John Hunt Morgan Heritage trail - So. Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ImaPoser, Jun 25, 2006.

1. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    Warning!!! I bothered to stop and take lots of photos today, and I'm posting them all.:fitz

THE JOHN HUNT MORGAN HERITAGE TRAIL
    This ride came up as a response to another ride report. I had never heard of it before, and it ends about five miles from my house, so naturally, I needed to ride it.

On the website, you can request a map. I got it and did my best to enter all the points into the GPS. Ended up with 52 waypoints programmed, and was right on track 98% of the time. After doing the ride, I'd say if you have the map and are good about watching for the trail markers, you could do it easily without GPS, but it was nice to have in spots. It MUST be done from west to east, as there are no turn markers visible going in the other direction. It only makes sense, as your following the route John Morgan took in 1863.

GETTING THERE:

For me, this had the potential to be the best part. Indiana 62 starts about twenty miles into Indiana, right off of US 50. I have ridden it many many times as it is the funnest way to head west from here. This was the first time I bothered to take pictures along the way....

the beginning:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To hell with the deer, watch out for the cows!:eek1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Choices choices...(too far out to read, both of the roads are west routes, the upper one has the twisty road warnign marked 30, the bottom one is marked 20:evil :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those were al taken on the stretch from Dillsboro to Madison. It isn't nearly as fun(ok, it's boring) from there to I-65, and then piggybacks on I-64 for a short distance before heading off for more fun. Shortly after it splits from I-64, I turned south on Indiana 11. I didnt' stop for any photos along that part, but if your in the area, make sure to mark it on you to do map. :nod
  2. ImaPoser

Oddometer:
    The Trial:

Starts here:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back the way I came on 11. Those are the most typical signs you need to be keeping an eye out for:
    [​IMG]

Fir water crossing for the day. Not as bad as it looks. You just have to keep the speed up and avoid the barges.:augie
    [​IMG]

Ok. This is where the raiding party crossed the river. Sign number two was suposed to be at the top of the road, but was MIA.:scratch

The other style sign to keep an eye out for:
    [​IMG]

About four miles from the start, the trail splits off of the state roads for the county backroads. This would be the type of riding for the rest of the day.
    [​IMG]

only a couple miles further along, the first gravel came into site:
    [​IMG]

Next stop:
    [​IMG]

Looking back up the road:
    [​IMG]

And down:
    [​IMG]

Next stop, Corydon:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up, palmyra:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

more gravel:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were so many of these signs on most of the towns I ended up having to skip them. It was taking me alot of time to cover very little ground.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I missed a sign in there somehow, I know thee were two I just couldn't find, but number eight wasn't one of them. I just forgot to snap the piccy.:doh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you take the photos to original size on smuggy, you can read it and see why I had to take a photo of this as well.....
    [​IMG]

On the directions, they say the water crossing should not be done after a period of heavy rain, so I was figuring on a dry ditch crossing. This is almost a bit more than I was willing to do:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thankfully it wasn't too deep, and had a solid hard bottom to it, but the green gunk was a little thick in some spots and slippery. Only one real pucker spot for a water crossing virgin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the map, they make mention about it being off the beaten path, no gas or food readily available, and they aren't exactly wrong. I know I was never more than fifteen miles from a gas station, but if you follow the path perfectly, you will miss most of them. I had to go an extra couple of miles down the road to get gas after this stop, and let the trusty ole garmin take me back on course. Apparently, the garmin folks don't have to bother with things like millitary areas.:bluduh
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More gravel up towards the end:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

church is still there:
    [​IMG]

And the tavern in 1863 is still a tavern.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Six hours on the trail without really taking the time to do it right. I hurried from one spot to the next, and passed up umpteen other historical sites to explore as well. Overall, I'd say its got less than ten miles of well groomed gravel, sixty or so miles of state highways, a hundred miles of county backroads, and zero miles of interstate. Overall, it was a nine hour day roundtrip, so if your not really local, it's not a one day deal.
    A decent mix of riding, history, and scenery(yeah, midwest scenery. at least it's green:fitz). A perfect route for a poser to justify an Advbike. :lol3
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice :thumb
  4. ghostdncr

ghostdncr Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer:
    Damnit, damnit, damnit!!!

I knew it would be like this when I stripped my bike for painting! :baldy
  5. ImaPoser

Oddometer:
    OK. Let's see if this works. Someone(:scratch I don't remember, thanks though.) asked for the GPS route and sent it back to me as a GPX file. Gonna try and attach it here.