1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

JimRides... from Northern Cumbria in the UK

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JimRidesThis, Mar 13, 2016.

1. cmcteir

cmcteir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Friend of mine saw these in a garden centre years ago for about 3 quid and got me one. Been everywhere since and held up well.
    Photo on a Saturday morning in Ardnamurchan in October last year 20200920_084548_001.jpg
    td63, Shaggie and JimRidesThis like this.
  2. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    Well, happily we don’t have a gun culture or large hunting/shooting community in the UK, so knife crime gets the majority of attention here, particularly regarding school kids. Of course, laws don’t prevent scumbags or children getting hold of knives, but they do set some distinct boundaries for those of us who use them as tools rather than weapons.

The Morakniv isn’t illegal per se, but it would be illegal as an EDC. If you have a reasonable use for the knife, it’s okay - e.g. hiking, camping, bushcraft, hunting, fishing, etc.

For personal EDC you can have a folding knife, the blade has to be less than 3” (75mm) long with no locking mechanism (that can be a safety issue on cheaper knives IMHO). Most Victorinex/Swiss Army Knives meet those requirements.

This from the UK Government website...

Basic laws on knives in the UK

It’s illegal to:

• sell a knife to anyone under 18, unless it has a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less
    • carry a knife in public without good reason, unless it has a folding blade with a cutting edge 3 inches long or less
    • carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife
    • use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife)
    Lock knives
    • Lock knives are not classed as folding knives and are illegal to carry in public without good reason.
    • Lock knives: have blades that can be locked and refolded only by pressing a button can include multi-tool knives - tools that also contain other devices such as a screwdriver or can opener
    Banned knives and weapons
    • butterfly knives (also known as ‘balisongs’) - a blade hidden inside a handle that splits in the middle
    • disguised knives - a blade or sharp point hidden inside what looks like everyday objects such as a buckle, phone, brush or lipstick
    • flick knives
    • gravity knives
    • stealth knives
    • zombie knives
    • swords, including samurai swords - a curved blade over 50cm (with some exceptions, such as antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
    • sword-sticks - a hollow walking stick or cane containing a blade
    • push daggers
    • blowpipes
    • telescopic truncheons - extend automatically by pressing button or spring in the handle
    • batons - straight, side-handled or friction-lock truncheons
    • hollow kubotans - a cylinder-shaped keychain holding spikes
    • shurikens (also known as ‘shaken’, ‘death stars’ or ‘throwing stars’)
    • kusari-gama - a sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire
    • kyoketsu-shoge - a hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire
    • kusari (or ‘manrikigusari’) - a weight attached to a rope, cord, wire
    • hand or foot-claws
    • knuckledusters
    I guess the laws are applied and enforced fairly rigorously in cities and urban areas, particularly with regard to child knife crime. Out in the sticks, less so. I’ve never had any issues, but I don’t carry a knife out of habit, only when I need it as a tool.

It might all seem a bit draconian, but it's not really like that. Personally, I wouldn't want to live somewhere where idiots can legally carry weapons of any kind. I guess it's just a cultural thing that we're used to over here. Different strokes for different folks.
    td63, B10Dave and philipbarrett like this.
  3. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Brilliant, aren’t they. I think mine was a similar price all those years ago. They’re a bit more expensive now, but still worth the money IMHO. :thumb

It's been a few years since I was at Ardnamurchan (and the mug came too!)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good times!

td63, TheBritAbroad, Shaggie and 6 others like this.
  4. carlosthejackal

carlosthejackal Gentleman traveller

Oddometer:
    I like the look of that. It looks like a decent knife for your pack. UK laws don't help us at all do they. Is the opinel 8 legal for everyday carry? I thought all the opinels were lock knives
  5. carlosthejackal

carlosthejackal Gentleman traveller

Oddometer:
    People are nervous about knives in the UK. I stopped carrying a Swiss army knife at work as it made other people stressed. I'm a DT teacher and I'm of the opinion that carrying a tool for sharpening pencils or opening parcels is reasonable in that role. Especially when my classroom cupboard was full of dangerous kit. However many people don't think that way so.I stopped
  6. CdnGS

CdnGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Grandfather hailed from the UK and used to carry a sword cane as a younger man when travelling about Liverpool. Guess he wound be considered a villain by today’s standards LOL.
    carlosthejackal and JimRidesThis like this.
  7. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    You’re right, Opinel’s of any size are not legal for EDC because of the locking mechanism, mine usually lives in the tank bag so it’s easy to get at. The Morakniv is buried in with my kitchen kit in a pannier. I do have a small Swiss Army knife but, unlike you, I don’t have need of it everyday so it usually live in a drawer at home until needed.

