JimRides... from Northern Cumbria in the UK

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JimRidesThis, Mar 13, 2016.

1. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    I’ll get some images of those areas next time there. Shouldn’t be too long, it’s only 25 minutes from home to Newcastleton by the interesting back roads, less to Kershopefoot ‘cause it’s on the way! :thumb
  2. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  3. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Good to hear from you Shane :thumb How are things down under? Have you found employment?
  4. philipbarrett

philipbarrett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff - thanks for sharing, always enjoy your posts.
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  5. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    In the words of the late Minnie Riperton,

I don't want to go traveling down
    Faster than the speed of sound
    Back down memory lane...

...but this year has been pretty much been a write-off as far as motorcycling is concerned :(. So, in lieu of current biking adventures I thought I’d share what I still regard as one of the best 220 miles of riding I’ve experienced; and that takes us back in time to 2012.

Just a few pictures and a summary rather than a ride report. On this day my pal, Fewtrees, and I rode in three countries - Austria, Italy and Switzerland; and covered four alpine passes - Hahntennjoch, Timmelsjoch, Stelvio and Umbrail plus a good stretch of the Silvrettastrasse. And, in 220 miles I think the longest straight was about 100 yards long :super

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That’ll do :D

popscycle, NSFW, N-Id-Jim and 3 others like this.
  6. cmcteir

cmcteir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks fantastic Jim; i've never ventured to the alps but i can see what i'm missing out on!
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  7. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Yep, riding in the Alps is fantastic, well worth a visit - I’ve only scratched the surface myself. The Pyrenees are brilliant too, and less crowded.

Once we return to something like normal, I’ll be going back for another visit. To whet your appetite further, get hold of a copy of John Hermann’s ‘Motorcycle Journeys through the Alps and beyond’.
  8. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    You live in a lovely part of the country.
    My wife & I spent a month in England late last year. Blanchland had to be one of our highlights
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  9. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    For your information, the workshop sound track for these sessions has mainly been The Warratahs :D

:clap
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  10. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    I thought you might approve Shane :jack
    Shaggie likes this.
  11. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    I can’t argue with that, this is a beautiful area. I feel very lucky to live up here, though there are beautiful places all over the UK.

It’s been years since I visited Blanchland, very pretty. I hope you and your wife enjoyed your time over here :thumb
  12. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Canadian rockers, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, sang about Taking Care of Business many, many moons ago; and for me, taking care of business usually starts (and sometimes ends) with making a list. So here’s my bike fettling list for the colder months. In no particular order...

[​IMG]

Buell
    1. Fix the broken number-plate light. I have several options here including an LED upgrade.
    2. Install the ‘Maz nipple mod’ (oo er!) :-)
    3. Fix leaky fork oil seal on the left-hand fork leg.
    4. Oils and filter change
    5. Clean and oil the K&N air filter
    6. Respray rear cowling thing

[​IMG]
    TDM900

1. Oil and filter change
    2. Grease the rear suspension bush linkages

[​IMG]
    XL600R
    1. Identify why it won’t run (I’ve checked and cleaned all the electrical contacts so I suspect the carb jets might be bunged-up)
    2 (a). Weld holes in silencer (the remaining metal is like lace but I’ve nothing to lose by having a go) and if it all goes tits-up...
    2 (b). Find and fit a replacement silencer.

Let the workshop fun begin!

:-)
  13. cmcteir

cmcteir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely for a visit, a few of my friends have been and raved about it. Had Hermann's book for a wee while now :thumb
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  14. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Your Tiger would make an ideal bike to do the Stella Alpina Rally on :pynd. Usually the 2nd week of July starting from Bardonecchia on the Italian/ French border, riding up the Col del Sommelier to nearly 10,000 ft. I did it in 2006 on my old Africa Twin. When I can get the XL600 sorted out I might just do it again. There’s a stack of excellent high altitude, big bike friendly tracks in the area.
  15. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow ! Thats all i can say... that and thanks ! I came across this thread a week or so ago.. and since i have a brutally short attention span and am a very slow reader, it took me untill now to catch up! I initially started in on it because I am dead set on touring Scotland.. hopefully in 2022. What a great expose' on Scotland you have built here. To help me plan I will re-read what you have here, mostly because i was too lazy to jot down any notes the first time through.. I've even ordered a copy of Touring Scotland for reference. 2020 was a piss-poor year for travel everywhere i think, hopefully things come around soon.

I too have 4 bikes in the shed and each one a has a winter want list of fixits.. ha ha.. thats just the way it is.

If you ever decide to come to the pacific northwest of the us, hit me up as you will have a place to stop-over, and on top of that you will get free travel advice!

I will be watching for more, Cheers!
    JimRidesThis and philipbarrett like this.
  16. philipbarrett

Oddometer:
    You'll be needing John Ferguson's "The Motorcyclist's Guide to Scotland" then. One of the absolute best MC touring books I've seen complete with suggested itineraries & really good paper maps. It's silly money in the US on Amazon so buy direct from the man himself;

https://www.tarmap.co.uk/

He's on ADVRider too I believe. If we're past COVID & finally built there's a bed for you when you come through the Isle of Skye.
    NSFW, JimRidesThis and N-Id-Jim like this.
  17. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Hello @N-Id-Jim and thank you for the positive comments, it’s always nice to get some feedback. I’m astounded that you found some of the content actually useful, let alone devoting serious reading time to it! :loco:D

Ask away if I can help out with any specific/non-specific info re: your 2022 Scotland travel plans - recommended routes, must-see’s, Scottish/English translation, cultural practices and social etiquette, midge ‘tactics’, tartan, bagpipes, deep-fried food identification tests, caber-tossing, etc.

As @philipbarrett suggested above, JG’s book is very comprehensive and entertaining, well worth the investment. It might also be worth your while checking out advscotland.com for on the ground info :thumb
    N-Id-Jim and philipbarrett like this.
  18. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info... i will definately hit you up with some more questions as the 2022 departture nears.. i am currently sniffing out possiblities for shipping my bike over there as i plan to tour around the UK and EU for several months.. that is plan for now anyways.. (i will look at that advscotland site too.. )

Also... The book both you guys reference here is the one i ordered,, straight from the linky in this tread.. only problem is, i am starting to get cold standing out here waiting by the mailbox! :D
    JimRidesThis and philipbarrett like this.
  19. philipbarrett

Oddometer:
    Pour a bucket of water over your head for the full Highland experience.
    JimRidesThis and N-Id-Jim like this.
  20. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Well, let me know if I can help out. I’m quite willing to store a bike for you or act as a UK contact address, but I’m not super-handy for international airports.
    N-Id-Jim and philipbarrett like this.