JimRides... from Northern Cumbria in the UK

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JimRidesThis, Mar 13, 2016.

1. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    Oh yes, it went all the way across to Annan and was dismantled in the 1920's I think.
    TwedyMoto likes this.
  2. lipsee

lipsee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hijack Jim but a quick story,,,The railway from Annan across the Solway to Cumberland was closed in about 1924,but was left standing until the 30s ,but trouble was caused by Scotsmen(and possibly Scotswomen) sneeking across by foot on a sunday.The reason was no drinking in Scotland and drinks all round in England...Well, all went well until ,some Scots guys could not take there drink and fell off into the Solway on the way back home ..So ,Health and Safety(and all that) they closed it and pull it down... So there you go!!!! Not many people know that!!!
    TwedyMoto and JimRidesThis like this.
  3. lipsee

lipsee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim I thought it was the 30s,,,but don,t quote me !!!!
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  4. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Too late lipsee, you're quoted!

I just had a quick look on Wikipedia and you're right, "The dismantling of the viaduct was completed by November 1935", it closed in the '20's, "The Yorkshire Post reported in May 1921 that the Caledonian had closed the branch for both goods and passenger traffic"

5. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Not a ride out post today, but a prelude to other ride outs hopefully...

I really miss having hard panniers. I've had the same set on my last two bikes (Africa Twin and 1100GS) and, as I still had 'em in garage, I thought I'd try and make 'em fit.

Here are the component parts of the project:

[​IMG]

1 x TDM900 - check
    2 x Touratech racks 1100GS fitment - check
    Assorted tubing and flat bar - check
    2 x Zega panniers - check

After an afternoon and evening of cutting, grinding, measuring and welding I now have these...

[​IMG]

so I can now do this...

[​IMG]

or even this...

[​IMG]

I just need to put paint on them - and I have half a rattle can of satin black Smoothrite in the garage - and they're done! Zero outlay :)

B10Dave, Shaggie and IslandMonkey like this.
  6. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Just a few photos from a run over Honister Pass the other Sunday.

Down there, in the direction of Keswick, is where we're going...

[​IMG]

There was a lovely Kawasaki H2 parked outside The Filling Station :smooch

[​IMG]

... and plenty of other bikes on Honister Pass today.
    [​IMG]

There was still plenty of solitude too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tea and cake to finish the ride :D

[​IMG]

7. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    For me it’s been a quiet year on the motorcycling front but there’s been lots going on in other aspects of life, and not much of it pleasant or easy to deal with. Next year will be different!

I’ve just finished a proper full service on the TDM and I’ve booked a ferry across to Holland at the very end of June. Destination Scandinavia :D Follow the link and my plan will be revealed...

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/scandinavia-norway-july-2018.1266659/#post-33637228
    Shaggie likes this.
  8. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your Mum Jim

92 is a pretty amazing innings tho - she sounds like she was a neat lady.

Best wishes from NZ

Shane :wave
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  9. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Yes, she certainly was a special person Shane.

From a humble background to a humble end with a humble middle part too, but she had some adventures! She served in North Africa during WW2. Visited Eastern Europe before communism crumbled. And much more. She was also relatively active until not long before she passed away - marbles intact.

My Dad died suddenly when I was 18 (i.e. a long time ago!) and though I had a great relationship with him, inevitably there were things I would like to have told him before he went. I didn’t make that mistake with my Mum, nothing was left unsaid. (I have hours of video of her telling me stories of her life, fascinating stuff that I’ll be sharing with my brother and sister).
    92 is some age, she had her time and spent it well. Hearing how some folk have a hard time with their parents, I’m so grateful to my Mum and Dad for the endless love and encouragement and the pragmatic values they passed onto us. Just brilliant people, both of them!
    dammitdave and Shaggie like this.
  10. Shaggie

Oddometer:
    Unexpectedly informative reply Jim - thankyou!

best wishes mate

Shane
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  11. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Nae bother mate, I didn’t mean to go on!

