JimRides... from Northern Cumbria in the UK

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JimRidesThis, Mar 13, 2016.

1. pistonbroke 66

pistonbroke 66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    aaaah thanks jim, the wife’s just found me some ‘essential’ DIY.

and there was me all ready to start on the frame......:photog
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  2. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    The Diary of an Idiot

Here we go then, the XL600R refurbishment.

First, why? Well, in the wise words of Led Zeppelin ‘it’s nobody’s fault but mine’. After I built this thing up from a bunch of parts - detailed here - I obviously didn’t torque down one of the camshaft sprocket bolts fully. Over the course of the following 1500 miles or so, it gradually backed itself out until one day it backed itself right into a corner... ...a corner of the cylinder head!

Leaving the niceties of quantum theory out of this sorry tale, apparently the laws of classical physics do not appear to allow two bits of dense matter to occupy the same portion of spacetime. Who’d-a thought it!

Much carnage ensued up here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously, being first in the firing line, the camchain bought it, taking out the camchain tensioner, followed in double-quick time by the camshaft sprocket which was now doing its best impression of an egg and a banana all at once...

[​IMG]
    The sprocket is egg shaped, not round and there are quite a few stress fractures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Do you think some heat and a hammer might fix it?

Within milliseconds the camshaft also laid down its life, all in the cause of a good bust up!

[​IMG]
    Might need a weld and dressing with a file I suspect :D

Not wanting to be left out of the party, the exhaust valves decided to gate crash the scene...

[​IMG].

The top end came off and not knowing where all the shrapnel landed I decided a complete strip down was in order. And that was where
    I made my second mistake.

...to be continued

Shaggie, Nicknewb and B10Dave like this.
  3. pistonbroke 66

Oddometer:
    Blimey jim that ate itself in spectacular fashion mon ami!
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  4. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Well, there’s no point in half measures is there. On the plus side, I won’t forget to torque it down next time :D. Loctite 243 is at the ready too. :lol2

BTW, did you get the Dominator, Jeremy? I thought I saw that you had on another thread somewhere.
  5. pistonbroke 66

Oddometer:
    I did mate, just in time for lockdown! :jack
  6. pistonbroke 66

Oddometer:
    9F2309CB-AAAB-484B-8D26-4BEC7214D7F0.jpeg
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  7. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
  8. pistonbroke 66

Oddometer:
    Thanks jim. One owner and only done 4500 miles so it’s mint. The carb needed cleaning and now it’s just needs a few miles to loosen it up, clearly that will have to wait a while longer!
    I only managed a brief 30 mile run before lockdown and it rode very well albeit the back brake is more for looks than use :lol3
    It even came with the service book fully stamped, all in all quite a time warp of a machine for something 25 years old.
  9. pistonbroke 66

Oddometer:
    B82BFD55-F10F-4739-9267-27C221C4736C.jpeg
    rrpaigs22 and B10Dave like this.
  10. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    What a find! That’s got to be a keeper, it looks like it’s just come out of the showroom. What year is it?
  11. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Diary of an Idiot - Part 2.

At some point in 2018, in an uncharacteristic display of energetic proactivity, I stripped the engine down completely and made a shopping list of the new or
    replacement bits needed:
    • Cylinder head (though I could have renovated the old one)
    • Camshaft and sprocket
    • Cam chain
    • Cam chain tensioner
    • Cam bearings
    • Main bearings (just because they’ve taken a big shock)
    • Full gasket and seal set
    • Piston circlip (fortunately the piston itself was okay, not even a witness mark from the bent exhaust valve and, yes, the conrod isn’t bent).
    There were a few other small bits and pieces too but I’ve long since forgotten what.

A replacement cylinder head came from eBay with a haul of bonus items not in the listing... a brand spanking new camshaft and camshaft bearings and a good used cam chain tensioner! What a result!
    In fact the only thing that proved elusive was the cam sprocket which I eventually got sent over from the States where these XL’s seem to be quite common.

I then committed the cardinal sin of packing the completely stripped engine into a number of boxes and, much more characteristically, doing nothing about anything for eighteen months. Idiot move.

