JimRides... from Northern Cumbria in the UK

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JimRidesThis, Mar 13, 2016.

1. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mate just looked over your pics again and realised I've been to that campsite- Beinglas, right? Great place too- every scotch ever made and they only charged me 8 quid for 2 people!
  2. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    That's the one, it's a cracking site isn't it. We're planning another trip there again in September. I'm planning to take them Over to Ardnamurchan via Mull. Should be a good ride out if the weather plays ball :D

Did you go to The Drover's Inn just a short walk down the road? My pals weren't all that keen on the place, but I loved it. Stuffed with taxidermy :lol3, decent range beer, a huge Scotch selection and a great atmosphere.
  3. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Now then Jono, I saw you we're selling 'the banana' over on Carpe. Tidy bike that. Always up for a run out mate. Can you remember where I live? (1100GS) :D
  4. jono49

jono49 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes :waveI thought it was you! I'll PM you my number!
  5. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Got your number John, and I've PM'd you mine. Speak to you soon.

Jim
  6. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    #4 West: Far North becomes Deep South out West - Part 2

In the morning I have a lazy pack up and don't get away from the campsite until ten. Cracking riding weather, sunny but not too warm.

[​IMG]

First stop of the day, after back roads all the way to Killantingam Bay.

[​IMG]

But I'm really here to see this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Killantringham Lighthouse designed by David Alan Stevenson. Remember that name.

[​IMG]

Having seen the light it's time to press on to Portpatrick for a bite to eat and another lighthouse...

[​IMG]

Seeing as I'm being drawn, moth-like, to lighthouses instead of 'midnight sun', I drop down to the Mull of Galloway, Scotland's most southerly point. The riding switches between tight single track rutted Tarmac to flowing coastal road and back again, so progress is slow. Still, that's no bad thing on a perfect day like today :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The area around the Mull of Galloway lighthouse is now an RSPB nature reserve. It's remote by UK standards and once you're there, it's the same road back again. The lighthouse itself, built in 1830, was designed by Robert Stevenson of 'The Rocket locomotive' fame. He, his sons and grandsons (inc. David Alan above) were responsible for designing the majority of the lighthouses around the UK coastline. A prolific family!

Time to make for home and I return the same way I came, The Queen's Road.

[​IMG]
    This route is obviously of no interest to motorcyclists! Thirty odd miles of boring straight road, no views, etc. Avoid if at all possible! ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I think my better half sent an RAF Hercules out to track me down.

Until next time...

RevyRider and B10Dave like this.
  7. jono49

jono49 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Tedium...... DSCF1118.JPG
    Velocipede, JimRidesThis and B10Dave like this.
  8. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
  9. jono49

jono49 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It sounds as good as it looks :super
  10. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Updated post #1 with links to some of my other threads.
  11. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I had a little ride out on Saturday and ended up here, Wastwater. The deepest lake in the England.
    dixiethedog, Velocipede and B10Dave like this.
  12. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    A couple of shots from my brief ride out today...

[​IMG]

My lovely, under-photographed :D TDM900 on Mungrisdale Common with Carrock Fell in the background. Carrock Fell has the remains of an Iron Age fort on the top and shares some of its geology with the the Black Cullin Ridge on the Isle of Skye, a few hundred miles to the north.

I was going to pop in to see an exhibition of Lego (including a full size Lego reconstruction of the Flying Scotsman - 8 metres long) at the Rheged Centre but figured it's be full of kids on a Bank Holiday Monday. Instead I turned right to get a brew at the Filling Station Cafe in Keswick.

[​IMG]

Lots and lots of motorcycles on the road today! :clap
    Goosefeather likes this.
  13. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Spent a couple of hours clearing out my garage/workshop. Found this in there...

[​IMG]

:D:D:D
    The_Scottsman likes this.
  14. ghte

ghte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My mate had a TDM900 for many years and loved it. The 2 best improvements to his bike was a fork brace and an up market shock. Made all the difference apparently.
    Love your post by the way.
  15. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:

Cheers ghte! The TDM900 is just about the perfect bike for me at the moment. I can't think of anything about it I want to change. Upgraded suspension would obviously be good, but it's not a priority at the moment. Something for the future perhaps?
  16. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Just a few photos from a weekend trip to the Mull of Kintyre. Good company, spectacular scenery and brilliant roads. There's not much more to be said!

[​IMG]
    Home for a couple of nights, The Anchor Inn at Garelochhead. Clean, co mfy rooms, super helpful dripping-wet-biker friendly staff and good food. Highly recommended!

[​IMG]
    Even after a night in the laundry our gear was still damp so some morning sunshine did a great job of finishing off the drying out.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    I had a room with a view. In fact, due to a booking error, I had an apartment with a view!

[​IMG]
    Just down the Loch is Faslane, the home of our Trident nuclear deterrent. Not that you can tell from here, what with...

[​IMG]
    ...Crocosmia still in bloom and...

[​IMG]
    ...Eider Duck serenading me to sleep.

[​IMG]
    In fact, lots of birdlife feeding along the Loch edge. Line up L to R - Jackdaws, Heron, Curlew, Herring Gull and Crows.

But the day was for riding so only a few photo's were taken.

[​IMG]
    The A83 near Bellochantuy

[​IMG]
    Kintyre Lighthouse (another Stephenson creation)

[​IMG]
    The view across to Northern Ireland

[​IMG]
    More flora...

[​IMG]
    ...and fauna.

[​IMG]
    And then back up the other side of the peninsula on the B842.

[​IMG]
    Great views over to Arran.

[​IMG]
    The Arran skyline.

[​IMG]
    And with that it was back home to the Anchor Inn.

That's all for now 8)
    IslandMonkey and Goosefeather like this.
  17. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    #Skyeline, keeping CalMac afloat and the Periodic Table - Part 1
    Scot-trip regulars Mike and George rode over to my place, just North of Carlisle, for a four day trip north of the border as I'd convinced them that there was good riding further north of Fort William. After a spot of lunch we made our way north to Inveranan using the most direct route because it was blooming' cold (and we've turned into wimps staying in hotels rather than camping out :D )

[​IMG]

After a few beers and a good night's sleep in a chalet at Beinglas campsite we headed north to Skye with a quick side trip to Drumnadrochit for a bit of Loch Ness Monster spotting...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Urquhart Castle, the locale of the most famous Nessie image ... 'The Surgeon's Picture'

With no monster apparent we left without paying the exorbitant cost of entry to the Castle and grounds. The brilliant A887/A87 got us over to Kyle of Lochalsh, over the sea to Skye (there's a song there somewhere) and up to our next accommodation at the Sligachan Hotel - highly recommended!

[​IMG]
    Portree, Isle of Skye

[​IMG]
    The view from the Hotel. The Red Cullin on the left and the north end of the Black Cullin on the right - see post #52 to join a circle.

After a few minutes wait with a beer in hand, the light gets more interesting...
    [​IMG]

To be continued...

18. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Love it! I'm from West Sussex (although I live in Canada) and your photos make me think that I need to head north the next time that I'm over visiting my family. Thanks! :clap
    RobF650 likes this.
  19. frique

frique Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I remember the Sligachan Hotel from many, many moons back; Skye - the whole of the Western Isles, to be honest, has a beauty that I don't think can be matched anywhere else in the UK. Enjoy the ride!
  20. Stewart5533

Stewart5533 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk Great thread.....love the pictures.