JimRides... from Northern Cumbria in the UK

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JimRidesThis, Mar 13, 2016.

1. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    Really sorry to hear that Shane, what a bugger. While it’s undoubtedly a rough time for many businesses, I do think some will use the current crisis as an excuse to ‘rationalise’, drive down costs, reduce salaries and working conditions, etc. The only thing that’s certain is the someone, somewhere is making money out of the crisis. I hope you find something soon, but I guess if it’s anything like over here, no one is hiring. Hopefully, once the shock wears off, you can make a positive change from this situation.

On the XL front, getting hold of paint might be a bit of an issue at the moment. On the up side I did get an email from CMSNL to say the bits I ordered have been shipped so I should get them in the next couple of days, then I can get the bottom end buttoned up :thumb.

I have to say though, this rebuild all seems a bit indulgent and insensitive while people like yourself are losing their jobs and others are losing their lives.

Shaggie and B10Dave like this.
  2. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Much appreciated Jim

I may take a job as a high class (and cost!) gigolo.....

You keep on with that bike matey!!!! :clap:thumb

S
    B10Dave and JimRidesThis like this.
  3. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an excellent plan Shane ! :jack

Just remember the social distancing rules, hopefully that won’t effect your earning potential :D
  4. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    The motorcycle mechanic’s foxtrot: one step forward, two steps back...

The (big) step forward is that a new first gear countershaft bush has arrived from CMSNL. And today I got an email saying the camchain has been shipped.Yay!

The first (very minor) step back is that I’ve had to pull the gearbox and selectors out of the case because I forgot to remove the old gear shaft and countershaft oil seals. I know I could have done this with the shafts still in, but it’s a two minute job to remove them and it makes the job less of a faff. I left the old seals in when I sprayed the cases for obvious reasons.

The second (very minor) step back is that I don’t have replacement seals to hand. But I’ve ordered them from Simply Bearings, my goto people for bearings, seals and so forth. They’re winging their way to the JRT homestead via 1st class post! If they’re delivered tomorrow, I should be able to get the cases buttoned up. There will be pictures, so stay tuned.
    Shaggie and cmcteir like this.
  5. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Well, wouldn’t you know it, the Postie delivered my oil seals and camchain today. As I said in the last post, I’d removed the transmission to make putting the new seals in easier...

[​IMG]

Those installed it was time to replace the gear clusters, selectors, selector drum and gear shift, break into the gasket set and drop on the right hand crank case...

Checking through the gears first time revealed a problem - it’d select 1st and neutral but nothing else. Cases apart again and the culprit turned out to be the tiny gear shift return spring that hadn’t seated quite right. The damn thing can only be 0.5 mm thick, but it made all the difference.

[​IMG]

Check out those grey SKF oil seals :D. Simple thing please simple minds :rofl.

So there we have it for tonight.
    Next session - piston, barrel and cam chain and associated gears.

Still to do:
    Sort out the replacement cylinder head.
    Root out a couple of M7 bolts for the cam sprocket (!)
    Refinish the frame (getting any colour paint is proving difficult though).

I’d also like to respoke the wheels and get a pair Pirelli MT21’s for it, but that’s going to have to wait.
  6. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just found this thread this morning and really enjoyed reading through it. I had a planned fly-and-rent motorcycle trip planned for Scotland this May, (from Ontario, Canada) but of course it's cancelled with the current pandemic. It would have been a first time trip to visit the area of western Scotland and Mull, where my ancestors came from, so viewing your photos of western Scotland allowed me to experience a little of that vicariously, so thank you for that.

BTW, the TDM is a real looker with timeless sport touring style.
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  7. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Hey there @pitbull, thanks for the comments. I’m sure once you do manage to get over to Scotland it won’t disappoint. If the restrictions lift in the summer, I’ll be up there camping and my regular trip with the Sunderland posse has been rebooked for September :thumbup
    pitbull likes this.
  8. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    The mechanic’s foxtrot... again!

Where were we? Oh yes, ready for a piston and barrel manoeuvre. Pretty straight forward stuff with no dramas. Piston on with two new circlips...

[​IMG]

For some reason the size of the piston always makes me laugh. It’d be more at home in a lorry :D (that’s a truck for stateside readers).

[​IMG]
    New base gasket, a little bit of Hondabond where the crankcases meet, barrel on and all studs torqued down :thumb

I thought I might as well put the camchain sprocket on the crank, followed by the clutch drive pinion, etc. which is when I discovered this...