And then we moved house! Idiot status confirmed.

Fast forward to a few days ago and I dragged everything out to get on with rebuilding the engine only to find the new cam chain has eloped with, of all things, the 1st gear countershaft bush - a strange pairing! My credit card has now rekindled its costly relationship with CMSNL and Brooks Bike Barn and new parts are on the way. Therefore I expect to find the existing parts in the next few days.

That brings things up to earlier this week and the beginnings of an engine build :nod

...to be continued :D

Shaggie, Nicknewb and B10Dave like this.
  12. pistonbroke 66

Oddometer:
    i think it is a keeper jim, it’s 1995 year manufacture.
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  13. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Diary of an Idiot - Part 3.

Where were we? Oh yes, rebuild about to commence ...

I’ve ordered the bits I need but, as of today, nothing’s arrived. That’s not a big deal because I’ve got lots to do around the place (and I’ve been practicing my archery skills (sic) with a new recurve bow :D).

Last weekend I dragged the boxes of XL parts off the shelves in the workshop. I’m going to build the bottom end ‘short’ - with as little as possible on the clutch and stator side of the motor. For those not in the know, you have to have the complete top end on before you put the engine back in. For ease of handling I’ll leave everything off the engine that can be put on when it’s in the frame.

The crankcases were a bit dusty and scruffy so I gave them a good clean-up and dried them out/warmed them up overnight on the Rayburn...

[​IMG]

...then masked off the gasket surfaces...

[​IMG]

...before laying on three coats of VHT satin black. Then back on the Rayburn to cure :D.

[​IMG]

At that point, there was nothing to do but pop in the new main, balance shaft and gearbox bearings, and drop in the crank, balance shaft and gearbox...

[​IMG]

...and it was at this point I discovered the 1st gear countershaft bush had gone AWOL.

While I’m waiting to the bush and camchain to arrive I really should lap the valves in on the replacement head and lay some VHT paint on the barrel, head and cam cover.

...to be continued.
    Shaggie and B10Dave like this.
  14. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    I’d value your opinion.

Currently my XL is finished in Honda Rio Red, courtesy of the old Halfords maracas. It’s been knocked about and the frame at least would benefit from refinishing. What colour though? I’m not too worried about originality as I’ll be doing some modifications on this build anyway. I could do it red again? Or possibly black frame with a white tank and plastics?

Any ideas for alternative colour schemes or should I refinish as is? At the moment, I’m sitting on the fence :augie

<EDIT> It might be a bit premature, but I’ll keep a scoreboard here:

1. Red: 10 (Brucifer)
    2. Black & White: 2 (B10Dave, Shaggie, )
    3. Shock Pink!: 0
    4. ?

15. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate red; so the black and white would be my choice. But it's your bike....:scratch
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  16. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    B&W

:wave
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  17. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Hi Shane, hope you and yours are keeping well. Are you grounded?

I’m in favour of B&W myself, if only cause I’ve already got black paint in stock :D You don’t see many XL’s over here and when you do they’re always red.
  18. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not an early XL600R if it isn't red. :D You paint that thing black and white and I'm severing ties with you. :lol2
    I've always loved the red bike and black engine look. But, it's your bike. Do it up how you like. :thumb
    Nicknewb and JimRidesThis like this.
  19. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    In this game, @brucifer holds the trump (x10) card. If it weren’t for him, I probably wouldn’t be in this mess now :jack

Folks, if you want to see what an old XL can look like, check out his thread here - https://advrider.com/f/threads/1984-xl600r-build.761778/

You never know, one day he might even finish it! :jack
    brucifer, dammitdave and B10Dave like this.
  20. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:

Hey Jim

Sadly myself along with around 500 other Kiwi’s are redundant. Virgin Australia having taken the Covid-19 excuse to close both the Christchurch and Auckland bases permanently as of last Friday week ago.

Am absolutely devastated and really unsure of what comes next for me.

Anyhoo , hurry up n paint the bike!!
    Ps @brucifer ‘s red bike looks blooody good!:lol3

Best

S
    brucifer and Kiwi Mick like this.