JimRides... from Northern Cumbria in the UK

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JimRidesThis, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice one Jim :thumb
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  2. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    Things I’d forgotten

I think ‘Trust Your Mechanic’ was a Dead Kennedy’s song from some time back. Wise words, especially if twirl your own spanner’s. I’ve never bought a new bike so every bike I’ve ever bought I’ve started the relationship with a proper, full service. I don’t trust other people working on my bikes. The Buell is no exception...

[​IMG]

Oils and filter (it’s been a long time since I had to consider a primary drive!) - HD 360 20w50 in the engine / Formula+ in the primary. New SKF wheel bearings. Oil cables. New front brake pads. Change brake fluids. Adjust clutch. Engine breather mod (had what I needed in the garage so zero cost :D). I also had to track down the cause of a misfire / cutting out issue which turned out to be an electrical short in the injector circuit.

I think I have, for the time being at least, a functioning, rideable motorcycle! :thumb

B10Dave and Shaggie like this.
  3. ishmac

ishmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim, loving your bike reports and photography! A great choice of wheels you own. I'd a 2002 model TDM-900 myself over ten years ago and so loved it, an awesome touring machine, ticks all the boxes.

Those Buell's are hard and rare to find on the second hand market, kinda quirky, I like them!

Best regards;
    Peter
    Scotland
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  4. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Sound as a pound, this thread. :thumb
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  5. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the words of encouragement guys.

Peter, I’m finding it difficult to see what will eventually replace the TDM, it’s such a sound bike as you know. Economical, comfortable, reliable, etc. nothing quite matches up at the moment as a travel bike.

The Buell is an itch that had to be scratched! :D I found this one 20 miles up the M74 in Lockerbie, but it’s spent most of its life up on Skye which might explain the corrosion!
    B10Dave, Shaggie and ishmac like this.
  6. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    I just spent a happy few hours reading through your 2008 Canada North to South trip RR (and Heckto’s too, it’s so easy to get sidetracked on ADVrider :D). Recommended reading - https://advrider.com/f/threads/1-cylinder-13-000-kms.389825/#post-7992153

My ‘local rides’ thread pales into total insignificance by comparison!
  7. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  8. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Things are hectic at the moment. Work is insane and on the homefront we’re moving house (to a nice ‘project’ place in the country :D).

Still, I managed to squeeze in a decent 120 mile loop to visit my sister in the south of the county. I had a brief stop at Ravenglass, on the Cumbrian coast, on the way back north.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Buell behaved impeccably and is great fun to ride... although I did notice that I arrived home with one instead of two baffles in the exhaust and a leaky fork oil seal. :rofl
    ishmac, Shaggie and B10Dave like this.
  9. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    A belated ride report. Spain 2018...

Regular followers of this thread will recall that I’d planned a trip to Scandinavia last summer and booked the ferries out - Hull > Rotterdam & Hirtshals > Langesund. However, acouple of months before departure I was landed with an unexpected bill relating to my Mum’s funeral, eating into my travel budget a little much for comfort.

Like the late, great Lowell George, I’d already ‘put on my sailin’ shoes’ so a change of plan was in order...
    ride down through The Netherlands, Luxembourg, France (taking in the Gorges du Tarn) and into Spain where I met my other half, son, daughter in law and grandkids for a week in a vinca before dropping down to the Bardanes Reales (as recommended by old pal, Stubbsie), then west to east along the Pyrenees (mainly N260), through France to home.

The only deviation to the plan was the return ferry (IJmuden > Newcastle) to meet up with the Sunderland Posse who were returning from the German MotoGP.

FRANCE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Gorges du Tarn

[​IMG]
    Gorges du Tarn

[​IMG]
    Gorges du Tarn

[​IMG]
    Gorges du Tarn

[​IMG]
    Gorges du Tarn

SPAIN

[​IMG]
    Bardanes Reales

[​IMG]
    Bardanes Reales

[​IMG]
    Bardanes Reales

[​IMG]
    Bardanes Reales

[​IMG]
    Bardanes Reales

[​IMG]
    Montserrat

[​IMG]
    Montserrat

[​IMG]
    Canfranc Estation, Pyrenees

10. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Up in the Pyrenees I camped next to a nice French couple. I didn’t catch their names but the female partner spoke a little English which along with my schoolboy French (and inspired by her nice butt :evil) enabled meaningful conversation. She recommended a loop through Añisclo. Although it added a day to my Pyrenean adventure it was a good call.