[​IMG]

That’s the clutch drive pinion! My guess is that a piece of shrapnel found it’s way down there and took out a tooth. Well, hopefully the clutch basket will be okay...

[​IMG]

Nope! Well that’s a bugger. :doh A clutch basket is relatively easy to find, but the pinion isn’t. I’ve sent emails to a couple of breakers to see if they have one - my fingers are crossed. In the meantime,
    I might as well get on with the cylinder head while I wait for a reply.

9. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    No progress to show but I have been able to find and order a replacement clutch and drive gear :thumb

I intended to get on with refurbishing the replacement head but with such good weather it was decided that we should paint windows and get the veg beds dug over and planted. Too knackered from that to spend time in the workshop in the evenings. Hopefully I’ve built up enough brownie points to sneak in that clutch without too much grief! :wink:
    dammitdave and Shaggie like this.
  10. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Fricassee of Cylinder Head...

1. Inspect the carcass thoroughly for defects...
    [​IMG]

2. Debone and remove any valves and studs...
    [​IMG]

3. Clean head throughly and dress the valves. Put aside for later. Marinade head in VHT satin black. :D
    [​IMG]

4. Bake for 1 hour at 100 degrees. Remove from oven to rest. Add a sprinkling of new valve stem oil seals and top with dressed valves. :loco

Enjoy a cold beer before proceeding to the next step :thumb
    [​IMG]

5. Assemble dish and serve on a bed of freshly rebuilt bottom-end. Garnish with chain guides, drive gears and a new camchain.
    [​IMG]

Serves one. Best enjoyed with another cold beer :super

B10Dave and Nicknewb like this.
  11. pistonbroke 66

pistonbroke 66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    tidy job there jim :beer
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  12. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    It’s coming along nicely, although I am at a stop on the engine at the moment. I’m short of some 8 x 20mm locating dowels for the cam cover. My old cam cover has them in, but they’re absolutely stuck tight. I have some on back order, but I’ll keep trying to get the old ones out.

I managed a short ride out today though :D. I was picking up prescriptions and medicines for a couple of old folk in the village and took a slightly longer way home. Just nice to get out on two wheels.

34A5D4EE-1673-4963-B830-63A4012EB7B8.jpeg
    The back road home :thumb

rrpaigs22 and cmcteir like this.
  13. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    You can leave your hat on...

Now the head's on it's time to put in that brand new cam, and MAKE SURE THOSE TWO CAM SPROCKET BOLTS ARE TORQUED DOWN CORRECTLY AND LOCTITED!!! :trp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice! :clap

(Note to self... Next time read the workshop manual. It would have been easier if you'd installed the camchain tensioner before putting the cylinder head on.)

As I said in my previous post I'm short of the 8 x 20mm locating dowels, but that hasn't stopped me cleaning up the replacement cam cover and cam followers.

[​IMG]

The followers are a more complex arrangement than usual because of the radial valve layout. You can sort of see how the arrangement work here - each cam-follower has a sub-rocker so the angle of pressure on the valve is directly down, thus preventing any lateral forces and subsequent wear on the valve tip. :snore

[​IMG]

I believe Rudge-Whitworth were first to create a mass produced radial valve motorcycle engine sometime in the 1920's and it's been played with by various manufacturers but mainly in prototypes or limited production race engines. The idea is to create a better shape for the combustion chamber, improving gas flow. How much difference it makes I don't know, but I guess it plays a part in making the XL600R the most powerful XL/XR series 600cc engine Honda ever made, producing a heady 44 bhp. :snore:D
  14. ullukk

ullukk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great Thread, just had a pleasurable couple of hours or so reading it, I'm annoyed with myself that it took me 4 years to come across it mind, must have just missed you in September 18, spent a week around Achiltibuie, Altandhu, Lochinver area, didn't get up to Bonnie Scotland last year (apart from quick one night stopover in Annan on route for Cairnryan ferry) so itching to get back up north (Covid permitting) this year, will be leaving fairly late again mind September maybe even early October time, hopefully miss the NC500 crew!! Haha.
  15. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Really pleased you like it @ullukk and thanks for the comment, much appreciated. How’s lockdown in my favourite UK city, Hull? I worked there for the best part of 20 years before moving back to Cumbria and I still miss the place!
    ullukk likes this.
  16. ullukk

ullukk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Jim,
    Thanks for nice comments on Hull mate, it gets its fair share of bad press usually, granted it has got plenty of social problems but on the whole its still not too bad of a place to live, you will know the place well then spending 20 years here, on the subject of lockdown I think Hull isn't doing too bad figure wise on Coronavirus victims compared to a lot of other UK cities, its not all bad been at the end of the road!! Haha!. Cumbria is a lovely place, one of my favourite places to visit in England, have been to your neck of the woods a fair few times over the years and always with fond memories.

