 10 years will bring?

Safe riding everyone and I hope to meet at least some of you on the road :thumb
  5. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope so too mate :wave
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  6. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that would be great :D. Some time in NZ has been on my bucket list for years. Somehow I have to make it happen!
    Shaggie likes this.
  7. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    I forgot one!

Around 2014/15 I was browsing the UK TDM forum and there was a Mk1 TDM for sale in South Wales. It was pretty cheap and no one was biting, not even me. The price kept dropping until it reached £350. I bought it sight unseen forgetting rule No1 - a cheap bike is never a cheap bike! And rule No2 - never buy a bike sight unseen! :csm

I hired a trailer and made the long, long trip down to Neath. I’d not been to South Wales before but I can see why folk rave about the roads down there, lots of twisties and great views, it’s a lovely place. Anyway, I rocked up in Neath to be greeted by a man of God - Reverend3VD (not his real name, but he was an ordained Minister - that was a first... never bought a bike off a vicar before). He was a really nice bloke with a chequered past before he’d joined the church. Kind of reminded me of a snippet of a Cheech & Chong sketch “I used to be all messed up on drugs. Now I’m all messed up on The Lord”. Now, I’m definitely not a religious type, my faith is in science, but the Rev and I spent a couple of hours chewing the fat, telling biking stories, etc. you know the score. Just as it was getting dark I tied the TDM on the trailer, was blessed by the Rev (another first) and headed for home. I made it as far as Merthyr Tydfil and then spent the next two hours following a road closure diversion only to end up near where I’d started. Two hours! Perhaps God was trying to tell me something :doh Eventually I made it out of Wales around midnight (never thought it was going to happen!) thoroughly knackered and blagged lodgings for the night with my mate Fewtrees, in Cheshire.

In the cold light of day the bike needed more work than I’d anticipated... what a surprise!,
    but I got it there in the end. However, somehow it didn’t have the cache of my first Mk1 and I sold it not long before buying the 900. It’s now been totally rebuilt and is knocking about the Liverpool area with its new owner :thumb

[​IMG]

IMHO the Mk1 TDM850 is still the best looking of all TDMs. I remember seeing one in BIKE magazine when they first came out in ‘91. I knew I’d have one one day.

Okay, that’s enough of the past (unless I’ve forgotten another one) :wave from here on in it’s the present and the future :ricky

For definite: I’ve a ticket for the Scottish Motorcycle Show in early March. The annual run up to Inveranan with the Sunderland Posse in early April.

Possible: Mrs JRT seems keen on a summer tour down into France. The Alps? The Tarn Gorge? Who knows...

cmcteir, B10Dave and Shaggie like this.
  8. pistonbroke 66

pistonbroke 66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a wonderfully witty and well written thread this is, I'll watch your further tales with interest sir! :-)
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  9. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Why thank you. It’s good to know someone’s enjoying my efforts.

What are you riding @pistonbroke 66? That sounds a bit formal, may I call you piston?
    TheBritAbroad likes this.
  10. pistonbroke 66

Oddometer:
    The username stems from my teens.....we were either one or the other! The rest of the family call me Jeremy!I’ve new royal Enfield interceptor 650 , a 1978 Honda 400/4 and currently trying to decide on a adventure style bike to do some gentle touring, probably Scotland way. I’ve a chance of a NX650 dominator that a pal is ‘loosening’ from his collection that I hope to see over the weekend.
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  11. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Buell update: it’s passed it’s MOT today and is once again road legal :D

Ooh yes, Domi’s are lovely bikes :thumb - show us pics when (not if) you get it :D
    B10Dave likes this.
  12. cmcteir

cmcteir Adventurer

Oddometer:

Always good news when you get a fresh ticket :wings my MOT is up at the end of the month, so back to the garage on the 1st of March or thereabouts. Lots of work done to the old bus during the winter and she's running and riding like a sewing machine again. Really looking forward to putting the miles in again this year - will need to get down to your part of the world again, its been too long.
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  13. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Yep, that’s my plan this year... lots more mile than last year!

How about a meet-up for a coffee somewhere when the weather picks up?
  14. cmcteir

cmcteir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan, i'll pm you my number and we can sort something out
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  15. carlosthejackal

carlosthejackal Gentleman traveller

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim,
    Just found your thread. I've enjoyed reading it. Lots of inspiration to get out and explore when I get the chance.
    I'm not really familiar with the south and west parts of Scotland, I spent quite a bit of time exploring the north east and far north when I lived up there.
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  16. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Hello and welcome @carlosthejackal. SW Scotland is a relatively under-rated gem, some great roads and scenery - just don’t tell anyone :D. True, it doesn’t compare to the Highlands for ‘the spectacular’ and therefore most tourists bypass it while heading further north. That’s okay though, it’s left the roads relatively free of traffic in summer so far.

If this run of wet, stormy weather would break, I’d be taking a ride over that way myself. Roll on spring and summer! :ricky
    carlosthejackal likes this.
  17. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    An Actual Alliteration Alert!

I took a solo trip out to the Scottish Motorcycle Show in Edinburgh today. The weather was bad so I took the car on the 250 mile round trip. It was a good show this year, lots of interesting bikes to goggle at and I really enjoyed having a good old rummage around without the pressure of companions. Here are just a few of my favourites...

[​IMG]
    A basically brand new DrBig

[​IMG]
    A tried, trusted and tired TDM850 :D

[​IMG]
    A Terrific Triumph Hurricane :D:D

[​IMG]
    An intruiging, if incomplete, Indian engine (say that five times fast)

[​IMG]
    A luscious Laverda Mirage

[​IMG]

... and a gorgeous Guzzi LeMans

cmcteir, B10Dave, rdtz and 1 other person like this.
  18. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Well, any motorcycle travel plans are well and truly scuppered for the time being. All being well I should have been up in Scotland for a spring tour this last weekend. I was able to connect with the Sunderland posse via WhatsApp, but to be honest it wasn’t the same without a ride out, a few beers and a cheese board finale!

By way of entertainment during lockdown and social isolation I’m going to get on with rebuilding my XL600R which I’ll document hereabouts...

[​IMG]
    XL600R in happier times - pre lockdown and actually running!

Stay tuned and stay safe!
    B10Dave likes this.
  19. pistonbroke 66

Oddometer:
    Thank you, will watch with interest

coupled with the fact I’ve bugger all else to do! :lol2
  20. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Ha! I’ll send you the frame to rub down and prep if you want :D
    TheBritAbroad likes this.