Joburg to Cairo (and maybe bit further)

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by tomdan, Feb 1, 2018.

1. tomdan

tomdan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy, looking for recommendations or information as possible...am planning a trip from Joburg to Cairo early May via east side of continent but probably avoiding Zim. I'm an expat in SA on fifo gig and intention is to buy a bike in SA then ride it to Cairo....will be looking at a simple and inexpensive bike that can be fixed along the way if shits itself but keen to hear opinions on routes, countries, problems etc
    Thanks in advance
  2. rydetheworld

rydetheworld All you need is a little dirt

Oddometer:
    I know a few that have done this ride. It’s a beautiful ride. I live in Uganda. Which will hopefully be on your route. We have a great local mechanic. Kenya has a few dealers that can sort larger issues. Recommend a new enough bike that would have fewer problems like a GS or an older bike that you can fix your self.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    Why avoid Zim, it's a lovely place, just watch those speed limits. The alternative up through Botswana via Nata is a bit dull in comparison. Make sure you can access you documents easily, we got stopped 10 times in 100km in Malawi (which is very beautiful so is forgiven :D )
  4. Hondak4

Hondak4 n00b

Oddometer:
    If you are planning on Tanzania, drop me a line. Have fun.