BTW, I like your Sam Vimes quote. I was introduced to Terry Pratchett by some of my students about 25 years ago, I hadn’t read any of his books at the time and wasn’t really aware of who he was which seemed to please him a lot. We spent an entertaining evening in the Kings Head on Upper Street chatting about this and that, getting steadily more ‘lashed’ as the night went on. I’ve read all his books now, most at least twice. Great writer, sadly missed.
    Shaggie likes this.
  12. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    NEC Motorcycle Show 2017

I haven’t been to the NEC show for about ten years and had no intention of going this year either, but a last minute email from ‘The Sunderland Posse’ offering me a lift down and back gave me the opportunity of seeing the new 2018 bikes. What I’d really have liked to see was the new Guzzi V85but they hadn’t brought it along to drool over. Here are a few shots from the day...

[​IMG]
    Enfield Himalayan. Okay, but looks a bit of a bitsa.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Enfield Interceptor. I like this one, it seemed to ‘hang together’ much more than the Himalayan

For a change of pace and price...

[​IMG]
    The Ducati Multistrada ‘Pike’s Peak’ - nice - £20,000+

And double that again (at least) for one of these...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The stunning Honda NR750

All in all an interesting day but a long shlep from Cumbria to Birmingham and back in a day.

Shaggie, Kovac77 and B10Dave like this.
  13. fozrunner

fozrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim

Good luck on your planned ride next year, should be amazing and rejuvenating!

I hope to get over to your area at some point to do some genealogical investigations about my Dad's family. They were from both sides of the Liddle near Kershopefoot and Newcastleton. Last year I brought my bike over but didn't have time to get to the UK and the border country. Maybe I'll get a chance next year or in 2019. I see from your report there is some good roads to explore and I hear going through the Kielder Forest to Bamburgh would be a good trip. Have you been that way?

Cheers, Bob
  14. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Hi Bob, yes there is some cracking road riding around Liddlesdale across to Jedburgh or north to Hawick. It’s a lovely area.

There’s an unpaved forest road through from the east side of Kielder to the A68 (one of the main routes from the North East into Scotland) and from there, multiple routes over to Bamburgh. The Northumberland coast is another very attractive part of the UK with lots of coastal castles Alnwick, Bamburgh, Dunstanburgh, etc. as well as Holy Island (Lindisfarne) which is also well worth a visit if you’re interested in historical stuff. I’ll take a ride over there in the spring and post some pictures for you :D

Let me know if / when you get over here. If the stars align perhaps we can hook up and I’ll show you some of the best bits of the region. Or, at least I can assist with your trip planning. I’ll PM you my contact details :thumbup
    fozrunner likes this.
  15. Shaggie

Oddometer:

J

I met him at a literary evening here in Christchurch years ago put on by the local paper. Was already a huge fan by that stage but even bigger after. Autographed book. A night on the turps with him would have been amazing! VERY jealous!!!!
    Cheers bud

S
  16. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    A couple of 'randoms' from recent jaunts. Not been out much lately, just not feeling it at the moment.

[​IMG]
    Uldale

[​IMG]
    Kershopefoot twisties :D

[​IMG]
    popscycle, Nicknewb, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  17. Shaggie

Oddometer:
    Nice pics Jim :thumb
  18. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    I'm having a few shakedown runs before a trip to Spain at the end of June. The shakedown's for me, not the TDM, I did something to my back about a month ago and haven't really been out on the bike since. I did about 120 miles today, nice run out but I'm aching now :hmmmmm Anyhow, here are a few photos taken at Newlands in The Lake District ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    really enjoying your Isle of Skye images and ride report. We are going to Skye for our 10th time to celebrate a Wedding Anniversary. Having been to many of the places you rode through, it brings back great memories. For this Texan, Scotland seems a world away from our part of the planet. And as a photographer, the light quality there is outstanding. Throw in great folks and cool places to stay and world class scenery and you have it all. Look forward to our return. Only thing missing is having my BMW R1200 GS. Would love to ride it on Skye and the roads to Applecross..... someday.
  20. Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking Lurker

Oddometer:
    I would kill to ride the western Highlands and Skye. I'll have to make that happen someday. They were some of my very favorite places I've ever been. I spent Easter of 1998 in Portree and I'll never forget it.