Cheers.

Keith.
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  17. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Yes, Hull’s had bad press, that’s for sure. I remember some years ago it came top of a bogus list for the worst place to live in the UK, the personal opinion of someone who’d never even been to the place! Typical.

I really like the place, it has a fascinating history, and the countryside around it too is lovely - big skies. As well as living in Hull when I first moved over there (well, Spring Bank West) I also lived out north on the Yorkshire Wolds - beautiful scenery and brilliant biking roads... but best not tell anyone about that I guess or it’ll get crowded out! The very best thing about Hull IMHO are the people, the most genuinely friendly
    and approachable folk I’ve met anywhere.

Take care,

Jim
    ullukk likes this.
  18. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    While I’m waiting for the locating dowels I thought I might as well take a look at the rolling chassis. As I said in a previous post, my intention is to refinish it but getting hold of the right paint is a real problem at the moment.

First, roll out the rolling chassis (I’d already removed the tank, seat and side panels) -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then the long laborious task of stripping off all the bits and pieces :rofl less than an hour’s leisurely time investment saw it down to this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You’ve got to love these old trail bikes, there’s nowt to them :D

The paint on the frame is chipped in a few places (understatement) and has also developed a serious bloom in visible places. While I’m building the bike to use, I might as well make it look half decent while it’s torn down so I’m not exactly sure what to do now.

I’d prefer to finish it in the same red again (Honda Rio Red), but as I said earlier, getting paint is problematical due to the current lockdown. If I redo the frame in black it’s a far easier proposition but I don’t think the red tank and plastics will look right then. :hmmmmm But there’s no rush, I’ll give the frame a more detailed inspection and make a decision later.

cmcteir, ullukk, rrpaigs22 and 2 others like this.
  19. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    There's an Otis Redding song, 'These Arms of Mine' ...

Now I don't know if Otis was singing about his XL600R swingarm,:hmmmmm but I thought I might as well inspect 'these arms of mine' :D, give them a clean up, re grease the bearings and so forth. First job, strip off the chain guard, etc.

[​IMG]

Which left me with this.

[​IMG]

Not in bad shape but, since I had paint in the workshop and the weather's been so good, I thought I might as well take the opportunity to freshen it up. :0-0
    First order of the day? Key the surface, de-grease and give it the Rayburn 'overnight warm up' treatment.

[​IMG]

Followed by a few coats of rattle-can finest silver.

[​IMG]

I always find the hardest bit about painting motorcycle bits is not to rush the job. Fortunately, lockdown means I'm in no hurry so I've made a point of going easy with the application of paint. I left the arm to harden off on top of the stove for a couple of days before lacquering and I'm really glad I did, because while rooting around in my XL bits and bobs I found an envelope that contained a couple of Pro-Link stickers I must've bought first time round.

And, here's the final result! It's got half a dozen coats of lacquer on it and I'm calling it done. As usual with these things, photos flatter the finish but it's not half bad in real life! I'm really pleased with the result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I was in my modest paint store, I came across a couple of cans of petrol-resistant lacquer. Making the most weather that is ideal for spraying :jkam I decided I might as well refinish the fuel tank too. Again, this wasn't in too bad a shape to start with, but first time round I made a mistake with paint compatibility and one side of the tank had an orange peel finish. I didn't strip the tank this time, but sanded it down flattish and gave it a full can of lacquer - lots of thin coats. I'll leave it for a couple of weeks to properly harden off, give it a flatting with 2000 grit wet and dry, then T-Cut for the final finish. Again, I'm really pleased with the result so far!:smile6

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still no sign of the locating dowels I've ordered, but on the plus side I have tracked down a supply of Rio Red (R-63) aerosol paint for the frame. I'll be ordering a couple of cans on Monday.

:thumb
    Shaggie, rrpaigs22, cmcteir and 3 others like this.
  20. pistonbroke 66

pistonbroke 66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would have been delighted with that tank jim, me and painting are miles apart!
    JimRidesThis likes this.