At work (University design studio) I have several scalpels and a craft knife to hand for the daily cutting tasks.
    carlosthejackal likes this.
  8. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Scandinavia trip update

Eventually I'll make that trip to Scandinavia, but not this year :2cry. I started a thread, late 2017, outlining my 'plan' but had to shelve the trip due to some unexpected costs thrown up around the death of my Mum. You can check out that thread here if you're interested.
    I had hoped to resurrect the trip this summer, but thinking practically that's not going to happen, what with the virus situation, travel restrictions, etc.

All that hasn't stopped me continuing to do research. This mainly involves looking through my collection of maps, reading travel guides and ride reports and watching YouTube videos :D. For those of you also thinking of a Scandi trip, I'd like to recommend a 'Tube channel I came across yesterday. It's created by ADVrider inmate @tshansen - very informative, well filmed and narrated - https://www.youtube.com/c/tshansen

Enjoy and dream of Norway!
  9. cmcteir

cmcteir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think all foreign jaunts will be off this year, not that we don't live in hope personally i'll wait and see and if it happens it happens, if not i could live in worse places to ride a bike

I've been watching Got2Go on youtube recently and she went from Switzerland through Norway to the Nordcapp, Finland and back (last year i think), its worth a watch.

I'll give yours a go later - not sure how much i could concentrate on work if it was on in the background
    ullukk and JimRidesThis like this.
  10. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    I think I might have seen some of the Got2Go content, but I’ll check it out again. There’s loads of useful inside info from my original thread linked above. I think I’d got to the point where I realised a 3 week trip just wasn’t going to be long enough :D
    B10Dave likes this.
  11. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:

A short while back I promised @fozrunner I'd get a photo of his ancestral pile, Stonegarthside Hall. It's in an area called Nicholforest, not far from where I'm fortunate enough to live. Building work at home and our current Covid lockdown prevented me from making that short trip... until today! :rofl

Here's @fozrunner's rightful inheritance :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a fortified farmhouse situated less than a mile the Scottish border (as the Haggis flies).

We're in the heart of 'Border Reiver' country where fortified dwellings were pretty much essential accommodation between the 14th and late 17th centuries. The story of the Reivers takes place on the western border between England and Scotland. In those days, this region – known as 'The Debatable Land' – had all the characteristics of a frontier; a total lack of law and order, cattle rustling, feuding, murder, arson and pillaging. Along with the Scottish Highlands, The Debatable Land was the last part of Britain to be brought under the rule of law.

There's a certain romance attached to the Reivers, but in truth it was a bloody and sordid episode of history. In the late 16th century, the Archbishop of Glasgow, Gavin Dunbar, issued a 1,000 word 'Curse on the Reivers' which is commemorated on the Cursing Stone and Reiver pavement adjacent to Carlisle Castle.

[​IMG]
    Image from, and more info from, scotsclans.com

Anyhow, back to the present day. This morning I had the Buell booked in for it's annual inspection (MOT) which it passed :clap. Despite the lockdown still being in force, I took the opportunity to ride a slightly longer way home in order to get the photo's I'd promised @fozrunner, spurred on by the lawlessness of the Reivers no doubt :D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is just a few hundred yards from Stonegarthside Hall; everything beyond the foreground trees is Scotland, but we're banned from crossing the border for the time-being.
    td63, CdnGS, popscycle and 5 others like this.
  12. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    It moves Jim!

I’m playing with video at the moment and I thought I’d share my first attempts with you. I’m trying to capture the sound of the bike as well as the video - no music, no commentary. I’m not keen on endless on-bike videos so this is strictly ‘B’ roll footage, but I think it gives you a reasonable idea of the type of riding that’s on my doorstep.

Apologies for the rusty riding technique, I’m out of practice!
  13. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Home is where the Hartside is...

Hartside, about 30 minutes from home, is a well known pass between Penrith and Alston. It’s much loved by bikers and drivers of sports car because it twists and turns all the way up to the summit (1903 ft). This was my destination the other day when I took the Buell out for a quick spin. On the way up I found a great spot to make a brew and watch the bikes grind pegs :D

[​IMG]

Before carrying on to the top where there’s a car park and ice cream van. There used to be a great cafe too but it was burned down in mysterious circumstances a few years ago.

