JimRides... from Northern Cumbria in the UK

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JimRidesThis, Mar 13, 2016.

1. boristhebold

boristhebold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great stuff, I head up there in about an hour, 3 days, two nights before Winter sets in. Trying to avoid the busier sections of road like yourself. Look forward to your continued travel escapades....
  2. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    Nice one! My regular ScotTrip buddies, Mike, Graeme and George set off this morning for the weekend too. Not quite as far up north though.
  3. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting Jim! Fantastic photos and write-up of the far Northwest. Here in the far Northwest of the "Excited States" the first snow has fallen and the rain has begun. And so begins another five months of dreaming and scheming a trip to the West Coast and Highlands. Thanks for feeding my addiction! dd
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  4. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Day 2 (postscript)

How could I have forgetten to post a photo of the iconic Kylesku Bridge? Well, in recompsense, here are two ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ishmac and B10Dave like this.
  5. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Day 3 Homeward bound

After the previous day's brilliant riding in fantastic sunshine...

[​IMG]

...it was disappointing to wake to this...

[​IMG]

Still, 350 miles from home and work the following morning meant I had to get my skates on. Perhaps that's why I was the last to leave the site around 11.00am! :D

On the plus side the sun was shining brightly when I set off. It didn't last long though :D and I rode through heavy showers all the way to Inverness.

[​IMG]
    Rainbow over Loch Glascarnoch

Happily, Inverness to home was more dry than wet but I was intent on making good time so no photos.

[​IMG]
    Kessock Bridge, Inverness

The far NW of Scotland really is stunning, everyone should visit at least once. But not all at the same time!
    popscycle, 2up ADV, Critic and 2 others like this.
  6. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words. Are you coming over to Scotland then Dave? I’d love to visit the NW States sometime, who knows, it might happen one day.
  7. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're welcome, Jim. And yes, it's the first slip of paper in the bucket says "Get to Scotland". I signed on to Adventure Scotland to school up on routes and advice. I read these RR's with the " AA Glovebox Atlas of Scotland" in hand. So yes, the midge has bitten, so to speak. Now, 'just have to save the money and block out the time. I've ridden much of our Northwest and know of the inmates who've ridden the rest. Feel free to PM me for info. Keep the ride reports coming, Dave
  8. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    I thought I’d seen your handle recently @dammitdave, must’ve been here or on the ADVScotland forum, a braw wee forum ye ken :D. Keep me up to speed with your plans and if I can offer any help, just fire away. :thumb I live just south of the border in ‘the debatable lands

Next ride report... The Spanish Pyrenees and Bardenas Reales!
    dammitdave likes this.
  9. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    The Motorcyclist’s Guide to Scotland

Just a head’s up for @dammitdave or anyone else thinking of heading ‘north of the border’. Respected journalist, JG Fergusson, an ADVrider inmate, has just released a new book - of the self-explanatory title above. I’m honoured by the fact that it’s got a number of my photos in it too!

[​IMG]

I’ve been biking in Scotland for well over 30 years but there are lots of routes in the book that are new to me. It’s a testament to JG’s first hand knowledge and experience of motorcycling in every corner of Scotland.

The design of the book has been really well thought out and the writing style is easy to read, entertaining and humorous. Routes are usefully grouped by region and each ride is clearly described along with notable sights, eateries and nearby accommodation. By checking the routes I’m familiar with, I can confidently say that the directions are accurate. The way-finding system and icons are very easy to understand.

[​IMG]

ScotTrip regulars, Graeme, George and Mike, on the Kintyre peninsula. Photo by yours truly. :D

It’s available now on eBay, Amazon or direct from www.tarmap.co.uk. Treat yourself to a copy... because you’re worth it!

By the way, I just want to clarify that I don’t know JG other than by reputation and emails about the photos he wanted.

dammitdave and fozrunner like this.
  10. fozrunner

fozrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very cool. This would be great if it had downloadable gps tracks for people who bought the book.
  11. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    I think you might be able to tear pages out and feed them into any GPS or SatNav unit? :D

(I’ll pass your suggestion onto JG)

EDIT: I’ve passed your suggestion on @fozrunner - I think it’s a great idea. Though, once you’re above the central belt (Glasgow / Edinburgh) there aren’t that many options by which to get ‘lost’ and when you do manage to do so, it’s always a good thing.
  12. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Better than drugs! Thanks JRT!!!
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  13. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    It’s a loafing life for me...

Cor blimey, it’s the equinox already and spring is in the offing, where dId that come from? I haven’t a great deal planned biking wise this year... yet :D

Disturbingly, being a loafer, I’ve had a major house project on, AND I’ve been doing some jobs on the TDM, ready for this riding season. As usual, I’ve been dragging my heels whenever possible on both projects. I like to measure timescales in months rather than days, days rather than hours, etc. :rofl

The TDM has a new rear shock, an M-Tech unit made in France to my spec. Basic but well made. The front end is getting new stanchions, Hyperpro springs, bushes and seals. The final piece of the jigsaw, the stanchions, should be delivered tomorrow :thumbup.

I’ll let you know how I get on with the complete suspension refresh. Hopefully I can get the sag and damping set up before a trip up into Scotland (again) with the Sunderland posse (again) in mid-April.

Pics of the suspension bits to follow :D

B10Dave and Shaggie like this.
  14. philipbarrett

philipbarrett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just spent my hardly earned cash on a copy.
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  15. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    I rebuilt the TDM’s front forks tonight. New stanchions to replace the pitted ones, bushes, oil seals and a set of Hyperpro progressive springs. I’ll try and get the bike back on its wheels tomorrow evening. I wasn’t planning a front suspension refresh, just seal replacement, but I can’t wait to feel the results!

I’d take a photo or two, but the state of my garage is an embarrassment :D
    rdtz and B10Dave like this.
  16. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chop chop with the pics
    IslandMonkey and B10Dave like this.
  17. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    The newly suspended TDM is back together and ready to set up :D
    B10Dave likes this.
  18. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Creatures of habit

Spring is in the air.
    The newly suspended TDM is ready to roll.
    JimRidesThis has itchy feet.

It must be time to head north and meet up with the Sunderland posse once more :D.

Being creatures of habit (which makes me uncomfortable) we arrange a weekend at Inveranan and the Beinglas campsite. No lengthy write up. And only a few photos because I didn't take a camera with me. iPhone pics will have to do.

[​IMG]
    Ready to roll :wings

[​IMG]
    The instruction was to meet at Jedburgh. This is the remains of the Abbey.

[​IMG]
    The view from our accommodation for the weekend, and very nice it was too!

[​IMG]
    George has chopped his Guzzi Stornello in for this RnineT G/S retro thing. Oil level worries were unfounded.

[​IMG]
    Inevitably we ended up at Inveraray :D - Graeme’s T120, George’s Beemer, my TDM and Mike’s Explorer. Lots of other folk out too, enjoying the sunshine even though it was a bit parky.

[​IMG]
    ... and relax :beer

Postscript: As of yesterday there’s another bike in my garage, but it needs a little bit of fettling before I reveal it to the world. I don’t think it’ll replace the TDM (a hard act to follow, it just gives me everything I need from 2 wheels) but we’ll see. Watch this space.

19. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim :wave
  20. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Older, not wiser

There’s a new addition to the JRT garage, a Buell Ulysses XT, a bike I’ve wanted for some time :D I’ve had to track down a misfire/cutting-out problem (an exposed wire) and change the drive belt and wheel bearings.

Loving the torque, the agility/handling and the riding position. The rawness and simplicity reminds me of the type of bikes I had when I first started biking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shaggie, boboneleg and Nicknewb like this.