JimRides... from Northern Cumbria in the UK

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JimRidesThis, Mar 13, 2016.

1. carlosthejackal

carlosthejackal Gentleman traveller

Oddometer:
    Nice one. I'm assuming that Mrs Jim is quite a petite lady? When I t tied a GS like that it felt quite small. Your lady wife makes it look huge!
  2. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:

Yes, she is quite petite and only 5’ 4”.

In comparison to my TDM the GS is small and I did feel a little cramped-up at first, but I quickly got used to it on the 300+ mile ride down from Aberdeen.
    carlosthejackal likes this.
  3. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Yo Shane! How are things with you my friend?
    Shaggie likes this.
  4. Essbee

Essbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're lucky that you're going to have your wife going riding with you, I'm always envious of those who do. :thumb Enjoy it!

No chance of me having that luck though, my other half is way shorter than your wife! :D Her climbing on board my GSA is a challenging little mission.

PS - going back a few posts....thanks for sharing that info on the "debatable land"....I find stuff like that super interesting. ( and to think how I despised history at school)
    B10Dave and JimRidesThis like this.
  5. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Hi Essbee, thanks for reading through the thread :thumbup. Pleased you enjoyed the local history. I didn’t gel with that stuff when I was at school either, but over the years I’ve found it more and more fascinating. And, as we know, there’s no better place to experience it than on a motorcycle :D.
    B10Dave and Essbee like this.
  6. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Overnighter Camping Trip Report

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I was bravely heading out for a night under canvas, well sil-nylon to be more accurate. It happened, but not quite as I'd imagined :D

I loaded up the Buell and headed west to Hawkrigg Campsite on the edge of the Galloway Forest Park. I took some video of the ride over but I haven't edited it yet; later perhaps. Here's a photo of the Buell instead...

[​IMG]

It was mid afternoon by the time I set off from home and I was just in time to stock up with some food from the filling station at St. Johns Town of Dalry before it closed for the evening. It's had a major revamp since I was last through that way. I didn't take any photos, but this one's culled from Google Street View...

[​IMG]

From there it was a short hop to the campsite which was basic but had everything I needed. Best of all, there were very few other people on site, just an extended family in three camper vans, no other tents. Having said that, I'd only just started to pitch my tent and I had company :D

[​IMG]

Once I'd said goodbye to my new friend (I named him Walter), I pitched the tent and was joined by one of the other campers who'd come to have a closer look at the Buell. They're not a common site in the UK and apparently his Dad has one, a Lightning Long. Anyway, we had a good chat about this and that, as you do when the midge's aren't biting :thumb.

I'd bought a couple of beers to help while away the evening - Goose Island 'Midway IPA', brewed in Belgium not Scotland - so I cracked one open and set about making some food.

[​IMG]

Snags and 'shrooms tonight! :wingsboth locally produced or picked.

[​IMG]

And that's where my perfect evening derailed. I had the realisation that in all the excitement of actually going camping, I'd forgotten to pack my essential meds. I'm diabetic; and I have a chronic back problem that requires a daily dose of strong painkillers if I'm to be fully functional. Being made of stern stuff :jack I was confident I'd make it through the night, but I knew I'd have to cut short my plans for the next day (looking for free camping spots) and make for home as soon as I packed up in the morning and said farewell to Walter... which is exactly what I did.

The trip wasn't a complete a 'fail' - I identified
    a couple of modifications to my kit and packing; sort out better solutions to getting video; and, of course, I won't forget the essential meds next time :lol3.
    N-Id-Jim, ullukk, Shaggie and 4 others like this.
  7. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Gone Fishing...

Not quite, but yesterday I went to check out a venue I'd not fished before about 70 miles south of home. The venue (the Lancaster Canal at Stainton, near Kendal) turned out to be a bit of a dud, far too weedy to be fishable. What you can't see in the picture is the solid bed of Canadian Pond Weed about 2" below the surface...