[​IMG]

From the top there
    are great views across northern Cumbria and the Lake District fells although it was a little hazy today.

[​IMG]

On the way home I rode through the small hamlet of Croglin, home turf to the legendary Croglin vampire. Even though it was daylight, I didn’t stop for obvious reasons :D

———————
    Unrelated news today is that the border with Scotland has reopened. :clap It’s been illegal to cross the border for over four months (except for work, study or medical reasons).
  14. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim. Loved the video.
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  15. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:

Thank you Dave. As I said, I’m not a fan of long on-bike videos, this one was just a test :-)
    B10Dave and TheBritAbroad like this.
  16. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Firstly, I have some exciting news to share...
    Can you hear the pitter-patter of tiny motorcycle tyres? Yes! I've bought another bike :clap

Secondly, I have some disappointing news to share...
    I've done a rubbish job of documenting the whole purchase and collection experience :doh, but here's what I've got.

Thirdly, there's a twist in the tale. :D

A couple of weeks ago I bought another bike off the ADVScotland forum, the only problem being that it was 300 miles north of home. Still, on the plus side the purchase coincided with the relaxation of lockdown rules on both sides of the border.

The plan was to:

• take an extra day off work (Thursday)
    • travel by train up to Aberdeen
    • get a cheap hotel for the night
    • explore the flesh-pots of downtown Aberdeen
    • pick up the bike in the morning (Friday)
    • take a Friday and Saturday to get back home, camping somewhere along the way
    The reality panned out differently as a Saturday appointment for my 2nd Covid jab scuppered the two-days back part of the plan, I'd just have to ride back on Friday. No big deal apart from the strong, gusty winds and torrential rain forecast for the first 150 miles of my trip - a forecast that turned out to be extremely accurate! :dunno

I arrived in Aberdeen after a bone-dry, sunny train journey. I didn't take any photos of the Forth Railway Bridge, the lovely coastline north of Edinburgh, nor the Tay Bridge or the city of Dundee.

[​IMG]
    Union Bridge, Aberdeen. I think the big building down the street is the High Sheriff’s Court building.

Once I’d checked into my hotel I checked out local eateries online and chose ‘Jacks’ Place’ only a few minutes up the street. Good choice! A Highlander Burger plus a couple of Blue Moon Belgian white beers and I was ready for bed. New bike day tomorrow!

[​IMG]
    The Highlander Burger from Jack’s Place :thumb

It was raining the next morning as I walked to the railway station and got on the 08:22 to Inverness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got off the train at Insch where I was met by the seller, Doug, taken back to his place for a cuppa, look round the bike, pet the dogs, chat with Doug and his wife, etc. I didn't take any pictures. :doh

It was still raining, only much more heavily now, more like a monsoon... and I had just over 300 miles to cover.

I stopped a few miles south of Stonehaven to put on some thicker, waterproof gloves – the ambient temperature was only 8ºC / 45ºF minus wind chill... time to unveil the 'new' machine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    2002 BMW F650GS

I only made one fuel stop on the way home so no more photos I'm afraid. The weather was atrocious until I the Edinburgh / Glasgow corridor where I suddenly realised I was riding on dry tarmac! It stayed dry the rest of the way home :D

17. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    The Twist in the Tale? I hadn't forgotten, I was just building up the suspense... :D

...This bike is for Mrs JRT!

[​IMG]

I'm now looking forward to rides with my other half. She's held her full licence for well over 30 years but hasn't had, or ridden, a bike for over twenty. She's practicing slow manoeuvres, getting used to riding again. If it doesn't work out I'll keep hold of the GS anyway. It's a cracking little machine (? ... I guess many of us remember when a 650 was a big bike!) so it's found a new home, at least for a few years anyway.

:clap
    Shaggie, TheBritAbroad, CdnGS and 5 others like this.
  18. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great , most of my riding is now done in the company of my wife we bimble along , take our time on our 2 Bonnies , sometimes she will chose pillion on Bumble the Bavarian Tractor R100gs . Good times
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  19. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    I don’t think I’m going to sleep tonight. Too excited :D Going camping tomorrow… first time since September 2018! :D
  20. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff Jim!!

:clap

btw :wave

S
    JimRidesThis likes this.