JimRides... from Northern Cumbria in the UK

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JimRidesThis, Mar 13, 2016.

1. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    It’s all quiet on the North Western (Cumbria) Front.

In lieu of riding or workshop time I’ve been going through some old biking photos. A sort of retrospective of the last decade. I’ll share a few in this thread a long with some words to explain them.

First off, we’re going back not 10 years, but 110 years (and no, I’m not that old!). I got into bikes through my brother-in-law in my very mid teens and as far as I knew motorcycles had never played any part in my family’s history up to that point. But I was hooked :D.

Fast forward 30 odd years and I was in the middle of my Masters Degree (Graphic Design) and I was making work centred on travelogues. My Mum gave me all of the family photos (one piece was about her wartime travels) and in it I found this photo. While he bears a striking resemblance to Spike Milligan :hmmmmm, it is in fact my maternal Grandfather, Walter Mason c.1909/1910. He passed away when I was four years old and I can’t say I really remember him but he must’ve cut a dashing figure at the time.

[​IMG]
    I’m pretty certain the bike is a 3.5hp LMC, made by the Lloyd Motorcycle Company in Birmingham.

I knew someone had to be genetically responsible for my motorcycle addiction :D. Thanks Walter :thumb
  2. pictish ratter

pictish ratter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pics and write up, I'm usually down west cumbria ,going to bike rallies there,also do most of my riding down galloway/dumfries areas as I'm in Ayr so its a good wee run down those places as Ive got a few roads to choose from to get there ..might see you oot an aboot this yr :)
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  3. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    :D
    Cheers for the positive comment - it’s much appreciated. The Sunderland posse (see earlier in the thread) go to The Iron Ore rally in Egremont each year. Have you done that one? I’m not a rally goer myself as I don’t really drink that much and I’m pretty much one of those anti-social solo riders. :D

D&G is my absolute favourite local riding area but let’s not tell anyone about it, we don’t want to encourage too many visitors :D

4. ishmac

ishmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Loving your motorcycle thread Jim, excellent..! Those TDM900's are a truly brilliant bike, I owned a 2002 model quite a while ago and loved it. From memory I could just about squeeze 225 miles from a brimmed tank of fuel, excellent.

It's probably the best bike I've owned over the past 39yrs of riding motorcycles. Keep up the good work Jim!!

Best regards;
    mac
    Scotland
  5. pictish ratter

Oddometer:
    yeah I done the iron ore rally last yr for the 1st time ..was ok but not doin it again ,aye roads are great you can link up so many routes..hmm well it appears they've found out about the roads an started calling it the SWC 300 so looks like the empty roads will be a thing of past now and be inundated by coaches caravans n campervans
  6. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Bugger!
  7. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Cheers Mac, nice to hear you’re appreciating the thread. And you’re right, TDMs are brilliant bikes. I’m not the fastest rider but I don’t hang around either, even so I can usually bank on between 200-220 miles before the reserve countdown starts. I reckon it’s got another 50 or so miles after that though I haven’t tested it beyond 30 miles (so far). I don’t keep exact figures but it averages out at about 65mpg.

I’m loving the Buell too, but it’s no replacement for the TDM. I’m not sure what is to be honest. I’m no Luddite but I’m not too keen on all of the riding modes, switches, dials, interactive TFT displays, etc. on current bikes. I’m not opposed to ABS, traction control, cruise control, etc. per se, more the distracting number of options the rider has to play with and the resultant ‘risk compensation’ factor.

That’s just my opinion though, each to their own :thumb

Shaggie and ishmac like this.
  8. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    2010... Was a year of change.

I sold my beloved AT for slightly less than I paid for it seven years and 66,000 miles earlier. I had a last ride over to Stranraer (@pictish ratter will know the A712 ‘Queens Road’ and the Raider’s Road well I suspect) and the buyer met me there and took my baby over to Northern Ireland. I recently checked on the DVLA website... there’s no record of L709 OGW :cry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pyrenees, en route to Andorra.

[​IMG]
    Glen Coe, Scotland

I had so many great rides on that bike, in the UK and Europe, on and off road including a very memorable trip to complete the Stella Alpina in Italy. It had also introduced me to a whole bunch of new friends. It was an incredibly capable machine but a little under powered and, for me, increasingly uncomfortable for long distance touring.

I was now down to one bike...

Shaggie, B10Dave and ishmac like this.
  9. stevee

stevee Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Cumbria.......fantastic.......I went to school as a boarder at Lairthwaite school in Keswick (1976 to 1979 - lucky enough to go there in the September of that glorious summer of 76) - loved every minute of my time up there, so much so that I went back to get married in 2003.

Steve
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  10. ishmac

ishmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd have another TDM9 in a drop of a hat, the best/cheapest upgrade I did on my 2002 model was dropping/lowering the front forks by about an inch, such an improvement....... quicker/faster steering for sure..!!

I'm loving my 2008 V-Strom DL1000, bought it new and still have it, ticks all the boxes Jim, I'm like you, I don't need all the latest gadgets etc.......I'm old school.........best way...!

Quite like the Honda 700 Deuville although never actually test rode one, the shaft-drive and V twin engine appeals to me if I'm honest.