[​IMG]
    Lunch break, Añisclo, Spain

With that, it was more of the same - 400kms of the N260 - just brilliant riding all the way.

Postscript: the speed limit on most Spanish single carriageway is 90km/h. A couple of weeks after I got home, the nice Spanish Police wrote to me, enclosing a speeding notification and requesting 50 euros for their trouble. I can only say that wherever my transgression took place, it was worth it!

Back into France I needed to make kms to meet up with the Sunderland posse, though I had a memorable night somewhere near Mende - France won the soccer World Cup. Vive la France!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lunch usually looked like this

[​IMG]
    Camping in the Ardennes, Belgium. Run by a brilliant Dutch couple who taught me the right pronunciation of IJmuden.

[​IMG]
    I really liked this place :bmwrider I’ll definitely be back!

[​IMG]
    Back in The Netherlands.

[​IMG]

:thumb

11. Shaggie

Oddometer:
    Lovely update

Love this:

F9B1DFF7-5014-4CE9-B9A7-50380B75FAA1.jpeg
  12. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    My memory’s a little hazy Shane, but I think this is Le Pont-de-Montvert. I think I’d better go back there and double-check though :-)

It was a special place for sure. I just sat for an hour or so in the midday shade, sipping a string of cold soft drinks, no plan other than ride on until I found a campsite I liked. Pure bliss!

:nod
    Shaggie and B10Dave like this.
  13. Shaggie

Oddometer:
    That sounds like bliss to me too!!
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  14. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    "Short on money but long on time, Slowly strolling in the sweet sunshine..." Paolo Nutini

Sunday and it's 27°C (80°F) outside. Time for a ride. Just a short run out to see my sister, about a 100 mile round trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sellafield (aka Windscale, aka Calder Hall) Nuclear Plant from the Cold Fell Road.

[​IMG]
    Ennerdale

[​IMG]
    Ennerdale

15. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    "Silence Ain't Golden Anymore" Gregg Allman

Hello folks, it seems like a long time since I updated this thread - our house move was a little more complicated than expected. And first order of business once moved was to make a workshop out of an old stable :) It's a vast improvement over my old garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The TDM needed its fast idle sorting out (seized pin, common fault) which is a little involved but easy. Then came the Buell which needed/needs a header gasket replacing. Buell fans will know that means an 'engine rotation' to get the exhaust pipes off.

[​IMG]
    Now you can get access to the rear exhaust header bolts. One of the front bolts sheared and I cut the other off with an angle grinder, meaning...

[​IMG]
    ...the cylinder head had to come off to remove the studs. I'll get a professional to drill them out but I'll leave it until New Year, after the holidays are over.

[​IMG]
    Stripped, degreased and washed cylinder head drying out on the Rayburn :)
    I might as well lap in the valves once the studs are sorted. But there'll be no polishing or tarting up. This bike is going to be used (hopefully!) so it don't want to make it into a garage queen! :D

Have a peaceful and happy holiday season everyone!
  16. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the bike Jim. And a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your's.
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  17. Shaggie

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas from NZ , Jim

:thumb:wave

S
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  18. cmcteir

cmcteir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greetings from over the Solway (although I'm in the mountainous north ) Just read through this Jim, what a great Thread hope you get everything sorted out with the bikes. Noticed your tent in an earlier picture, do you mind me asking what kind it is?

Cheers
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  19. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Evening :thumb Thanks for reading through the thread, I’m pleased you’ve enjoyed it so far. The Ully (and then the XL6) will get sorted, but the TDM is ready to go :rayof and the idea is to get out for a ride tomorrow :wings.

The tent is bloody brilliant for me, loads of space, nearly enough headroom to stand up in, central pole to help me get up (did I mention my back condition and that I’m an old fart?). It’s a Eureka! Lone Tree 4 - same design as a Nigor Wickiup 4 - made by Nigor but with relatively heavier but less costly materials. It still only weighs 3.5kgs

Here’s a link to where I bought it from (still the same price but ‘out of stock’)

Shaggie likes this.
  20. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    First ride out of the new decade :-) Not far, not fast, but enjoyable all the same.

[​IMG]
    Lanercost Priory dates from the 12th Century, around 1170, much of the stone used in it's construction came from Hadrian's Wall less than 1/2 mile away.

[​IMG]
    Just down the road is Priory Bridge, dating from the 1700's - in use up until the new bridge was built in 1962.

Nice to be back on two wheels after a four month hiatus, even if it was a bit nippy :clap
    Shaggie, Merfman, dammitdave and 3 others like this.