Josh Goes to Venezuela

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by ScootersNotBombs, Feb 14, 2016.

1. ScootersNotBombs

ScootersNotBombs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good morning! I am considering a teaching job that has been offered to me in Venezuela. I live in Atlanta, and would be bringing my bike (09 f650gs) down when I move there. Lecheria / Barcelona area. Any issues / concerns about importing a used bike to keep with me in Venezuela? Thanks! And then I am going to need riding friends! Ha!
  2. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    VZ is a wonderful country and loads of great areas to explore but at the current time I would think sitting back and watch what happens would be better than right in the middle of it. VZ is going through some big changes right now and is not at the most stable time in its history. The border with Colombia is still closed as far as I know. I've still got a bike in country that I've been trying to get out for sometime. As of 2012 they didn't have any new bikes over 650cc for sale. They did have a license to produce both the klr 650 and the wee strom 650 that where/are very popular in VZ. Much has changed and getting parts has become more of an issue now, bmw would be even more difficult than the klr or wee.

Have you taught English abroad before in a Latin American country? What type of setup is it? A confined expat school or local university? Security is going to be a main issue for you.
  3. ScootersNotBombs

Oddometer:
    Thank you! It is a private America language school. Mostly kids in the petroleum industry. Thanks for the info. If I get my bike in, can I keep it there if it is still registered in the US??
  4. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    You will only be able to keep it there for the duration of the 90 day temporary import plus one extension if you are going the legal route, me not so legal:lol3 You would have to get very creative with the paperwork to keep US plates on it.
    You will always be a bit of a target on big foreign plated bike but can make it if you play it safe and little luck traveling around. This is just not the safest time in VZ, especially the big cities. I would imagine if it is a private school in a secure compound with good security you would be doing as well as anybody especially if the company you work for hauls in all their own supplies, if working for local school system I'd be way more weary. I would make a site visit and check it out yourself before I signed up for anything. It really is so sad to see such a wonderful country have so much insecurity, the price of the oil is not helping at all.
  5. ChileGS

ChileGS ChileGSer

Oddometer:
    Be very careful here. Venezuela and their oil industry are on the verge of a major meltdown and you could be caught in the middle faster than you think. i would say NO to taking in a bike, Throttlemeister lists the reasons, and think carefully about going in at all and then with just a suitcase and a fast escape plan.
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  6. ScootersNotBombs

Oddometer:
    I will be in Puerto La Cruiz. Signed the paperwork yesterday, so I guess I'm going, ha!
  7. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    Just watch yourself, it is a wonderful country to explore, The Gran Sabana awaits. Good luck amigo, be sure and post up how things go.:lurk

btw what happened to Lecheria gig? It would have thought it been better than Puerto La Cruz. Think this is one of the only pictures I took passing through on the outskirts, flares a burning:
    [​IMG]
  8. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Having not been there, and having just talked two days ago to someone that lives in VZ, I wouldn't visit or live just now. Seems like an all around bad idea. The vote to remove Maduro is coming up in a few weeks, and i don't see any good coming from any of that.
  9. ScootersNotBombs

Oddometer:
  10. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:

Man I've been weary of .ve for a while. I suppose it's the usual "media" hype thing, like .mx is in the .us. All few people I've talked to about that country has nothing but bad things to say. The 6$ apples, the 10$ rolls of toilet paper......
    TanukiPDX likes this.
  11. ScootersNotBombs

Oddometer:
    Ha!!! I think i am gong to be buying most of my toilet paper on the Brown Market
    SkizzMan likes this.
  12. Smithee

Smithee Head Bottle Washer

Oddometer:
  13. ChileGS

ChileGS ChileGSer

Oddometer:
    This is from two years ago, however,,,, no less true.
  14. ScootersNotBombs

Oddometer:
    Yo!
    I made it, although the original plan changed about a thousand times. I axed the Idea of bringing a bike. I bought a 2013 KLR before i left from a trusted teacher source. (Although i am having "Fun" with all of the paper work.....)

Live is good. This place is a beautiful Chaos. Hit me up on WhatsApp if you are around +17703784405
    EvrythingAwesom likes this.
  15. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    Good luck!

I figured you'd changed your plans as I'd not heard from you. Happens all the time.

You're better off without a BMW and all it's electronics down here.
  16. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    Good luck down there, things are way up in the air with some wild stuff going on, Colombian border still closed I guess? My Brazil visa runs out in 2019 so hopefully I'll be back down there before that...

Interested to hear how things go for you, keep on updating the thread.
  17. EvrythingAwesom

EvrythingAwesom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi, can you describe the situation in Venezuela? Are the stories by Dollar Vigilante true, the latest one, that work camps are being created?

Photos?
  18. EvrythingAwesom

EvrythingAwesom Long timer

Oddometer:
    What about locally-grown fruits, expensive too?

The alternative to toilet paper is simple: A $20 water jet. Common all over the world. No need for toilet paper.
  19. ScootersNotBombs

Oddometer:
    It is really not fair for me to comment, because I am making US$. I can afford to buy food at the inflated rate and blackmarket. The long lines you see on the news are the lines for local folks who must buy priced controlled goods from the govt. I brought 18 rolls of toilet paper with me :) I have heard rumor about the "Work Farms" but who the hell knows. Im just trying to find good beer! And a new battery for my KLR!
  20. ScootersNotBombs

Oddometer:
    I make US$, so i can afford to buy on the black market and in more expensive stores. The lines are true, the affordable staples must be bought at priced controlled stores. These are the pictures you always see. Some stuff is very hard to find. Heinz mustard- 8bucks. Gluten Free Cheerios (why the hell would anyone want those?) 17$. 1 pack of ramen, 2$. I brought 18 rolls of toilet paper in my luggage ;) What i really need is fancy beer and a new battery for this KLR! First world problems i suppose! Local(ish) veggies are a pretty affordable route.
    EvrythingAwesom likes this.