Keep the wheels turning Jim.

mac
    Scotland
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  11. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Ah, the summer of ‘76, I remember it well. I got to walk through the doorway of The Dun Bull Inn in Mardale - it’s usually under about 40ft of water. Couldn’t find the bar and waited ages for service, but no dice. :D

Have you been back since 2003?

I’ve upgraded the suspension on my TDM - Hyperpro springs at the front and an M-Shock at the back. It’s made quite a difference to ‘turn in’ and the ride quality. Also dropped the forks 10mm :D

I’d love a V-Strom at some point (best bet for a TDM replacement?). My son had a 650 which I should have bought when he sold it. Lovely bikes :thumb
    ishmac likes this.
  12. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    2010 continued...

With the Africa Twin away to pastures new, I was down to one bike, my 1991 FJ1200 - a true classic :clap

[​IMG]

So I sold that too :loco

After a month or two, Mrs JRT said ‘when are you going to buy another bike?’. I must’ve been getting under her feet :lol3. What I wanted was the best of both worlds, the go anywhere ability of the Africa Twin and the comfort and extra oomph of the FJ12.

:hmmmmm:hmmmmm:hmmmmm

ishmac and Shaggie like this.
  13. pictish ratter

Oddometer:
    13062159_10205281795958389_2668237953671759039_n.jpg

Attached Files:

JimRidesThis likes this.
  14. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
  15. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    I’m obviously going to be having a restless night (the snotty beginnings of a cold I think:dirtdog) so I might as well crack on with the ‘show and tell’ ...

Where was I... oh yes, still in early 2010, bikeless, annoying Mrs JRT just by being around :D and looking for something that combined the best qualities of the Africa Twin and the FJ. So I bought one of these...

[​IMG]

Great minds this alike @pictish ratter, or is it fools seldom differ? :jack Yep, I bought an R1100GS. To a certain extent it fulfilled the brief - comfortable, a bit more poke than the AT, surprisingly capable off-road and not too shoddy off road either. It probably wasn’t the best example when I bought it, but by the time I sold it 6 years later, it was well sorted. And I’d had some fun with it outside the workshop too - with a fantastic trip to Austria in 2012 with my mate, Fewtrees

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

syntec4, ishmac and Shaggie like this.
  16. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    About the same time as I got the GS, I also picked up a nice little XT250 ‘in need of attention’ for next to nowt...

[​IMG]
    This is obviously after I got it back up and running!

The XT was a far better tool on which to explore the byways of Cumbria...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dirty girl! :D

pictish ratter, ishmac and Shaggie like this.
  17. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    No expense was spent on the XT’s renovation :lol3

[​IMG]
    Decompressor blanking plate. I suppose I could have used a 10 pence piece and doubled the value of the bike.

[​IMG]
    Replacement side panel come heat shield. From Touratech I think :hmmmmm:lol3

It was a great little bike, very manageable and it got me thinking about how I’d like a larger single cylinder bike - 500cc plus. I’ve always liked the idea of big singles - simplicity, light weight, etc. but never owned one. That was about to change :-)

Okay, I’m going to try and get some kip now. Wish me luck :-)

B10Dave, pictish ratter and Shaggie like this.
  18. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Luck!! :wave
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  19. ishmac

ishmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great motorcycle memories there Jim, love your photography also, quirky stuff which I enjoy! We rode Austria about 7/8yrs ago and fell in love with it on the big V-Strom thou.

A biker mate of mine has eighty motorcycles living in two huge sheds - unreal.

I've just got myself a we 2005 Honda 125cc Innova Scooter to play with, needs a small amount of sorting out, should have it on the road for the Spring.

mac
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  20. pictish ratter

Oddometer:
    10462570_10201688498568200_5121337367629063426_n.jpg
    Yeah My 1100 wasnt the best example bit dogeared but not abused ,spoke to the 1st owner on ukgser after I posted a pic of it ,it was a german import and imported by crewe bmw who went over to germany with a container and bought a load of 1100GS's ,he had it for a good few yrs went to europe a few times then sold it on to another game keeper on Glamis castle estate who had it for another few yrs then sold it on, I found it on gumtree just by chance I'd always fancied one but they were out my price range or a way down south so it was a surprise to find just up the road in blairgowrie ,so made arrangements to see it an jumped in car the nxt week ,took it a wee jaunt to the nxt village then went back and agreed on the price the guy was wanting rid as it was too tall n heavy for him plus he was wanting another classic car,its been pretty reliable, renewed the rear fd bearing and paralever bearings, rear brake hose to a braided steel one ,new battery,plugs oil etc and Ive just put in a new hall sensor as it was playing up and a new alt belt seeing as I was in there anyhoo..took me ages to get used to it ..still do some days gearchange is sweet and others its like stirring a bucket o bolts :D I kept saying I'm selling it but 4yrs on its still here..lol and the FJ was good when I got it lots of powder coated bits n bobs, swing arm, yokes,subframe and stainless nuts n bolts through out ,I fitted the givi boxes n frames also the blue spot calipers off an r6 and a gixxer 750 17'' rear wheel to get rid of the standard truck tyre 16'' for ease of better rubber ,shorter suspension links and a hagon shock, and a top yoke off the new yamaha xj 6 di version which fits straight on and comes with risers ..both bikes Ol skool air cooled not much to go wrong with them :)
    JimRidesThis likes this.