[​IMG]

... but I sat for an hour or so sipping my bottle of water, looking out for signs of fish, with a pair of swans keeping me company. I think they were disappointed that I hadn't brought any food to share with them :lol3

[​IMG]

With no sign of anything other than the swans I trundled back north over the A6 via Shap. It was a really hot and muggy day, but brilliant to be out in the wind on the TDM :thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CdnGS, ullukk, klaviator and 5 others like this.
  8. cmcteir

cmcteir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As you mention Dalry, i was there on Sunday afternoon on the RT for a pint at the Clachan for no other reason than i could it's a grand wee run over from Moniaive. Sorry you didn't manage more this side o the border.
    B10Dave and JimRidesThis like this.
  9. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Well I didn’t on this trip but I know the area quite well. My brother, Andy, had a house in Dalry (just realised that was nearly 40 years ago) and I used to spend a lot of time over there.

The first time I went to visit him I hitched over from Carlisle. I was on the last leg of the trip up from Castle Douglas, thumb out, and a car pulled over. I leant through the window and was about to say ‘Are you going anywhere near Dalry?’. Before I got a single word out the driver said, ‘Hop in, I know exactly where you’re going, I’m Andy’s next door neighbour, you look just like your brother!’ :jack

The other thing I remember was The Clachan Inn. Tartan carpet. Tartan upholstery. Tartan wallpaper. :D I guess the decor’s probably changed by now though.
    TheBritAbroad likes this.
  10. cmcteir

cmcteir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's not changed much
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  11. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    “Good men through the ages tryin' to find the sun
    And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain?”

John C Fogerty / Creedence Clearwater Revival

I’d promised to go and visit my sister yesterday, she lives about 80 miles away near the southern end of the Lake District.
    There are several routes down there but my favourite includes a small unclassified road, over Cold Fell on the western fringes of the Lake District. On a clear day you get some stunning views of the fells and the valleys of Eskdale, Wasdale and Ennerdale from Cold Fell, so of course it was raining hard from dark, dark clouds when I set off.

Fuelling up the bike on the northern edge of Carlisle and the rain was getting heavier, but about five miles later the rain stopped. Another five miles and the roads were dry. Good Karma had come out to play ensuring I didn’t see any more rain, or even a damp road, for the rest of the day.

It became one of those perfect rides - pleasantly warm, very little traffic and the TDM just ticked along. And, of course, the 160 mile round trip had mysterious grown to over 220 miles before I eventually returned home at 9.30 pm. :-)

Here are some photos from the homeward leg.

[​IMG]
    Teeny, tiny TDM, plus owner, well within the blast range of the Sellafield Nuclear Leakage facility on Cumbria's south-west coast.

[​IMG]
    From the same spot looking west to Whitehaven and the Irish Sea.

Potentially interesting facts about Whitehaven

1. The only US Navy invasion of British soil took place here in 1778, led by none other than … ‘father of the U.S. Navy’ and Led Zeppelin bass man…John Paul Jones. Unlike Led Zeppelin the invasion wasn't that successful.
    2. Whitehaven was the first 'designed' town in England since medieval times. Early 1700's… Cumbrian bigwig, Sir John Lowther, has made a mint from coal... Becomes gripped by a mad fit of fiscal recklessness. Descides to improve the living conditions for his workers by knocking down their houses, rebuilding Whitehaven from the foundations up! Sir John lays out the new town in a grid system, a design that inspired the grid pattern in New York.
    This knowledge might be useful in the future in a Pub quiz, or perhaps a hostage situation.

[​IMG]
    The Herdwick is a breed of sheep synonymous with the Lake District uplands, introduced by the Vikings about 1200 years ago. The wool is very tough and waterproof - it makes for a very warm, showerproof (if slightly scratchy/itchy) pullover.

[​IMG]

Looking S.W. in the general direction of Wasdale.

[​IMG]
    The Cold Fell road is about 12 miles of moorland single carriageway between Calder Bridge and Ennerdale Bridge. No other traffic today!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Looking north-east from the Ennerdale end of the road towards... Ennerdale and Buttermere Valley beyond that.

[​IMG]
    Ennerdale from Kirkland

And that's yer lot!
  12. ullukk

ullukk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Jim, just played catch up on your thread mate, great stuff!! Iv'e been over to your neck of the woods for a couple of nights camping this week, stayed at Staveley campsite, nice spot, love it over in Cumbria and I'll be back over again hopefully sooner rather than later.
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  13. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Pleased you had a good trip @ullukk :thumb
    ullukk likes this.